HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 01, 2012, 01:32 AM
Pollock Pines, CA
Joined Aug 2002
1,459 Posts
Build Log
F3d skynight build

After talking with Corsair nut I've decided to start a Quick Build Skynight. I'm going to try and have it ready for Vegas. I've just about finished the A-4 "Scooter" and have been toying with either an F-100 Hun or the Skynight. Nut convinced me to do the F3D. Thanks, Nut.

I got a good start on the bird. However, I may have to do the entire layout by hand. I'm having some problems scaling this thing up. I've got the nose pretty much done.

I really like the "Marine" gray scheme.

Den

Dmerino is offline Find More Posts by Dmerino
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 01, 2012, 08:43 AM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
20,825 Posts
sweet! this will be the first skynight model ive ever seen fly! given the wing and tail, should make a really nice flying model!
corsair nut is online now Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old Aug 01, 2012, 01:08 PM
Pollock Pines, CA
Joined Aug 2002
1,459 Posts
It should fly like a park flier, although I'm putting a 2200kv Hobby City motor with a high speed prop and 4 lipo pack battery. It should fly pretty good, but I'm wondering about those straight wings slowing it down.

I hope I get it finished, Nut.

Den

Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair nut View Post
sweet! this will be the first skynight model ive ever seen fly! given the wing and tail, should make a really nice flying model!
Old Aug 01, 2012, 02:12 PM
The world in foam & tissue
Rochester NY
Joined May 2010
600 Posts
Cool! Should turn out great as your build do! Still, I like your WW2 birds the best.
Rasterize is offline Find More Posts by Rasterize
Last edited by Rasterize; Aug 01, 2012 at 02:47 PM.
Old Aug 01, 2012, 02:51 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
20,825 Posts
nah, those straight wings are whats going to make it fly so nice!!! lots of lift, light wing laoding. should be awesome!

all that talk about FJ-1's has me wanting to scratch build one.hmm....about 85" i recon....5" fan. man, that would be cool. if you designed one at about 35-36" wingspan, it would be perfect for the affordable 50mm j power edf setup. if got a few, and you could have one for the project. they put out great power on 4s 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmerino View Post
It should fly like a park flier, although I'm putting a 2200kv Hobby City motor with a high speed prop and 4 lipo pack battery. It should fly pretty good, but I'm wondering about those straight wings slowing it down.

I hope I get it finished, Nut.

Den
Old Aug 02, 2012, 03:23 PM
Pollock Pines, CA
Joined Aug 2002
1,459 Posts
Hey, Rasterize,

If you ever want to give this type of a build a shot I will give you the Corel e files and you can get them scaled up or down without problem and have them printed at Kinkos. This goes for anyone else that would like to give this type of build a shot. I would be more than happy to give you instructions on the Hurricane and A-4. I don't have them on the others, but these instructions are not rocket science and anyone can extrapolate them into another design. If you have any problems I would be happy to help.

Den

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasterize View Post
Cool! Should turn out great as your build do! Still, I like your WW2 birds the best.
Old Aug 02, 2012, 03:27 PM
Pollock Pines, CA
Joined Aug 2002
1,459 Posts
Hi Nut,

How about after Vegas and the F3D, I design a FJ-1 that can be scaled up or down to any size? You can get the file printed at Kinkos from the e file I will send you. We can work together these, you on the 85" version while I work on the 36" version. We could work it step by step.

Any interest?

Den

Quote:
nah, those straight wings are whats going to make it fly so nice!!! lots of lift, light wing laoding. should be awesome!

all that talk about FJ-1's has me wanting to scratch build one.hmm....about 85" i recon....5" fan. man, that would be cool. if you designed one at about 35-36" wingspan, it would be perfect for the affordable 50mm j power edf setup. if got a few, and you could have one for the project. they put out great power on 4s 1000
Old Aug 02, 2012, 03:58 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
20,825 Posts
well, i just need a 3 view. ill probably build as box with foam in corners and shape it out. though rolling one from depron would be cool and super light, i think maybe it would work well in FFF then glass, but i can get ahold of fff. depron is too hard to roll in 6mm, i might be able to do it in 3mm, but i think i prefer the box and shape method. if got a couple huge sheets of 1" blue foam.

after vegas sounds good, i ineed to concentrate on the T-38 right now....
Old Aug 02, 2012, 07:54 PM
Pollock Pines, CA
Joined Aug 2002
1,459 Posts
Sounds good, Nut. One of these days I'm going to get you to try one of these. The fuse, vert. stab, etc. are 1mm foam laminated with printed paper on the outside. Not too bad to roll form and is strong as an ox when done. I glassed some stress points on the inside of the Oscar and a lot of the A-4. The Scooter took a header, when we forgot to save the aileron reverse on the trans. She would be about 3" long now if I didn't glass the inside.

Anyway we can talk more in Vegas.

Take care.

Den

Quote:
well, i just need a 3 view. ill probably build as box with foam in corners and shape it out. though rolling one from depron would be cool and super light, i think maybe it would work well in FFF then glass, but i can get ahold of fff. depron is too hard to roll in 6mm, i might be able to do it in 3mm, but i think i prefer the box and shape method. if got a couple huge sheets of 1" blue foam.

after vegas sounds good, i ineed to concentrate on the T-38 right now....
Old Aug 06, 2012, 12:01 AM
Pollock Pines, CA
Joined Aug 2002
1,459 Posts
Making some progress in the design and layout thanks to Rasterize. He inspired me to explore Corel draw in order to manipulate Vector files. Also, I want to thank Christoph Stahl who designed the original Skynight paper model. Thanks to both of these guys I've saved weeks of computer design. I'm feeling a little more confident about getting it done for Vegas.

Dennis
Old Aug 06, 2012, 06:17 PM
Pollock Pines, CA
Joined Aug 2002
1,459 Posts
Here are some photos of the revised nose for the Skyhawk. This is a proof-of-concept paper model. You can see the glue separating from one of the parts, but this will work on the model. This is actual size.

Dennis
Old Aug 07, 2012, 12:38 AM
United States, CA, Lancaster
Joined Jan 2009
1,193 Posts
90mm resized

It looks like at 72" wingspan twin Midi's will fit. Intakes are under 4" (12.5 sq in), and FSA on a 90 is 8sq in.
Looks like xplane has this. This can be converted into dxf file and sliced to make formers.
p901P901 is offline Find More Posts by p901P901
Last edited by p901P901; Aug 09, 2012 at 05:18 AM. Reason: Added pictures
Old Aug 07, 2012, 03:53 PM
Pollock Pines, CA
Joined Aug 2002
1,459 Posts
Interesting design for the EDF's. I was thinking about trying one in this, but I'm not experienced with fans and am a little intimidated.

Some day.....

Peace,
Dennis

Quote:
Originally Posted by p901P901 View Post
It looks like at 72" wingspan twin Midi's will fit. Intakes are under 4" (12.5 sq in), and FSA on a 90 is 8sq in.
Old Aug 09, 2012, 02:56 PM
United States, CA, Lancaster
Joined Jan 2009
1,193 Posts
Formers for 72" WS

Sliced the Xplane image into 4" section (nose is 5").
Compared Xplane model to 3 view. The one top compare 1, side compare 1 and front compare 1. 3 view is from here http://www.aviastar.org/pictures/usa..._skyknight.gif. Looks like the author of the xplane model used this 3 view.

Templates are naca 2415 inboard and naca 2410 outboard. There is 2 degree washout and 3.5 degree dihedral. Wing CG is 25% Mac.
p901P901 is offline Find More Posts by p901P901
Last edited by p901P901; Aug 09, 2012 at 09:06 PM. Reason: Wings
Old Aug 09, 2012, 11:11 PM
Pollock Pines, CA
Joined Aug 2002
1,459 Posts
I enjoy the computer graphics. I've completed my graphics and layout of the skins and formers for the Skynight. I used the same reference drawings as the Xplane development. I would like to see another Skynight out there somewhere.

Here are some of my drawings for the Skynight. Anyone is free to use these to there hearts content.

I've printed out all of the parts and will start construction on the fuse. tomorrow.

Peace,
Den

Quote:
Originally Posted by p901P901 View Post
Sliced the Xplane image into 4" section (nose is 5").
Compared Xplane model to 3 view. The one top compare 1, side compare 1 and front compare 1. 3 view is from here http://www.aviastar.org/pictures/usa..._skyknight.gif. Looks like the author of the xplane model used this 3 view.

Templates are naca 2415 inboard and naca 2410 outboard. There is 2 degree washout and 3.5 degree dihedral. Wing CG is 25% Mac.