Old Jan 17, 2011, 04:53 AM
Fidler & twidler
Cranfield U.K.
Joined Mar 2004
3,837 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerClown View Post
Hey guys,
could anyone give me info about how much capturing time you get from 2gb, 4gb, 8gb memory cards?
Thank you :
look 2 posts back at #778 and then do a little maths.
Mike
empeabee is online now Find More Posts by empeabee
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 17, 2011, 06:22 AM
HBZ Champ Bush Edition + DX6i
Espoo, Finland
Joined Jan 2011
42 Posts
Any photos of barebone installations of this cam - I am planning to use this with HBZ Champ, and hence need to shave all excess weight, including the case (not sure about the battery - could draw power from the flight battery, but not sure if I want to cut down the flight time).

I would assume a shrinkwrap could do the trick (just remove the case and wrap the whole thing, incl. battery, and cut a hole for USB charge port)?
feath3r is offline Find More Posts by feath3r
Old Jan 17, 2011, 06:25 AM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
15,851 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by feath3r View Post
Any photos of barebone installations of this cam - I am planning to use this with HBZ Champ, and hence need to shave all excess weight, including the case (not sure about the battery - could draw power from the flight battery, but not sure if I want to cut down the flight time).

I would assume a shrinkwrap could do the trick (just remove the case and wrap the whole thing, incl. battery, and cut a hole for USB charge port)?
The camera only weighs 15 grams or about .5 ounce.
Prof100 is offline Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 17, 2011, 06:40 AM
HBZ Champ Bush Edition + DX6i
Espoo, Finland
Joined Jan 2011
42 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
The camera only weighs 15 grams or about .5 ounce.
Yes, that's correct, and saw some photos of a barebone (without a case) weighting 9.7 grams, so around 30 percent weight loss is possible. On a 37 g plane 5 g makes a difference already Not sure though if the operation of the camera will become a burden without the proper buttons (mine's still in the mail)
feath3r is offline Find More Posts by feath3r
Old Jan 17, 2011, 07:16 AM
not running for the exercise
Joined Jan 2011
235 Posts
Quote:
Yes, that's correct, and saw some photos of a barebone (without a case) weighting 9.7 grams, so around 30 percent weight loss is possible. On a 37 g plane 5 g makes a difference already Not sure though if the operation of the camera will become a burden without the proper buttons (mine's still in the mail)
Did you see Yabba's answer to your original question? (post 662 here)
airmob is offline Find More Posts by airmob
Old Jan 17, 2011, 08:14 AM
Joined Mar 2001
2,613 Posts
Quote:

I have mounted the regular SD 808 on the bottom of a Champ, and it flew fine with no modification to the camera. I don't know what your experience with electronics is, but these little things are fragile. My own recommendation would be to leave it in the case; I ruined one last week just by trying to focus it. Although I thought I was being careful, I shorted something and POOF, the camera was dead. I would assume the HD model is just as fragile as the SD model.

Tony
t-turley is offline Find More Posts by t-turley
Old Jan 17, 2011, 10:24 AM
Ithaca, NY
Joined Jan 2011
66 Posts
Hey guys, stepped up from lurking.
I have experience with two previous models of the gumstick cam. One shoots 640x480, the other has a "fake" HD of 1280x720, but it really just upconverted 640x480. I went looking to see if they had a true HD version out yet, and stumbled upon Chucklor's site referencing the 808 cameras. I saw there was a new #11 HD version, and was linked over to this thread. I read a little of the first page, and ordered one from eletoponline.

My first question was going to be recommended SD card. I've got a 4GB SDHC class 4 PNY card, so I think that will be fast enough (I hope). Recent posts say that will record about 80 minutes of video. But I'm surprised that it only gives about 40 minutes of recording on a battery charge? My other two cams run almost 2 hours, so I'll have to get used to this limitation. Still, I'm really looking forward to h264 over mjpeg and true HD.

Also, I'm not following this 'new firmware' with continuous shooting that may come out after the Chinese New Year. On my other two cameras the movie was always saved continuously, so even if you run it to dead battery, the movie is saved. Is that not the case with this current firmware? Will I need to recover the camera before the battery dies and push the shutter button?
Fred79 is online now Find More Posts by Fred79
Old Jan 17, 2011, 10:31 AM
USA, NC, Apex
Joined Aug 2003
826 Posts
Thanks to all for pointing out that I needed a memory card. Went out and bought one and now the camera works fine. Amazing video quality for such a small camera. Looking forward to using this alot, both as an inflight camera and as a hands-free flight video recorder (attached to a ballcap or to my glasses).

Tim
Tim Cullip is offline Find More Posts by Tim Cullip
Old Jan 17, 2011, 11:35 AM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
15,851 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Cullip View Post
Thanks to all for pointing out that I needed a memory card. Went out and bought one and now the camera works fine. Amazing video quality for such a small camera. Looking forward to using this alot, both as an inflight camera and as a hands-free flight video recorder (attached to a ballcap or to my glasses).

Tim
Tim,

All is good. Congratulations.

Bill
Prof100 is offline Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 17, 2011, 11:42 AM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
16,590 Posts
Quote:
Without the case, the lens module will just dangle from it's ribbon cable... VIBRATION! Poor video and stress the cable. As a minimum, put heat shrink over the whole circuit board to stabilize the lens and prevent shorting the board and bricking it (VERY easy to do with bare hand handling).

People have flown the camera on these tiny planes WITH the case.
Tom Frank is offline Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Last edited by Tom Frank; Jan 17, 2011 at 01:37 PM.
Old Jan 17, 2011, 11:43 AM
United States, IA, Mason City
Joined Oct 2008
292 Posts
Quote:

I decased one of my SD #3's right after I got it. The buttons are easy to press on the bare board. I didn't shrinkwrap it or anything, just velcro or tape it to a different plane every day. It has survived a 200 ft fall from a plane (it just fell off the plane onto concrete, bad tape job). They really are fragile, but only when you mess with the little connections inside; lens adjustment, battery replacement, etc.
Acorns is offline Find More Posts by Acorns
Old Jan 17, 2011, 11:54 AM
Ithaca, NY
Joined Jan 2011
66 Posts
What kind of battery upgrade could be done to extend the battery life?
Fred79 is online now Find More Posts by Fred79
Old Jan 17, 2011, 02:02 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
16,590 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred79 View Post
What kind of battery upgrade could be done to extend the battery life?
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=569
Old Jan 17, 2011, 02:23 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
16,590 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
I bought two of them on ebay. They are on the way.

Bill
Bill,

I think you were the first (and maybe the last) to order one of these external chargers on Ebay before they pulled the ad. When you get your external charger, can you do a test to see how much longer the recording time is with a given size (mAh) AA cell? I'd also like to know what the output voltage is from the charger. I've got some old lipos that still have capacity, but drop the voltage too much for powering a motor. Might work just fine for powering the camera with proper voltage regulation.
Last edited by Tom Frank; Jan 17, 2011 at 02:59 PM.
Old Jan 17, 2011, 02:47 PM
Knoxville, TN
Joined Apr 2008
878 Posts
Does anyone have trouble copying the files directly from the camera hooked up to the computer? I can't seem to get it to work in U Disk mode. It charges fine with USB, but when I turn it on, the computer still doesn't recognize it. I'm using Win7x64 and it recognizes all of the other memory cards I have just fine. I have to take the memory card out and stick it in a micro memory card reader and that works. It would be nice if I could just copy/move directly from the camera.
Kerbob is offline Find More Posts by Kerbob
Closed Thread