HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 25, 2010, 08:06 PM
My next plane will be better
SW Michigan
Joined Aug 2010
46 Posts
Discussion
plane battery size

I just purchased a 60 size trainer and need to know what size battery I need to power the reciever and 5 standard size servos.

Thanks,
Bob
3sportbob is offline Find More Posts by 3sportbob
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 25, 2010, 08:30 PM
Globby Gluer
Dundalk, Maryland
Joined Jan 2009
134 Posts
I use a 5 cell 1000mAH 6v NI-CD battery (Futaba NR-5RB) in my trainer.

Though you could also use a 1000-1300mAH 2 Cell Li-Po if you wanted. they are a little more work to charge, (you cant charge them in the fuse, unless you dont care about the risk of burning, unlike a nicd or nimh which you could just hang a charge lead out of the wing) but they usually last a lot longer than the ni-cd and ni-mh..

you should also get a $5 balance charger if you decide to go li-po, i wouldnt recommend charging through the main connector.
Jvelo7892 is offline Find More Posts by Jvelo7892
Old Aug 25, 2010, 11:45 PM
United States, NJ, Middlesex
Joined Feb 2008
1,193 Posts
anything 700mah and above is fine. I used to have a 700 mah battery in my trainer and it was still in the green after 4-5 15 minute flights. I now have 1400mah in both my planes and its just overkill. Just make sure you always check with a volt meter before every flight.
RedStarArmy is offline Find More Posts by RedStarArmy
Old Aug 26, 2010, 06:35 AM
SW Michigan
Joined Aug 2010
46 Posts
thanks guys - I do have a 1000 mah 4.8 v 4 cell pack. I thought it might be a little small but I will use that and keep checking with a volt meter.
Old Aug 26, 2010, 01:13 PM
Sandy Springs, GA
Joined Jul 2008
494 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesb21222 View Post
I use a 5 cell 1000mAH 6v NI-CD battery (Futaba NR-5RB) in my trainer.

Though you could also use a 1000-1300mAH 2 Cell Li-Po if you wanted. they are a little more work to charge, (you cant charge them in the fuse, unless you dont care about the risk of burning, unlike a nicd or nimh which you could just hang a charge lead out of the wing) but they usually last a lot longer than the ni-cd and ni-mh..

you should also get a $5 balance charger if you decide to go li-po, i wouldnt recommend charging through the main connector.
If you use a LiPo you must use a regulator to cut the voltage to 5 volts. Otherwise, you will burn out your servos. Unless of course, they are the new high voltage servos which I doubt.

Bruce
landeck is online now Find More Posts by landeck
Old Aug 26, 2010, 04:06 PM
Joined Feb 2008
1,193 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by landeck View Post
If you use a LiPo you must use a regulator to cut the voltage to 5 volts. Otherwise, you will burn out your servos. Unless of course, they are the new high voltage servos which I doubt.

Bruce
He stated that his pack is 4.8.
Old Aug 27, 2010, 07:36 AM
Sandy Springs, GA
Joined Jul 2008
494 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedStarArmy View Post
He stated that his pack is 4.8.
I was responding to Jamesb21222 who suggested using a LiPo battery.

Bruce
landeck is online now Find More Posts by landeck
Old Aug 27, 2010, 09:52 AM
Joined Feb 2008
1,193 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by landeck View Post
I was responding to Jamesb21222 who suggested using a LiPo battery.

Bruce
My mistake, I didn't see who the quote was from
Old Sep 03, 2010, 02:28 PM
jib
Chief Mechanic for my son
Covington, WA
Joined Oct 2008
377 Posts
I'll be the foil here. I won't put anything smaller than a 1500mA pack in any (except combat) plane because the few extra grams provide a lot of safety net on running low on power.

If you have a healthy 1000, then run it. but if you need to buy/build a new pack upsize.

Jack
jib is offline Find More Posts by jib
Old Sep 03, 2010, 02:45 PM
"Chuck Yeager"
Bradenton FL
Joined Apr 2010
842 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jib View Post
I'll be the foil here. I won't put anything smaller than a 1500mA pack in any (except combat) plane because the few extra grams provide a lot of safety net on running low on power.

If you have a healthy 1000, then run it. but if you need to buy/build a new pack upsize.

Jack

I won't use anything smaller than 2000mah 5cell 6v packs, for only 20 bucks and minimal extra weight it's good peace of mind!
hotdog1 is offline Find More Posts by hotdog1
Old Sep 04, 2010, 09:22 AM
SW Michigan
Joined Aug 2010
46 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jib View Post

Jack
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotdog1 View Post
I won't use anything smaller than 2000mah 5cell 6v packs, for only 20 bucks and minimal extra weight it's good peace of mind!

Thanks guys good info. The 1000mah pack I have is brand new so will use it for now and upgrade on down the road.

Right now I'm having issues with my arf. It arrived with parts missing and a broken pushrod sleeve resulting in me removing the covering from the bottom and having to fab up some servo trays and replace the sleeve. I'm getting there and should be flying it next week.<crosses fingers> I'll never buy another arf.