HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 29, 2009, 05:03 AM
Gary P
Joined Aug 2007
224 Posts
Discussion
Do Spektrum receivers work with the different channel assignment of JR radios?

JR radios do not have the throttle on channel 1 for elec glider programming (on 9303, PCM12X etc throttle is on channel 5 (or 7 if there are flaps).

The Spektrum AR500 receiver treats channel 1 as the throttle and I think maybe all Spektrum receivers do the same.

My question is: does a Spektrum receiver sense the JR radio and treat channel 5 as the throttle? Or does it keep trying to treat 1 as the throttle, in which case it's actually messing with the left aileron when it puts the throttle to idle in failsafe?

If the AR500 cannot accept that the throttle is on channel 5, maybe Spektrum receivers marketed specifically for gliders (such as AR6250) can, so they work better with JR-radio gliders?
flamehead is offline Find More Posts by flamehead
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 29, 2009, 06:31 AM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
I use a spektrum module and a variety of different spektrum receivers with my multiplex EVO. One of the great features of the EVO is that you can assign any function/servo to any channel. Everything works as expected, I just ignore the "throttle, elevator, aileron" labels on the receiver ..
..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old Jun 29, 2009, 06:52 AM
Hervey Bay, Sunny Qld, Australia
Joined Jun 2001
1,744 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamehead
JR radios do not have the throttle on channel 1 for elec glider programming (on 9303, PCM12X etc throttle is on channel 5 (or 7 if there are flaps).

The Spektrum AR500 receiver treats channel 1 as the throttle and I think maybe all Spektrum receivers do the same.

My question is: does a Spektrum receiver sense the JR radio and treat channel 5 as the throttle? Or does it keep trying to treat 1 as the throttle, in which case it's actually messing with the left aileron when it puts the throttle to idle in failsafe?

If the AR500 cannot accept that the throttle is on channel 5, maybe Spektrum receivers marketed specifically for gliders (such as AR6250) can, so they work better with JR-radio gliders?
Mode 1 or 2? Cause I'm on Mode 1 and throttle has always been channel 1 for my electric gliders.
Masterpiece is offline Find More Posts by Masterpiece
Old Jun 29, 2009, 08:08 AM
Gary P
Joined Aug 2007
224 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterpiece
Mode 1 or 2? Cause I'm on Mode 1 and throttle has always been channel 1 for my electric gliders.
Mode 2.
On JR radios with 9 or more channels, the 'acro' (ie normal plane) program has the throttle etc on the normal channels, but the 'glider' program has the channels in a weird order: 1 = left ail, 2 = right ail, 3 = elev, 4 = rudder, 5 = throttle.
I could use the acro programming for my gliders, but then I would miss some glider functions, so I'd prefer to use the glider programming if the Spektrum receivers can cope with receiving the throttle on 5.
Old Jun 29, 2009, 08:43 AM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
They can cope with throttle on any channel. That was my point, the receiver doesn't know or care what function is assigned to a channel..
..a
Old Jun 29, 2009, 09:09 AM
Gary P
Joined Aug 2007
224 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy W
They can cope with throttle on any channel. That was my point, the receiver doesn't know or care what function is assigned to a channel..
..a
Thanks, that's good to know.

What confused me is the Spektrum AR500 brochure says it treats the throttle chanel differently - in failsafe it stops sending signals to all channels except the throttle channel, which it sets to idle.

What led me to ask the question is I'm having trouble on startup: the speed controller beeps to say it's detected an improper throttle signal, and the receiver blinks to say it's received a brown out. I'm guessing this could be the receiver sending no signal on 5 until it boots up, which the speed controller interprets as a problem, so it briefly cuts the power to the receiver, which then indicates a brown-out ...

Nothing's ever as simple as it should be is it? But the plane flies fine. It just means I'm flying with the AR500 brown-out warning LED blinking the whole time.
Old Jun 30, 2009, 05:20 AM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
OK, I see where you are concerned regarding the failsafe. I wasn't thinking about that..
..a
Old Jun 30, 2009, 11:11 AM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
23,451 Posts
Let's go back to the begining because I don't understand where you are having a problem.

What kind of glider?
What controls?
What mixes are you trying to use.

Instead of working blind, tell us what you are trying to do.

On a 5 channel receiver you will be somewhat limited as to what mixes you can use. If this is an electric glider, then why not put the throttle on the throttle channel and use the acro or airplane set-up?
aeajr is online now Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Jun 30, 2009, 12:08 PM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
United States, NY, Plainview
Joined Aug 2005
7,794 Posts
For all those not familiar with the 9303, the 9303 rearranged the order of the servos so that complementary servos (like left and right flap, or left and right aileron) would come back to back in the order of the servos. The purpose, as I understand it, was to reduce the synchronizing delay issues of complementary servos for more precise control.

this is only done in glider mode.

For the starter of the thread, Basically, if I recall correctly, the throttle is put as the last servo in glider mode but please verify it. Completely disregard the labels on the receiver and look at them as servo 1,2,3, etc. In the book, they define what the first servo is, second, etc.

Here is a link to the manual
section 1
http://www.jrradios.com/ProdInfo/Fil...ane_Manu_1.pdf

Section 2
http://www.jrradios.com/ProdInfo/Fil...ane_Manu_2.pdf

Section 2 pg S42 has the Rx servo order and how they should be plugged in for proper function with a 9303 in sailplane mode.

Pg S12, S29, talks about the motor

Also check out Sherman Knight's article. Scroll down to where they talk about servo assignments and they discuss motor operation there too,.

http://www.jrradios.com/Articles/Art...ArticleID=1459

copied here from article
Channel Assignments

Channel #
Receiver (Most JR)
6 Servo TD (Dual flap active)
4 Servo w/ Motor (Dual flap inhibited)
V-Tail

Thro
Left Aileron
Left Aileron

Aileron
Right Aileron
Right Aileron

Elevator
Elevator
Elevator
Right Ruddervator

Rudder
Rudder
Rudder
Left Ruddervator

Gear
Right Flap
Motor

Aux 1
Left Flap

Aux 2
Motor

JR claims this new channel assignment allows for better communication between the radio and the sailplane. What it really means is that a six-channel receiver will now work with a six-servo sailplane. All prior radios with JR setups would have required a seven-channel receiver.

The motor assignment for a four-servo setup defaults to channel #5. When dual flaps are activated, the motor assignment defaults to channel #7 (AUX2). However, these defaults are easily changed.

Also check out page 4 at the bottom (this is for 4 servo aircraft)
http://www.jrradios.com/Articles/Art...ID=1459&Page=4

Adding a Motor

Please read the section on adding a motor to a six servo sailplane. If you have a 7 channel receiver all the programming will work here also. If SPOI ST is selected in the DeviceSEL/MOTO menu, even the MOTO HOLD function is available. If you only have a six channel receiver, simply mix MOTO to any available channel (5 or 6).

The Right Side Slider is only available as a direct mix to channel 7 in the DeviceSEL menu under AUX2. If you want to put the motor on the Right Side Slider, you will have to mix AUX2 to Channel 5 (gear) or Channel 6 (AUX1).

For a 6 servo ship with motor see page 7
http://www.jrradios.com/Articles/Art...ID=1459&Page=7

hope this helps

Frank
Fly2High is offline Find More Posts by Fly2High
Old Jun 30, 2009, 12:11 PM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
United States, NY, Plainview
Joined Aug 2005
7,794 Posts
No Rx cares what the order is for operation. It just outputs the first value to the first servo, the second to the second plugged in servo, etc.

The ordering is solely done by the transmitter.

you will need to follow the ordering of the transmitter and not the order listed on the Rx for the plane to work as intended.

Check out Sherman's article I linked to. It should answer all your questions.

Frank

P.S. I have a JR X-347 that has a different ordering than my 9303 and whenever I want to use the 9303 on a plane programmed for the 347, I would have to reorder the servo wires on the Rx and retrim.
Fly2High is offline Find More Posts by Fly2High
Old Jun 30, 2009, 12:23 PM
Gary P
Joined Aug 2007
224 Posts
Thanks for the help. I solved this issue and issued a warning about it on this thread:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1072458

In short, the issue is that Spektrum receivers assume the throttle is on channel 1, and it is usually not in the case of the JR9303 and all high-end JR transmitters using their glider programming. This results in the left aileron being moved (instead of throttle cut) when Smartsafe activates. In some cases this could result in an unexpected roll on failsafe activation, as explained on the other thread. Not ideal but bearable if you're aware of the issue.

Thanks again and maybe we should continue any discussion on that thread.