SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 03, 2013, 11:37 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,084 Posts
looking great brad!

nice benz! cars are my 2nd obsession lol. i currently have a 95' cobra (4th mustang, 87 turbo 2.3L lx coupe that i built myself, 95GT, 2005 GT, and now the 95 cobra) ive also had a hot little 2.3L zx3 focus, and a 88 thunderbird turbo coupe with about 300hp, and then there was my first car, a 68 cougar with a little 302)

that pic with your son is great! i still have my JR642, that was my first computer radio, got it when i turned 12!
corsair nut is online now Find More Posts by corsair nut
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 03, 2013, 11:46 PM
115 inches of 'hog
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Aug 2004
2,700 Posts
inpieces- There is no fiberglass piece for the tail section. There is a piece for the hatch on the bottom of fuse behind the wing. There is also a piece to go on the bottom of the wing to contour the fuselage but I did not get that piece.

corsair nut- Car's are/were my other hobby. I've been through all phases now,old muscle cars, new muscle cars, 4x4's and now euro performance cars. I'm an MB tech, 11 years at it and 17 in the business, so I can fix anything on the E55.

A10pilot- I got your PM, thanks. I already have a bulkhead in front of the horizontal stab. for my dowels to slide into. I will check for flex after installation.

Mission accomplished for today!! I got one side of all the tail parts glassed. This was my first time glassing a plane. I read A LOT about different methods, and experimented on scrap pieces. I ended up with the Terry Holston method:

http://terry_holston.tripod.com/id4.html

During my tests it seemed to be the best finish and easiest to prep for paint, and only requires 1 coat of resin. The garage was cold so I had plenty of working time with the Zpoxy. I put a space heater in the garage afterwards so everything will cure properly. Tomorrow we shall see what lies underneath the polyester sheets
ScaleBrad is online now Find More Posts by ScaleBrad
Last edited by ScaleBrad; Feb 03, 2013 at 11:52 PM.
Old Feb 03, 2013, 11:52 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,084 Posts
i found while building my T-38 that it was hopelessly too huge for hand sanding, so i used a orbital sander for almost all of it...i work composites as a living, so im pretty good with a DA sander, and you have to be with the thin glass, man....i feel your pain right now lol. these huge models are soooo much work, but in the end, they are very rewarding.

thats cool, i didnt know you were a car guy.
corsair nut is online now Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old Feb 03, 2013, 11:57 PM
Dean
USA, CO, Littleton
Joined Apr 2005
3,877 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaleBrad View Post
inpieces- There is no fiberglass piece for the tail section.
There could be now....if you treat Brad nice!
A10FLYR is offline Find More Posts by A10FLYR
Old Feb 04, 2013, 06:26 AM
dare to be dull
Deland, FL
Joined Jun 2002
699 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by A10pilot View Post
The wing center section for my plane was designed around the original gear (which was in the plane and broke). This gear was badly broken in the landing and is not repairable as many of the pieces that broke are "one offs" so to fly the plane again I will need to get Robart to manufacture the gear they did for Dean's kits. The gear is out of production but Robart will make one for me. I just have to set money aside ($800+) for the gear.

Ed
Hey Ed. I'd be in the market for a set of gear too. Robart is running a winter gear sale right now, 20% off pneumatics. Maybe a couple orders at the slow time of year would be motivational for them. Let me know if & when you want to order those.
bigjohn is offline Find More Posts by bigjohn
Old Feb 04, 2013, 08:15 AM
United States, TX, Schertz
Joined Mar 2006
1,391 Posts
Robart Gear

John:

I can't do the gear this minute, just spent money on a (please forgive me ) turbine. I might be able to swing it after May.

Ed
A10pilot is offline Find More Posts by A10pilot
Old Feb 04, 2013, 08:46 AM
dare to be dull
Deland, FL
Joined Jun 2002
699 Posts
Ed:

I'm in no hurry either. Just thought there might be an opportunity with the sale going on.
bigjohn is offline Find More Posts by bigjohn
Old Feb 04, 2013, 09:34 PM
115 inches of 'hog
Joined Aug 2004
2,700 Posts
John, Tomas from vqwarbirds.com was able to get me a discount on the Robart gear, might want to contact him.

The glassing went well, I didn't use enough resin the first round on some parts and had a few dry areas, tonight I did the other half and knew what to look for, the peel ply needs to be wet,not puddled... any silver spots are too dry. I took some time off to fly today, then went to Grave's RC for some supplies. Got some fiberglass control horns, looks like I should have the tail section finished by next weekend, progress will be slow this week since I have some sanding to do and it's usually dark when I get home. Boring pictures, lot of work going on just not much to see.
Old Feb 04, 2013, 09:50 PM
United States, OR
Joined Jan 2007
168 Posts
Looking good for your first run at glassing a plane Brad!
inpieces is offline Find More Posts by inpieces
Old Feb 04, 2013, 10:12 PM
Dean
USA, CO, Littleton
Joined Apr 2005
3,877 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by A10pilot View Post
John:

I can't do the gear this minute, just spent money on a (please forgive me ) turbine. I might be able to swing it after May.

Ed
For $1500 I would have sold you a NIB TJT Eagle 30# class, electric start turbine, the Robart retracts and the Glennis wheels and brakes out of my A-10.
Old Feb 09, 2013, 11:37 AM
115 inches of 'hog
Joined Aug 2004
2,700 Posts
After several days of sanding, priming, filling, I started to glue the tail section together. Took a while to figure out how to glue it square, with all the curves and angles on the vertical stabs. I made perfect use of the snack bar counter while the family was away, which is a perfectly flat surface and usually just collects mail and clutter anyways. I made a template out of 1/4" balsa to square the centerline of the curved vertical stab, and used the edges of the table to keep everything in check. I used 15 minute epoxy (had to work fast) because I didn't want it running all to one side. I put the bottles in the fridge for 20 minutes to give me some extra working time and to thicken it. Once this side cures I'll rotate the assembly to the other side of the counter and set up the other stab.

Everything looks on schedule to have the tail section primed, servos installed and all surfaces functional by tomorrow night.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 08:20 PM
Got H2? Fuel Cell R/C Car
United States, TX, Del Rio
Joined Mar 2004
2,479 Posts
Thanks for starting this up again! Progress looks great and I can't wait to see the finished project!!

I'm a huge fan of the A-10, but I went a slightly different direction
Keith43221 is online now Find More Posts by Keith43221
Old Feb 11, 2013, 08:56 PM
Dean
USA, CO, Littleton
Joined Apr 2005
3,877 Posts
Good job!!
Old Feb 11, 2013, 10:38 PM
United States, OR
Joined Jan 2007
168 Posts
That is one heck of a "video game", no insult intended. Nice!
inpieces is offline Find More Posts by inpieces
Old Feb 12, 2013, 11:11 PM
115 inches of 'hog
Joined Aug 2004
2,700 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith43221 View Post
Thanks for starting this up again! Progress looks great and I can't wait to see the finished project!!

I'm a huge fan of the A-10, but I went a slightly different direction
Now that is really cool, never seen something quite like it!!

This is where I'm at with the tail, as usual nothing in this build is quite as simple as it seems. Been working the last few nights getting the linkages set up, made a couple trips to the LHS for hardware only to find it won't work like I had planned. The elevator setup is good now, just need some titanium 4-40 links,working on the rudder and trying to keep the linkage small enough to fit underneath the scale fairing that Dean included in my kit.