HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 23, 2005, 08:37 AM
GERARDO
ATLANTA, GA
Joined Feb 2005
16 Posts
Add 5th Channel To A Futaba 4yf

I OPEN THE CASE OF MY FUTABA 4YF THE OTHER DAY, AND I FIND OUT THAT IT HAVE AND EXTRA CHANNEL IN THE PC BOARD .
DOES ANYBODY KNOWS IF IT IS ENABLE . IT WILL BE NICE TO HAVE AN EXTRA CHANNEL FOR FLAPS OR RETRACTS
gerardo is offline Find More Posts by gerardo
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 23, 2005, 08:12 PM
Auckland, New Zealand
Joined Apr 2002
816 Posts
Shouting?
SlopeKing is offline Find More Posts by SlopeKing
Old Aug 24, 2005, 11:29 AM
GERARDO
ATLANTA, GA
Joined Feb 2005
16 Posts
Well, After Connect All The Wires I Find Out That The Channel Do Not Work Properly , I Will Have To Do Some More Research So Find Out The Best Way To Make It Work.
Old Aug 26, 2005, 06:23 AM
We want... Information!
Hastings, New Zealand
Joined Jan 2001
5,182 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerardo
The Channel Do Not Work Properly
What does it do?

BTW you don't need to capitalize every word in a sentence, usually just the first word (but do capitalize names, titles, and 'I').

Dictionary.com: What are the rules for capitalization?
Bruce Abbott is offline Find More Posts by Bruce Abbott
Old Aug 26, 2005, 01:30 PM
GERARDO
ATLANTA, GA
Joined Feb 2005
16 Posts
The potentiometer that I connect will do nothing, but if you connect two of the cables together it will make the servo to move in a erratic way.

I didn't capitalize all the words, I'm very lazy for that, it may be either may computer, or I was writing all the time with the caps on, I dont know.
Old Sep 22, 2005, 06:17 AM
Cape Town, South Africa
Joined Sep 2005
29 Posts
You may have up to three (3) additional channels depending on the chip. I know how to do the mod. Planning to do my own TX soon.

DJ
DJ Pauw is offline Find More Posts by DJ Pauw
Old Sep 22, 2005, 05:23 PM
St. Louis - MO
Joined Jan 2005
45 Posts
Gerardo,

Yes, it is possible and works, the only thing that you have to do is to put a resistor of 1Kohms in the center position of the potenciometer.

Regards
Ronaldo
Ronaldo is offline Find More Posts by Ronaldo
Old Oct 07, 2012, 01:48 PM
Joined Oct 2012
67 Posts
Hello

I know this is a little necroposting (to say the least), but it does have to do with my query. In this thread, DJ Pauw mentioned that you could add up to 3 channels on the T4YF. Now, I have one with a broken transmition module (35mhz), and I was thinking about putting a hack module in to turn it to 2.4 (as the trainer port does still work fine). I was wondering if there was any info on how to add those 3 channels onto the transmitter, as I have only added 1 myself, and was interested in trying out the other 2.

Also, the 35mhz version uses 9.6V (8 cells), and the 2.4ghz version only uses 4.8V (4 cells). As I understand it, the extra power is for the transmition module in FM, but seeing as that doesn't work anymore and I will be adding a 2.4ghz module that can run off 4.8V, can I change the whole transmitter to this voltage to not have 4 batteries literally "wasted" in it?

Thank you very much, and as LMFAO say: SORRY FOR NECROPOSTING!!
Epitaph is offline Find More Posts by Epitaph
Old Oct 07, 2012, 03:08 PM
"Unnecessary Necessity"
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Sep 2006
5,759 Posts
necroposting indeed

The encoder on older Futaba Tx do needs 9.6V to work as well as the AM or FM RFsection. Most DIY 2.4 RF modules work on lower voltage and do have a voltage regulator. Many older transmitters were using the NE5044 chip for the encoder and it can be enabled for up to 7 channels easily. The pin for the last channel enabled is connected to ground and all it take is to open that link and connect the wiper of your pot to each channel you want to add and connect the next pin to ground(the outside pins on each pot connect to V+ and ground like the first 4 channels.
http://www.datasheetcatalog.org/data...ips/NE5044.pdf
To connect your DIY module you can use the back side of the trainer socket for V+,Ground and ppm and just remove the crystal from the RF board to disable it. The is quite a few threads on the subject in this forum, one of them:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ghlight=ne5044
The nice thing about the NE5044 chip is that you can easily add dual rate and several mixes easily, a Google search foe "NE5044 encoders" will provide many schematics abut the matter.
coriolan is offline Find More Posts by coriolan
Last edited by coriolan; Oct 07, 2012 at 03:15 PM. Reason: add link
Old Oct 07, 2012, 03:40 PM
Joined Oct 2012
67 Posts
well... thanks for that. I'm sure if you'ld have told that who actually understand what you just said, then they would have gotten very far. But me, well, I know how to solder something somewhere, but don't ask me why I'm soldering something somewhere

It was just a little thing I had in mind of doing with this dead 4YF to try and give it a little bit more life, I mean I know how to fit the module, no problem... but I'm totally lost on channels 6 and 7. I think with that I'm just a little too over my head, as I thought it might just be soldering a conection here and a switch there, but I see I need to know quite a lot just to decifer that datasheet you found, and one thing I could decifer is that I have no chip in this transmitter with that number on it anyhow (unless this BU4051 is an equivelent). If it is just putting a switch between a certain pin and gnd, then no problem, but if I have to start thinking about reprogramming or anything, then definately this girl is out of her league!!

The idea was, it works on simulators, it works as a buddy box, but no one can figure out why it won't transmit on 35mhz. So I was thinking of taking all the insides out (the case is a little grubby), making a new personalised wooden case in european style, and then putting the insides in the new case with an FrSky module in it, but as I was making it european style, they usually have an angled panel for switches... and it would have been nice to add some switches there for channels 6 and 7 (putting a slider in between the sticks for channel 5 which i already have sussed out), maybe adding a couple for dual rate or whatever... you know, make a nice looking transmitter (I think a purple grain woodstain would have looked quite good ^.^)
Old Oct 07, 2012, 03:50 PM
Joined Oct 2012
67 Posts
I've just opened up this transmitter, and from what I can see, channel 1 is going to pin 4, channel 2 to pin 7, channels 3 and 4 I can't see where they are going (connected under the chip, and I haven't got a polymeter here with me), and channel 5 is connected to pins 9, 10, 12 and 13...
Old Oct 07, 2012, 04:14 PM
Joined Oct 2012
67 Posts
ok... one sec... maybe I'm going crazy with this, but from what I can see from looking up the chip number (apart from the fact I've held the chip upside down so the pin numbers are incorrect... my bad heheheh) is that this is an 8 channel system, not a 7 channel one.

I found this http://pdf1.alldatasheet.com/datashe...BU4051BCF.html that says that pins 15, 14, 13 and 12 on one side are a channel each, which corresponds to the 4 channels from the sticks. And on the other side, pins 1, 2, 4 and 5 are also a channel each, and it turns out that the 5th channel pad that comes ready on the 4YF is connected to all 4 of these, and from what I can see, only these 4.

Does this mean it's as simple as seperating pins 1, 2, 4 and 5 and putting them as independant each one to a switch? or is it more complex than that?
Old Oct 07, 2012, 05:00 PM
"Unnecessary Necessity"
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Sep 2006
5,759 Posts
If you're making a new case for the Tx you can use the PC board from that T4YF, its a 7 channels encoder which has pins 5,6,7 grounded to disable theses channels. Read carefully the date sheet for that chip:
http://www.datasheetcatalog.org/data...ips/NE5044.pdf
Its not a big job if you're familiar with electronic work but it might be harder if you're not comfortable with delicate soldering! Pins 1,2,3,4,5,6 and 7 (as seen from top of the chip,left of dot)are the inputs pins.
coriolan is offline Find More Posts by coriolan
Last edited by coriolan; Oct 07, 2012 at 05:06 PM.
Old Oct 07, 2012, 05:51 PM
Joined Oct 2012
67 Posts
Thing is, you're reading into the 5044 (7 channel) chip, which is one I do not have on this T4YF, as it has a BU4051BCF (8 channel) chip instead, the same as used in the T4EX and the T6EX. In the T4/6EX the channels for the sticks come from the same circuit (pins 12, 13, 14 and 15), although the fifth channel is activated via the intergrated circuit that controls the screen, and the 6th channel in the case of the T6EX is controlled via pins 1 and 2 at the same time on the 4051.

It's hard to solder and desolder pins on a 5044 when there is no 5044 to modify on the board.
Old Oct 08, 2012, 04:54 AM
We want... Information!
Hastings, New Zealand
Joined Jan 2001
5,182 Posts
Maybe this will help,

Converting a Futaba Skysport 6 to 7 channel proportional control

And this,
Bruce Abbott is offline Find More Posts by Bruce Abbott