SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Today, 02:48 AM
Joined Jul 2013
542 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Tom View Post
it works ok, don't have any other gopro accessory to compare connector with.
but will make a video today with plugging gopro in + charge + av out.

but please, DO NOT BUY IT. ok?
I do not want to be held responsible for anyone's fail.
especially because I don't 'work' for any of those stores, (not even anything related with RC trading, like many youtube tutorial/review posters.... I'm a surgeon + RC hobbyst, ).
end-user of this tech like many of you here.
just shared my experience,
didn't see anyone did it before with that new item that showed up in store,

if I had seen it doesn't fit to somebody else, I would still buy it and try it out.
now I have really robust gimbal that can't damage side USB connector in transport, is in balance, and SD swapping is easy. no wearing out anything(cable,connector...)

Looking forward to hear how you installed it and seeing some videos of it in action

Thanks for the feedback
ariZedA is offline Find More Posts by ariZedA
to remove ads between posts
Old Today, 03:20 AM
Joined May 2014
46 Posts
Quote:

especially because I don't 'work' for any of those stores, (not even anything related with RC trading, like many youtube tutorial/review posters.... I'm a surgeon + RC hobbyst, ).

if I had seen it doesn't fit to somebody else, I would still buy it and try it out.
now I have really robust gimbal that can't damage side USB connector in transport, is in balance, and SD swapping is easy. no wearing out anything(cable,connector...)
Thanks for clarifying that. Mines on the slow boat so it will be a while. Thank you for reporting back. No one is going to hold you responsible or sue you! This hobby is all about experiment and its always good to here of experences. Its not the first time either that reports are mixed. It might be worth for others sakes that you copy your post plus adendums to the H3-3D thread...
Irishsights is online now Find More Posts by Irishsights
Old Today, 06:57 AM
Photojournalist, Madison, Wisc
Joined Aug 2013
278 Posts
RE: How well does H3-3D 3rd party connector Fit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishsights View Post
Dr Tom: Whats your experience of actually fitting the GoPro to the new connector? Others are saying it doesn't fit.
Sliding on the part to the camera was extremely tight, I tried it with an old camera in case I might damage the camera it was so tight (before I even tried instal)...it was not aligned properly...once it was installed and not working properly upon removing... it was so tight on the camera that is when the shielding came off which I posted a picture of a few post up from this.

I purchased it when it was $15, soon afterwards I noticed they had changed the price to $23 perhaps Dr. Tom got the $23 , I hope someone else has success and posts where they got it and for how much. PS: I take apart GoPro's and repair computers myself so I do have some experience this connector the one I received is not a well made solution.
Mickeyboo is online now Find More Posts by Mickeyboo
Last edited by Mickeyboo; Today at 08:57 AM.
Old Today, 08:11 AM
Joined Aug 2013
278 Posts
+1 I appreciate Dr. Tom's Posts Thanks

Quote:
Thanks for clarifying that. Mines on the slow boat so it will be a while. Thank you for reporting back. No one is going to hold you responsible or sue you! This hobby is all about experiment and its always good to here of experences. Its not the first time either that reports are mixed. It might be worth for others sakes that you copy your post plus adendums to the H3-3D thread...
You have done us all a service and I greatly appreciate the fact that you can report a successful instal. Please do not feel responsible in any way for someone else's decision to buy this product.
Old Today, 09:54 AM
United States, MI, Georgetown Charter Township
Joined Apr 2013
298 Posts
Quote:

Well i order one from ebay and should be here sometime in a week or so im hoping to have better luck with mine and will let every one no how well it works or not Tom
[u
Tom4545 is online now Find More Posts by Tom4545
Last edited by Tom4545; Today at 10:10 AM.
Old Today, 10:07 AM
Portugal
Joined Feb 2012
3,390 Posts
Quote:
yes, it charges and picture is good, same as stock with USB.

however, previously I did the 'scotch tape' mod, to that side connector.
where you cover all but 2 pins(with thin tape) on flat ribbon cable and then plug it into usb board,
so GoPro does NOT charge in air, and there were no lines in FPV, caused by RF noise.
flight time could also increase a bit, didn't measure it though. as I fly till 30%, not till the very end...
(gimbal has more stable power since amp draw is a lot smaller through all those thin ribbon cables coming from P2 to ZEN motherboard)

and gopro battery lasted for over 5 flights in a row. (it is supposed to last for 90 mins)
so it is not a problem to recharge gopro battery in between if needed.(i have only 3 batteryes for P2, and 2 chargers, not 5/5, so there is plenty of time for it to recharge if needed)

now I didn't want to experiment before trying this connector 'as is'.
maybe later I will try to disable 5V line too...

2 mickeyboo: no mods are necessary,
you just need the connector with flat cable and it fits in OK,
the additional back plate I linekd can be bought or not,
if you dont, you use the one you pull out from your zen. and put it from the outside on the back, like I did.
Hi, can you point me to that "'scotch tape' mod" please?

Thanks.
GhostMaster is online now Find More Posts by GhostMaster
Old Today, 10:10 AM
Super Dupa Fly
Joined Dec 2013
245 Posts
Naza v2

Hi guys,

So I'm looking into the ezuhf route and research suggests the phantom naza is no good for this and needs replacing with a proper naza v2....my understanding is by doing this I will lose the led lights so I'm wondering how I will know what mode I'm flying in and more importantly how would I be able to do the compass dance with no lights to guide me???

Has anybody successfully achieved this mod as yet or in the name of research am I the lab rat? 😛
Youngmoriarty is offline Find More Posts by Youngmoriarty
Old Today, 10:51 AM
Joined Aug 2013
278 Posts
Perhaps My Problem Was I used an Older Gimbal

I would be willing to bet that Dr. Tom was using a Phantom which came with the USB cable, I was trying to install this on a gimbal which came with the original part not the new USB cable model. Thus the fit problems.

Here is a link with pictures of instal procedure using the gimbal which comes with USB cable:

http://bbs.5imx.com/bbs/forum.php?mo...extra=page%3D1
Old Today, 12:15 PM
Youtube: TomRi25
Croatia, City of Zagreb, Zagreb
Joined Aug 2010
711 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ariZedA View Post
Looking forward to hear how you installed it and seeing some videos of it in action

Thanks for the feedback
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickeyboo View Post
You have done us all a service and I greatly appreciate the fact that you can report a successful instal. Please do not feel responsible in any way for someone else's decision to buy this product.

thnx,
will post to zen specific topic also ( when I compile shorter movie and add some pics)
video is here, unedited, long version for now,

DJI Zen H3-3D backplate connector mod (7 min 9 sec)

0:10 powerup, charging gopro....
0:20 power on the GoPro, video out and still charging
2:50 GoPro out of the ZEN, inspecting the connector
4:40 putting it back in, gimbal in balance without additional weights
6:32 power on P2, charging the GoPro
6:50 power on the GoPro, video out and still charging,

to prove all is working ok for those that claimed mine was the 'only one on the Planet'....
I bet there are more like me, because I didn't do anything special, really.
(price was 14-15$ mickeyboo, not 23)

later I will also make an shorter with only initial powerup, taking gopro out, look at connector and full res pics from other camera, and putting gopro back in, and powerup...

hope it helps to someone,
and for scotch tape, will take pics of it too, and put here later this evening. easy thing to doo but helps ZEN have more stable power for its main purpose, stabilisation, while keeping Hero a lot cooler.
Dr.Tom is online now Find More Posts by Dr.Tom
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Dr.Tom; Today at 12:57 PM.
Old Today, 12:31 PM
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Jul 2014
75 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickeyboo View Post
I would be willing to bet that Dr. Tom was using a Phantom which came with the USB cable, I was trying to install this on a gimbal which came with the original part not the new USB cable model. Thus the fit problems.

Here is a link with pictures of instal procedure using the gimbal which comes with USB cable:

http://bbs.5imx.com/bbs/forum.php?mo...extra=page%3D1
I'm baffled here... Why were you installing this GoPro bus connector mod on a 1st gen H3-3D gimbal that came with the bus connector (not the USB version) in the first place???
Ranrotary is offline Find More Posts by Ranrotary
Old Today, 12:44 PM
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Jul 2014
75 Posts
Quote:
thnx,
will post to zen specific theme also ( when I compile shorter movie and add some pics)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rrdWl-EyjE

to prove all is working ok for those that claimed mine was the 'only one on the Planet'....

later I will also make an shorter with only initial powerup, taking gopro out, look at connector and full res pics from other camera, and putting gopro back in, and powerup...

and for scotch tape, will take pics of it too, and put here later this evening. easy thing to doo but helps ZEN have more stable power for its main purpose, stabilisation, while keeping Hero a lot cooler.
After watching Dr Tom's video, it looks just like when I used to use my H3-2D. Install of the GoPro on the gimbal and removal looks just like the bus connector equipped Zenmuse 2D & 3D versions. For whatever reason, his unit looks spot on!

Dr. Tom, can you link exactly where or who you purchased your backplate connector from (if it's eBay, the actual seller)? Maybe there's a chance that several people are manufacturing these and only some are legitimate.

Thanks for taking the time to post that video. It's encouraging to see your success with the part you installed.
Ranrotary is offline Find More Posts by Ranrotary
Old Today, 01:56 PM
Joined Aug 2013
278 Posts
There was A Reason forTrying This

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranrotary View Post
I'm baffled here... Why were you installing this GoPro bus connector mod on a 1st gen H3-3D gimbal that came with the bus connector (not the USB version) in the first place???
I've got both 2 axis and 3 axis I use 2 axis for stills and three axis for video...I wanted to swap out my 2 Axis original part for the 3rd party version and use the better orginal DJI part in all my new 3 axis Phantoms...does that make sense to you?

Once installed it still doesn't explain why it didn't charge, didn't show up on my RX or explain how the shielding fell off....it does explain my need for retrofitting
Old Today, 02:12 PM
United States, MI, Georgetown Charter Township
Joined Apr 2013
298 Posts
Quote:
thnx,
will post to zen specific topic also ( when I compile shorter movie and add some pics)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rrdWl-EyjE

Well when I get mine in a week or so I hope it goes together as well as yours did I will let every one no for sure how well it goes Tom

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251630827166...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Tom4545 is online now Find More Posts by Tom4545
Last edited by Tom4545; Today at 02:18 PM.
Old Today, 04:06 PM
Aerospace Design Engineer
United States, SC, Charleston
Joined May 2014
137 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Youngmoriarty View Post
Hi guys,

So I'm looking into the ezuhf route and research suggests the phantom naza is no good for this and needs replacing with a proper naza v2....my understanding is by doing this I will lose the led lights so I'm wondering how I will know what mode I'm flying in and more importantly how would I be able to do the compass dance with no lights to guide me???

Has anybody successfully achieved this mod as yet or in the name of research am I the lab rat? 😛
At that point why not just make a whole new quad? Recently setup a whole new EzUHF setup for a client. My logic is that if you are changing out the whole FC for what maybe $300 then getting a new radio, or the expensive way to do EzUHF seems like allot of work just to still only have one quad.

If you want lights and other features there are allot of products that can do that and even get better flight time and many more features that the a phantom once it starts to be explored.
tearig is online now Find More Posts by tearig