HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 04, 2013, 12:58 PM
United States, MI, Goodrich
Joined Mar 2004
3,846 Posts
30 C or higher. These Multis don't pull huge amps like Helis do. The big heavy lifters can. The Higher C the more efficient and thus a little bit more flight time I guess.

Power to weight ratio will always win thou.
UAVProducts is offline Find More Posts by UAVProducts
Site Sponsor
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 04, 2013, 02:36 PM
Chalfont St Giles, Bucks, UK
Joined Jan 2007
3,198 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellsiege View Post
Hoping to fly mine today, got the camera mount rails done last night (didn't have camera), will put landing gear on today and program the FC I have a video project starting Monday on the bypass bridge at hover damn. The job is cleared through Homeland, NDOT, and BLM for the big copterworks rig (AF25b), but wanted this along as a backup. Course I don't plan on lifting the scarlet with this multi just yet and will only be sending the nex5 up...lol

-Steve
Hi Steve.
Good luck with the project mate. It sounds very interesting.
Do you think you will be able to get some BTS footage. ?
Paul@SCC is offline Find More Posts by Paul@SCC
Old Jan 04, 2013, 04:59 PM
Staying Frosty
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Feb 2008
2,961 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UAVProducts View Post
Nex5 on the AF25?
No, that has a Scarlet on it. Think it's a Scarlet, says RED on side, it's Chris's

BTS footage? sorry, not sure what that means I just fly the helicopter. Once we're back though I'll see what I can get, usually not much but I'll ask anyway. I know we cannot have any footage of the damn itself, it's got some copyright on it and someone owns the film rights etc...

I'm having an issue though with programing and could use some help. Everything worked fine before I mounted everything, but now I get the light sequence on startup and then the LED goes off. On the MC the light is Blue and even green if connected to PC, but it never establishes the connection to MC.

When I first got this WKM I hooked it all up and updated the firmware and made sure it was talking to PC. This is first time I've hooked it up to receiver so thinking I have something simple wrong, but can't seem to find it. Swapped out receivers and same deal, rebound etc... Weird how the LED flashes some blue/green even a red then just goes out... ideas?
Hellsiege is offline Find More Posts by Hellsiege
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Construction Projects - Updated
Old Jan 04, 2013, 05:42 PM
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Sep 2012
132 Posts
Quote:
No, that has a Scarlet on it. Think it's a Scarlet, says RED on side, it's Chris's

BTS footage? sorry, not sure what that means I just fly the helicopter. Once we're back though I'll see what I can get, usually not much but I'll ask anyway. I know we cannot have any footage of the damn itself, it's got some copyright on it and someone owns the film rights etc...

I'm having an issue though with programing and could use some help. Everything worked fine before I mounted everything, but now I get the light sequence on startup and then the LED goes off. On the MC the light is Blue and even green if connected to PC, but it never establishes the connection to MC.

When I first got this WKM I hooked it all up and updated the firmware and made sure it was talking to PC. This is first time I've hooked it up to receiver so thinking I have something simple wrong, but can't seem to find it. Swapped out receivers and same deal, rebound etc... Weird how the LED flashes some blue/green even a red then just goes out... ideas?
Had similar issue on a Naza unit - I restored settings on Naza and re-calibrated through PC and it worked... It may have to do with placement of WKM components and receiver... They should all be as far away as possible from each other.
flyacg is offline Find More Posts by flyacg
Old Jan 04, 2013, 10:53 PM
Staying Frosty
Joined Feb 2008
2,961 Posts
I'm stumped... video here if it helps:
DJI WKM Error (0 min 59 sec)

Thanks!!

Steve
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 05, 2013, 02:25 AM
Australia, WA
Joined Jun 2012
180 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndOfDays View Post
@Paul

good decision.

I do my power-distribution quite similar, but my suggestion would be to add a second line where you can pug in a second battery (with your favorite connector), you can then connect two batteries, which gives you some sort of redundancy if one connector/battery fails, and you are able to fly with smaller packs which are typically easier to get, but I am sure you can also fly with two big packs on that machine.

best regards

Ferdinand
Hi Ferdinand, just so I understand - instead of having one feed to the power distribution board - you have 2 - one for each battery? This would be the same as running them in parallel but with added redundancy?

Does anyone have any pictures of it like this?
boranup is offline Find More Posts by boranup
Old Jan 05, 2013, 02:32 AM
Joined Jan 2007
3,198 Posts
Quote:
I'm stumped... video here if it helps: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMu5o...ature=youtu.be

Thanks!!

Steve
Steve.
The blue flashing on the mc after upgrade means it is waiting for you to re-boot. After 5 seconds unplug your lipo and plug back up. Have you tried that. ?
Old Jan 05, 2013, 07:12 AM
Staying Frosty
Joined Feb 2008
2,961 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul@SCC View Post
Steve.
The blue flashing on the mc after upgrade means it is waiting for you to re-boot. After 5 seconds unplug your lipo and plug back up. Have you tried that. ?
Yeah, I have. I think it's in some sort of upgrade loop I can't seem to get it out of. I know Naza's can be reset, hoping WKM's can too... The only thing I can replicate is if I power it up, connect it to PC, the "upgrade firmware" option is avail. You can click it, blue light goes solid on MC box, then says "Please power cycle", you do that and as soon as it's plugged back in, the message says "Please power cycle". You have to close out the assistant to get it out of this power cycle loop. I just don't know what I did to get it in this loop. Really hoping there is a reset as it shouldn't go from working to not working like this w/out flying it. Has to be a bonehead move on my part somewhere along the lines
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 05, 2013, 07:25 AM
Joined Jan 2007
3,198 Posts
Power the mc and then plug up the USB to computer before opening the assistant software.
Old Jan 05, 2013, 07:28 AM
Staying Frosty
Joined Feb 2008
2,961 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul@SCC View Post
Power the mc and then plug up the USB to computer before opening the assistant software.
On the list to try today, and first - Thank You sir!!!

*edit*
That did it!! You rock my friend. I did have to upgrade the firmware again, but this time I reset it and connected to PC before assistant and it got out of this bloody loop! Thanks again!!
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Hellsiege; Jan 05, 2013 at 12:48 PM.
Old Jan 05, 2013, 06:30 PM
Staying Frosty
Joined Feb 2008
2,961 Posts
Thanks again Paul, your advice did it! I figured I better film the maiden for the insurance company incase it flys away. so here's the maiden

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=Mlmy3FciHMw

I did get the camera, downlink, etc... on but was really disappointed with the flight time. After about 3 min it was blinking red and reducing power to force a landing. I'm going to order a new set of packs, these have a few cycles on them and are a year or so old. So hoping that's the problem, but it is Colorado and sitting on the ground it's at 6500+ ft Needless to say with the short flight time on the vid test I won't be taking it with me when we leave tomorrow, but when we get back I'm hoping to do more jobs with this rig. I'll post the onboard video once I get it off cam and uploaded.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 05, 2013, 06:39 PM
United States, MI, Goodrich
Joined Mar 2004
3,846 Posts
Check how much packs took back.
I personally don't use the Low Voltage or trust the accuracy.
UAVProducts is offline Find More Posts by UAVProducts
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 05, 2013, 06:43 PM
Staying Frosty
Joined Feb 2008
2,961 Posts
Well that's the funny part, packs were at 3.93v +/- .03v - so I was assuming they might be old and are just not holding up under load. I was thinking about turning off the protection as the packs themselves we're not even warm. So you don't use the V protection on regular basis? Interesting - appreciate the feedback!

*edit*
I'm home with family, wanted to spend some time with them before leaving. Will check what they take back once I recharge.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 06, 2013, 03:58 AM
Joined Jan 2007
3,198 Posts
Hi Steve.
Good to hear you sorted the problem. The instruction manual does a good job.

I saw that wobble you mentioned on the rear arm. I had a similar problem. I checked the fittings and all was tight so we then started to change the gains and that helped.
Just in case you didnt see it. Here is a vid when my octo was a quad. I'm not saying this is the problem with your machine, but it might help.
First Test With The Vulcan Frame (5 min 15 sec)

I'm now in octo mode and have installed 5.16 and all gains are at default settings.

I'm another user that does not use the voltage monitor. I use a timer on the Tx or phone. I am also going to use one of these to have a visual on my mah and volts.
Old Jan 08, 2013, 03:01 PM
Joined Jan 2007
3,198 Posts
We got some work done on the gimbal today. Finished some parts to get the roll and tilt coupled together. Next we will get the pan set up.
Hopefully tomorrow we will get the boards installed for tilt and roll.

Here is a short video from today.
My Project 11 (1 min 56 sec)

Here is a Vimeo channel I have started showing only the videos of the gimbal project.
https://vimeo.com/channels/451373

Few pics of the workshop rig. Materials and design may change.

Last edited by Paul@SCC; Jan 09, 2013 at 01:52 AM.