Old Sep 27, 2012, 04:43 PM
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2006
1,280 Posts
Discussion
Ordering a Super Sky Surfer from Banana Hobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
Fair warning. That sort of thing has apparently going on with BH for many years, according to several people who warned me.

I will report in detail my next transaction with them, good or bad.
I just called the Customer Service number for Banana Hobby, 626-373-2288. Their website says their phone hours start at 9:00 AM Monday thru Friday. I called at 9:05 AM, got a recording saying they were closed and that their business hours are 9 to 6, and I should call back during those hours or fill out the form on their Customer Service website.

Filled out the contact form in the Customer Service part of their website and sent it in, then called again at 9:10AM. Same result.

Here we go again.

-----------------------------------------------

ON EDIT:

Called them again at 9:15AM, this time got thru, talked to Larry. Set up the order, he said they would call after it was set up and make final arrangements. So far so good. I hope to go there tomorrow (Friday) and pick the plane up (ARF Super Sky Surfer), we'll see what "appointment" we can arrange.

Anybody have anything they'd like to have checked out when I'm there? Inquiring about an order, or missing parts, etc.? Hopefully it will be tomorrow, depends on what happens if/when they call back "shortly".

So far things have been pretty smooth, no real problems.
Little-Acorn is offline Find More Posts by Little-Acorn
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 27, 2012, 04:44 PM
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2006
1,280 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
I just called the Customer Service number for Banana Hobby, 626-373-2288. Their website says their phone hours start at 9:00 AM Monday thru Friday. I called at 9:05 AM, got a recording saying they were closed and that their business hours are 9 to 6, and I should call back during those hours or fill out the form on their Customer Service website.

Filled out the contact form in the Customer Service part of their website and sent it in, then called again at 9:10AM. Same result.

Here we go again.

-----------------------------------------------

ON EDIT:

Called them again at 9:15AM, this time got thru, talked to Larry. Set up the order, he said they would call after it was set up and make final arrangements. So far so good. I hope to go there tomorrow (Friday) and pick the plane up (ARF Super Sky Surfer), we'll see what "appointment" we can arrange.

Anybody have anything they'd like to have checked out when I'm there? Inquiring about an order, or missing parts, etc.? Hopefully it will be tomorrow, depends on what happens if/when they call back "shortly".

So far things have been pretty smooth, no real problems.
Just got an email from Banana Hobby. It was a response to the Customer Service form I filled out. It said Yes, they have stock in both the ARF and RTF versions of the SSS, and that all orders must be placed on line (including mine, to go there and pay cash). And it said that for local pickups they need 2 business days to process and order before setting up an "appointment" date and time.

So I guess that blows my hope of doing this tomorrow. Oh well. I have no real problem with this, as long as the store lays out somewhat reasonable terms (which this is) and then keeps their promises. Though of course I want the plane oh-my-gawd-right-this-instant-if-not-sooner. Guess it means that I have to wait until at least Monday (or Tuesday) to even make an appointment to come by at a later date.

Well, so far so good. If they make promises and keep them, I ask no more from a store.

Though of course if another store had the same plane for nearly the same price and said I could come there any time without and appointment and buy the plane right now, then I would give my business to that store instead of BH. That is competition, the other is keeping promises.

But BH is the only place that has this plane... which means BH is out-competing the competition, at least for now. I have sent them my order, and will of course keep MY promises.

More to come!
Old Sep 27, 2012, 05:29 PM
Va.Beach VA.
Joined Aug 2007
2,128 Posts
Hope you get it, man. While you at it, you might as well get two....
G-LO is online now Find More Posts by G-LO
Old Sep 27, 2012, 05:38 PM
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2006
1,280 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-LO View Post
Hope you get it, man. While you at it, you might as well get two....
If the wallet was sufficiently inflated, I would!

BTW, Nancy from Banana Hobby just called and set my appointment for TOMORROW, Fri. Sept. 28!

VERY cool. Things are going very well so far with Banana Hobby!
Old Sep 28, 2012, 05:18 PM
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2006
1,280 Posts
Got it! I went there today, and met John, who was very polite and personable. I examined the plane with his courteous and helpful assistance, and all looked well.

Banana Hobby is located in a new-looking office/warehouse complex, in very good condition. In fact, the buildings look new, and are very nice for such a place. Each building is very big, and houses several business in each building, I would guess. I came down Irwindale from the 210 freeway, turned right (west) on Tapia St, and turned right into the third driveway on the right. As you turn into the driveway, the building on your right is the one, right where the driveway hits Tapia St. The address number 15751 is somewhat hidden by a tree, but it's there above the door.

The door was locked. There is an intercom next to it, with a sign saying to press the button and talk. Good luck finding the button, the face of the intercom had a 5x4 block of plastic squares that ALL look like buttons (it's on the lower right). I pressed and talked, they asked for my appointment number, I gave it, they buzzed me in. Waited in an empty waiting room (lots of space, two chairs, one table with magazines labelled Banana Hobby, none were model magazines(?)). Two doors led into the rest of the place, those were locked too, though one was blocked slightly ajar with a white door wedge.

After about five minutes, a fellow came out pulling a big, long box. John was polite and personable, mentioned he had flown a regular Sky Surfer but not a SSS. We got along great, looked over the plane (damn, it's big), shot the bull for a few minutes. I asked if I could see the rest of the place, John politely said no, due to insurance regulations. He helped me put the box (damn, it's big) into my minivan, shook hands, and parted.

This transaction with Banana Hobby is now complete, and went very smoothly. No major problems anywhere, and BH was very accommodating when I asked to pick up the plane earlier that they had indicated was possible, they let me do it today instead of Tuesday anyway.

I dealt exclusively with the sales folks (Larry, Jose, Nancy, and I took delivery from John). I had no dealings with the parts or warranty people.

This transaction was very satisfactory overall. Kudoes to Banana Hobby!
Old Sep 28, 2012, 05:57 PM
Joined Jun 2012
191 Posts
Hi Little-Acorn! I am happy to hear that everything went smoothly for you! Please feel free to fill me in with your SSS' developments! Happy landings and Friday! -Seba
Sebastian_BHcsr is offline Find More Posts by Sebastian_BHcsr
Old Sep 28, 2012, 07:25 PM
Va.Beach VA.
Joined Aug 2007
2,128 Posts
See....I told you.

Thanks for your exact description of the facility. I think you forgot one description... the carpet. (Make sure you don't forget next time)
But really, I'm glad everything worked out for you man!

I'm kinda taking my time on things. Still haven't got a separate BEC yet. Not sure what brand to get yet tho.
Old Oct 01, 2012, 09:05 PM
Customer Support
United States, CA, Irwindale
Joined Nov 2010
252 Posts
Quote:
See....I told you.

Thanks for your exact description of the facility. I think you forgot one description... the carpet. (Make sure you don't forget next time)
But really, I'm glad everything worked out for you man!

I'm kinda taking my time on things. Still haven't got a separate BEC yet. Not sure what brand to get yet tho.
Hello G LO.

If you don't mind me asking, what are your plans for the separate BEC and what item(s) are you planning on using it for?

- Nancy P.
Nancy BH CSR is offline Find More Posts by Nancy BH CSR
Old Oct 01, 2012, 09:37 PM
Va.Beach VA.
Joined Aug 2007
2,128 Posts
Hi Nancy! Not use to having folks asking me questions.

Umm... well, the guys on the 1st SSS forum mentioned that they suspect the crash of the two or so members was or could have the esc. Begin that I'm still learning about the electronic of an aircraft that has MORE than 4 servos, I'm leaned that its a strain on the esc that has only 3s and not more. So, to be on the safe side, I'm trying to get all my hardware surely but slowly.

Here is one-of- the pages folks are still discussing one of beloved member SSS demise: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...7#post22887750
Last edited by G-LO; Oct 07, 2012 at 05:57 PM.
Old Oct 03, 2012, 01:47 PM
Joined Jun 2012
191 Posts
Hi G-LO! I will further investigate your concerns with a few of our lead technicians. Thanks for the feedback! -Seba
Sebastian_BHcsr is offline Find More Posts by Sebastian_BHcsr
Old Oct 03, 2012, 03:29 PM
Va.Beach VA.
Joined Aug 2007
2,128 Posts
Thank y'all very much Sebastian & Nancy! Your help is.....very refreshing *
Old Oct 06, 2012, 03:43 PM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
Hi Nancy! Not use to having folks asking me questions.

Umm... well, the guys on the 1st SSS forum mentioned that they suspect the crash of the two or so members was or could have the esc. Begin that I'm still learning about the electronic of an aircraft that has MORE than 4 servos, I'm leaned that its a strain on the esc that has only 3s and not more. So, to be on the safe side, I'm trying to get all my hardware surely but slowly.

Here is one the pages folks are still discussing one of beloved member SSS demise: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...7#post22887750
Hmmmm... That post does not seem to be discussing anything about the demise of anything.
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Old Oct 06, 2012, 04:26 PM
Va.Beach VA.
Joined Aug 2007
2,128 Posts
Really?
Old Oct 07, 2012, 05:41 PM
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2006
1,280 Posts
Quote:
Here is one the pages folks are still discussing one of beloved member SSS demise: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...7#post22887750
This one?
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...4#post22876912

Ouch.
Old Oct 07, 2012, 06:11 PM
Va.Beach VA.
Joined Aug 2007
2,128 Posts
SAD

That's to bad. He had one of the best fpv videos on the that thread...period. Instead of seeing houses, trees, grass, ground and pasturage, he showcased the plane in all its perspectives & glory. You knew he was flying the SSS, instead of just titleing the video that he was. I really enjoyed his videos.