SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 07, 2011, 09:39 AM
BANG IT!!!
United States, PA, Bellefonte
Joined Dec 2007
12,346 Posts
It may just be something with the Twist and or Fun Fly wing planes in general, it has to be done or they cannot 3D, I dont know. With the information Andrew Jeskey does on his video <all things slick> he proves, at least with the Slick, that Tail heavy has no gain for 3D.

Arron Bates and I had that same discussion at the Air Show. He said if everyone would watch just that part of the video, he would be very happy man. He indicated he get so many people asking about how tail heavy his plane is, how tail heavy they should make theirs. The answer is don't.

Even though 3D is all in stall, tail heavy is not an issue, but in order to transision from "move to move" there is typically unstalled flight and it needs to look good inbetween, and during landing.

Sorry, just an opinion / looking for non flaming input.

I guess David has the right idea with his weight slide system.
DaOldGuy is online now Find More Posts by DaOldGuy
Last edited by DaOldGuy; Aug 07, 2011 at 11:13 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 07, 2011, 10:37 AM
Northwest Indiana
Joined Feb 2011
1,461 Posts
All of my planes favor towards slightly nose heavy...including my newly finished Slick. That's just how I like to fly AND land them, lol. My Twist 60 I would say is nuetral and almost lands itself but I had it more tail heavy for a bit and did not like it at all. It flew fine but landing it was incredibly hard due to sensitivity with flaring...not a good combo with a slow landing plane.

Hoping to maiden the slick today btw...If I do I will get some Video
CRFan1 is offline Find More Posts by CRFan1
Old Aug 07, 2011, 11:38 AM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
8,093 Posts
I like 3d planes to be nuetral to slightly nose heavy. It's good if it requires just a tiny but of down elevator in WOT inverted flight to stay flat. Everything I have been practicing works out great on a plane like that.

So... before doing anything to adjust balance I would take it up, trim it for level flight right side up then flip it over and see what inputs are required for level flight at WOT. Move the battery pack accordingly. Then repeat until its dialed in. It should only take one pack or so to have it perfect.
3DNater is online now Find More Posts by 3DNater
Old Aug 07, 2011, 11:43 AM
BANG IT!!!
Joined Dec 2007
12,346 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brathanke View Post
I like 3d planes to be nuetral to slightly nose heavy. It's good if it requires just a tiny but of down elevator in WOT inverted flight to stay flat. Everything I have been practicing works out great on a plane like that.
I am in the same place you are with this Nate. So with my original thoughts, is tail heavy more a thing to get the twist / fun fly planes to have more stall manuver abilities since the twist is not an easy stall?

I have heard very good pilots on this thread state a Twist just wont flat spin well with out having tail weight. We had a guy at our field with a Katana <120 size> that did the same thing to get it to go into spins and such. Of course it balooned like a beast on landing.
Old Aug 07, 2011, 12:06 PM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
8,093 Posts
I flew my twist very nose heavy with the saito 72 because I was too lazy to spend the time building the battery hatch. I got it to do some really nice inverted flat spins. I don't think it would flat spin right side up like that though. I also had no problem getting it into an upright harrier.

Inverted flight was just scary though lol. I didn't do it much because of the setup. I may goof around with it more but the tt40 is low on my priority list right now.
Old Aug 07, 2011, 01:04 PM
A trail of smoke is GOOD!
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaOldGuy View Post
I ordered the G5.5 upgrade today, how many have that version?
I do.

Quote:
One of our local club guys has a UCanDo with a Saito 100. The way the fuel tank is placed in the plane, it just constantly is filling the cylinder with fuel, it wont run right, it has been ugly. Anyone fight this battle? He is thinking he will need to buy a regulator for it to sort this out.

Thoughts?
My UCD 60 had a Saito 1.25, no problem. You can try looping the fuel feed line up to try and stop some siphoning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerwin50 View Post
Mike the BoneDoc has a video on landing 3D planes. He says less elev more throttle when you want your wheels to touch the runway. Another guy mixes 3% down elev with low throttle. That is how they reccomend landing a tailheavy 3D plane.

Well I'm hoping to go flying laters today though all I've got running is is my tigermoth 400. I've been so busy with the grandboys I havn't had a chance to repair my MX's motor box. I bought a 110cc mini Quad for my 12 year old grandson for 200 dollars and we spent the day working on it an riding it, Once again I was out past midnight.
I was wondering what plane that was??

I wind up setting most of my planes at the rear of the recommended range. That does not always get my flat spins as flat as I like. Some planes don't like to make really flat, tight spins. I have been successful improving flat spins with elevator -> flaperon mixes (on a switch of course).
waynemia is offline Find More Posts by waynemia
Old Aug 07, 2011, 01:08 PM
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by u2builder View Post
I have a UCD with Saito 100 mounted inverted, std fuel tank, no issues, runs great.

I decided to replace the OS AX 55 in my Tweplica with a used Saito 82. (Nate, I put your former 72 in my Lamyak profile.) I am switching all my planes to Saito 4S power. What I thought would be a bolt in replacement because the bolt pattern is the same wasn't. The Saito has the carb in the back and the motor mount wasn't long enough. So I had to put a new motor mount in. You know how that goes. And the throttle cable had to be relocated. What I thought would take an hour probably took 4 hours. I still have some work to do on the throttle.

Can someone remind me again what the preferred CG is on the Twist. I'd like to know the rear limit as well as the "recommended" CG for good 3D performance. Thanks!
Caution: Do not inadvertently skip this step!
The recommended Center of Gravity (CG) range for
the Twist™ is 4"–5" behind the leading edge of the
wing against the fuselage. It is suggested to start at
the forward end of the range until comfortable with
the flight characteristics of your aircraft. If
necessary, move the battery pack or add weight to
either the nose or the tail until the correct balance is
achieved. Stick-on weights are available at your local
hobby shop or Harbor Freight and work well for this purpose.
Last edited by waynemia; Aug 07, 2011 at 01:23 PM.
Old Aug 07, 2011, 01:52 PM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,539 Posts
Sorry Wayne, I guess this is why we call this the twistacholic thread, kinda like Waldo posting pic's of his soap box cars and Derby.
Now Da Rock he threw a little fit and thats how we all ended up here, and thats why we created this thread were all topic's are welcome, except religon and politics.
The main thing is we all except each other an get along.
kerwin50 is offline Find More Posts by kerwin50
Old Aug 07, 2011, 01:56 PM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,539 Posts
Well I'm charging batteries now, hoping to fly this evening, Now of course the MX is staying home, I was just much to busy to get her ready this weekend.
Happy flying Guys
Old Aug 07, 2011, 02:25 PM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
8,093 Posts
Ok so I just thought I'd post some realflight vids that kind of document my learning and progression in 3d skills. I am still very much a novice but this should be fun anyways.

Up first is a vid I made in July of last year. This is when I first started hearing the 3d sirens in my head

G4 yak 54 3d fun (3 min 14 sec)

This is a few months later in September 2010. It's long so I'd just kind of take a look and move on. It shows a progression from randomly flying to starting to try certain skills like harrier rolling.
Practicing Harrier Rolls (10 min 5 sec)

I made this one in g5.5 this morning.
1yr 3d progress report RFG5_5 89 slick.wmv (3 min 33 sec)
Old Aug 07, 2011, 02:35 PM
United States, IL, Crystal Lake
Joined Jan 2009
5,551 Posts
Nice flying Nate! Really cool to see the progression over time! You've got some great skills developing. When are you going to get a real 89" slick?!
SnowDog1974 is offline Find More Posts by SnowDog1974
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Old Faithful - 3DHS 51" Slick
Old Aug 07, 2011, 02:45 PM
BANG IT!!!
Joined Dec 2007
12,346 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynemia View Post

My UCD 60 had a Saito 1.25, no problem. You can try looping the fuel feed line up to try and stop some siphoning.
Sadly... that was the first thing he did, he has been hitting the forums with no luck. One even said to relo the fuel tank.
Old Aug 07, 2011, 03:04 PM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,539 Posts
Quote:
Sadly... that was the first thing he did, he has been hitting the forums with no luck. One even said to relo the fuel tank.
The Cline or Ironbay regulator works really well
http://www.ironbaymodelcompany.com/i...es/Page438.htm
Last edited by kerwin50; Aug 07, 2011 at 03:11 PM.
Old Aug 07, 2011, 03:30 PM
BANG IT!!!
Joined Dec 2007
12,346 Posts
Quote:
The Cline or Ironbay regulator works really well
http://www.ironbaymodelcompany.com/i...es/Page438.htm
Thanks, that is a better price then the one he was looking at.
Old Aug 07, 2011, 03:42 PM
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,226 Posts
Quote:
Sorry Wayne, I guess this is why we call this the twistacholic thread, kinda like Waldo posting pic's of his soap box cars and Derby.
Now Da Rock he threw a little fit and thats how we all ended up here, and thats why we created this thread were all topic's are welcome, except religon and politics.
The main thing is we all except each other an get along.
I was laughing at myself...