SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 22, 2005, 09:45 PM
Canada, ON, Kingston
Joined Aug 2000
2,040 Posts
Schneider Trophy racing - Kingston Ont., June '06

Last summer, after an evening float/hull flying at Robert Pike's cottage, there was a discussion of the practicality of building and flying Schneider Trophy racers. After a bit of discussion, we decided that 350 -400 sq. in. and 300W was a good target - small enough for one piece models but big enough to handle some wind. I said I'd look for a site we could use on the same weekend as the next Kingston E-Fly - June 24/25 2006.

Last weekend, a local flier hosted a club float fly and was very responsive to our using his house as "float central" next year. He is less than 20K from our regular field on a long, fairly shallow lake with the prevailing wind blowing down its length. Our tentative plan is to call him from the field at about 4pm on the Saturday to check conditions, and if they're OK, we'll all drive up there for some informal "racing" at 5 or 6. (Keith said it will probably end up being more like a parade as we are encouraging any Schneider racer)

Interested? 350 - 400 sq. in means 1/8 or 1/7 scale. A geared 035 on 10 cells is a good 300W motor and the brushed speed controller is more likely to survive a dunking. (We are working on the honour system here - we're flying for FUN)

I think it would be really cool to get 3 or 4 of these models into the air at the same time. So far, we have 4 pilots interested and I'm hoping some more people will be willing to give it a try.

Robert Pike is planning for a Macchi M33
Keith Shaw likes the Short-Bristow Crusader
Louis Dionne wants to do the Savoia S51
and I have drawn up a Macchi-Castoldi MC72 (no, not with contra rotating props!)

Google "Schneider trophy" for lots of information. If you need 3-views, (really need them 'coz you ARE going to build it - right?), let me know and I can probably help you out.

The plan is for fun, and the spirit of the early racers, a little the way Rhinebeck tries to be.

What do you think?

Martin
Martin Irvine is online now Find More Posts by Martin Irvine
Last edited by Martin Irvine; Sep 26, 2005 at 05:05 PM. Reason: Slight change to wing area info
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 22, 2005, 10:01 PM
designer/builder
Kars, Ontario, Canada
Joined Apr 2004
807 Posts
Count me in!

Thanks for the early notice. Now to pick a subject and get working on a new set of plans!

Rob
madrob is offline Find More Posts by madrob
Old Sep 22, 2005, 10:59 PM
lake orion mi
Joined Sep 2002
1,096 Posts
s 51

Here is the one i like .
mistairjoe is offline Find More Posts by mistairjoe
Old Sep 22, 2005, 11:05 PM
lake orion mi
Joined Sep 2002
1,096 Posts
Try again.

So sorry. try once more.Joe
Old Sep 23, 2005, 08:13 AM
Canada, ON, Kingston
Joined Aug 2000
2,040 Posts
OK! Louis will like that colour scheme.

Martin
Old Sep 23, 2005, 01:18 PM
designer/builder
Kars, Ontario, Canada
Joined Apr 2004
807 Posts
Macchi M67 for me!

I've been meaning to build a Macchi for a while now and just love the triple banked nose of the M67.

Now, tell me more about what motor and batts we can use. I am only a couple years into this electric thing and I only have lipo batteries and S400 is the largest motor I have used.

Cheers!

Rob
Old Sep 23, 2005, 08:46 PM
Canada, ON, Kingston
Joined Aug 2000
2,040 Posts
Hi Rob:
Pick up a used Astro 035G, (cheap!), and a 3S pack capable of 30A and you are all set. Or a 10 cell round cell pack, (10 X 1950FUAP or 10 X 1700SCR) if you don't want to go Lipo. Of course you can also use a lighter brushless motor but 10 cells/3S and 30 amps is a good target.

350 - 400sq. in. should result in a sub 20oz. wing loading with a little care.

Anyone else?

Martin
Last edited by Martin Irvine; Sep 26, 2005 at 05:06 PM. Reason: slight change to wing area info
Old Sep 26, 2005, 06:08 PM
Canada, ON, Kingston
Joined Aug 2000
2,040 Posts
Please note the edited wing area - 350-400 sq. in.

Martin
Old Sep 29, 2005, 01:37 PM
Suspended Account
ni'ihau
Joined Nov 2003
3,241 Posts
Martin,
If you wanted to do the Macchi with contra rotating props I could help. I would be pleased to be part of this very deserving scale project. Please PM me.
Eljimb0 is offline Find More Posts by Eljimb0
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Sep 29, 2005, 04:45 PM
Designer/Builder
Brighton, MI USA
Joined Jun 2000
1,896 Posts
Hey Martin,

Do you have 3-views for a S6B or a CAMS 38?

I don't know if I'll make it to the meet, but I had it on my list to build some type of float plane forever, and this seems as good a reason as any!

If I do a Bipe, am I still limited to 400 squares? I'm not sure how it would scale

-Jim
Jim Young is offline Find More Posts by Jim Young
Old Sep 29, 2005, 11:19 PM
Canada, ON, Kingston
Joined Aug 2000
2,040 Posts
Hi Jim:

I can fit you up with good drawings of the S6b (cross-sections etc.) and a 3 view of the CAMS 38. I also have the CAMS 36 with cross-sections. It was essentially a tractor version of the 38. What is your address?

You will find that the biplanes had similar wing area to the monoplanes. By all means, go for more area but you will end up with a larger plane.

You aren't that far from Keith. The two of you should get together for test flying in the spring.

Martin
Last edited by Martin Irvine; Sep 30, 2005 at 08:50 AM. Reason: forgot to ask for address
Old Sep 30, 2005, 09:09 AM
Designer/Builder
Brighton, MI USA
Joined Jun 2000
1,896 Posts
Hi Martin,

Sent you a PM. I'll get with Keith once I start drawing. Let me know if Louis doesn't do the S51, that one looks cool!

Right now I'm leaning for the S6B, since it mould be a better flyer, but the CAMS boats may be easier to design with one hull.

-Jim
Old Sep 30, 2005, 01:42 PM
lake orion mi
Joined Sep 2002
1,096 Posts
Hey. people i am doing a S51 also.The Cams looks almost like it. Whats the scoop?Joe
Old Oct 01, 2005, 08:11 AM
Designer/Builder
Brighton, MI USA
Joined Jun 2000
1,896 Posts
Hi Joe,

I'm not sure, that is the only picture of the CAMS that I found. I think the S51 is pretty cool, but Louis Dionne has dibbs on that one. The CAMS 38 was pretty close and might be a good subject.

-Jim
Old Oct 01, 2005, 10:19 AM
designer/builder
Kars, Ontario, Canada
Joined Apr 2004
807 Posts
Good progress

Well, I made great progress last night and am really getting keen on this project. Here's what one evenings work got me. That complicated nose will really add time to the design and build but it's the main reason I chose this plane. It's just so menacing.

It's pretty windy here today so I will probably get the basic drawing finished today and then I can scale it to the correct size.

Rob