HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 01, 2014, 03:14 PM
Tr3TopFlyer
Joined Aug 2013
613 Posts
Build Log
VooDooQuads put a spell on me...VDQ280

Ok that's a corny title but I wanted to start a thread about my VDQ280 build. This frame is made by VooDooQuads and it's available in a 5" or 6" prop version. I chose the 6" which is listed on their website as 265mm but the motor spacing diagonally is in fact 280mm. I'm not sure why the discrepancy (update, they changed the listing to reflect 280). I first saw this frame when someone on one of my FB groups showed his build. I like the lines because it is not a shoebox with arms as most of the minis are today. The construction is G10 which is fine with me. I asked VDQ about CF. They said that because of the thickness of the bottom plate and the bevels and countersinks, CF wasn't a good fit. It tends to fray instead of give a clean cut on a bevel. This frame sort of reminds me of an XHover frame getting a lot of its strength from a thick uni construction, with arms integrated into the center section. The frame also incorporates a PDB which snaps into the bottom plate. All the cutouts were calculated using stress analysis for maximum strength. It is definitely a tank.

So I wanted to build something I don't already have. I have numerous minis (DRQ250, BAH, MXP220, RD290 hex, Strider) and my last used 6" props and 2206 2000kv motors on 3s. I love the power I get from that setup so I decided to take that a step farther. I decided to use the same motors that many are using on the Blackout 330, the Cobra 2208 2000kv and run them on 4S. I hesitated using 4S because I knew my AUW wouldn't be as great as the typical BO 330 and worried that I would have too much power (some are saying they get over 1kg/motor on 6"/4S) for the setup. I did some thrust testing and I didn't see those results so I think it is going to be fine. My tests showed about 900g, maybe a little less at full throttle.

Here are the specs...
*Acro Naze32
*Cobra 2208 2000kv
*Quadrysteria 25a ESCs running BLHeli 12.2 with damped light enabled
*6x45 props
*1800mah 4S 65c battery
* DTF UHF Rx (openlrsng) with homemade light-tip dipole 433mhz antenna
*1.3Ghz VTx with a yet to be homemade Airscrew CP antenna
*AUW ~ 875g

In order to be able to make these components work, I needed to make some mods to the frame. First, I had to make more space between the bottom and mid plates in order to get the 25a ESCs to fit. The frame is designed for 12a, which fit perfectly as designed, but in doing my tests I found that at full throttle I pulled over 20a. I could have gone with a 20a ESC but I like the Quadrysteria blue series ESCs and they come as 25a. Honestly they look to be about the same size as any 20a. I added .125" spacers to give me the clearance I needed. The 25ampers fit nicely now. I decided to try BLHeli firmware again. I tried it once a while ago at version 11.4 or something and didn't see any advantage over SimonK. The word is that with version 12.x all syncing issues with high speed motors, even with damped light turned on, are a thing of the past. We shall see but so far in my testing everything looks very good.

The next modification I needed to make was providing for the 4S battery. I guessed that the largest 4S I could get away with was a 1800mah and I was right. In order to use that battery I had to mount it on the top plate instead of on the middle plate. Not knowing which position (front to rear) the battery would need to be for perfect CG I used an additional middle plate to extend the top plate all the way to the back. This gives me the freedom to move the battery forward or back as needed to balance. As it turned out the battery needs to be as forward as possible, without hitting the Mobius. I could remove the extra middle plate as the battery is fully supported by the normal top plate, but I decided to leave it. It protects my UHF Rx and I believe it looks better. Keep in mind, with this motor/prop/battery combination I’m not very worried about weight.
The one drawback to this frame is the lack of a dampened camera mount. Anyone who has used a Mobius knows how susceptible to jello they are. So the last modification I made was to order an additional top plate and cut it down to make a Mobius camera mount. I could have used a leftover piece of CF or something but I really wanted this to have a nice finished look. I mounted and isolated the cam plate using moongel which superglues quite nicely. I’ll use a couple of zip ties for safety in case of a crash but I’ve done this method before and never had a problem. The moongel seems to be pretty perfect for the mass of the Mobius. As soon as I can get a sunny day to shoot video I’ll post something. Here’s a picture of the finished plate.

I'm still waiting for my VTx, which will be a 1.3Ghz, to finish the build. It should arrive today and then all I need is some decent weather to tune it up and maiden. I've attached some pictures and a link to the entire build if you're interested. This is going to be my most powerful quad of any size including my Cinetank. With an AUW of 875g it will have a power to weight ratio of >4:1. I can't wait to give it a fly.

The full build...
http://s47.photobucket.com/user/Tr3T...ad%20280/story
chyoung is offline Find More Posts by chyoung
Last edited by chyoung; Dec 01, 2014 at 03:36 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 01, 2014, 03:14 PM
Tr3TopFlyer
Joined Aug 2013
613 Posts
Finished with all FPV gear. I added two stays to keep the camera mount from separating in a crash.

I've maiden'd and tuned this quad and I'm really happy with the results. So much power it was necessary to turn the gains down a good amount but it is rock solid. Very locked in, incredible yaw authority. This motor/prop/battery combo is a winner and one I will use again.

Last edited by chyoung; Dec 03, 2014 at 07:38 AM.
Old Dec 01, 2014, 04:19 PM
Quad Addict
United States, WA, Auburn
Joined Aug 2011
664 Posts
Love the frame with its curved shape and beveling. Your build is very clean looking. Looks like the mini Sony camera fits clean on the swivel between the plates. Any recommendation on BLHeli flashing tutorial?
rscofield is offline Find More Posts by rscofield
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Quad Candy!
Old Dec 01, 2014, 05:40 PM
Tr3TopFlyer
Joined Aug 2013
613 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rscofield View Post
Love the frame with its curved shape and beveling. Your build is very clean looking. Looks like the mini Sony camera fits clean on the swivel between the plates. Any recommendation on BLHeli flashing tutorial?
It's so easy when you have ESCs with the SimonK bootloader enabled. You just connect the ESC to a USB linker like the Afro, through the servo lead and run the BLHeli suite software. If you can flash with SK and an Afro linker you can do this.
Old Dec 01, 2014, 06:11 PM
Joined Sep 2011
58 Posts
Wow, it looks awesome! I like the modifications you made to the build to fit a top-mounted battery. Got any FPV footage yet?
MidwestRob is offline Find More Posts by MidwestRob
Old Dec 01, 2014, 06:15 PM
Tr3TopFlyer
Joined Aug 2013
613 Posts
Not yet. Bad weather here but hoping for a break tomorrow.
Old Dec 03, 2014, 05:32 PM
Tr3TopFlyer
Joined Aug 2013
613 Posts
I have been able to do some flying (no video I'm willing to show yet) and I love the way this quad handles. So much power. I'm still getting used to the throttle as it hovers at just over 25%. This is a great motor/battery/prop combination.

BTW, my camera mount seems to work well and I don't think I'm getting any jello but I won't know for sure until I get a sunny day, which around here is hard to come by this time of year.
Old Dec 03, 2014, 07:44 PM
It's a job...
United States, PA, Warrington
Joined May 2012
1,277 Posts
Fantastic looking mini. Clean build!

The Lotus 1280 looks great on it. I have a mini in the works and am going to put that on there.

What type of flight times are you getting?
Do you think it would fly ok with 3s?
747Pilot is offline Find More Posts by 747Pilot
Old Dec 03, 2014, 08:47 PM
United States, CA, Placentia
Joined Jun 2014
21 Posts
What did you use for the standoffs/feet under the motors? Super clean build. Looks really nice.
Bchirrick is online now Find More Posts by Bchirrick
Old Dec 03, 2014, 11:07 PM
Joined Dec 2014
1 Posts
Nice clean build! I cant wait to get my VDQ250 in the air! It's a strong frame! Ask the soccergoal I plowed! ooppss
CODERED is offline Find More Posts by CODERED
Old Dec 04, 2014, 07:41 AM
Tr3TopFlyer
Joined Aug 2013
613 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 747Pilot View Post
Fantastic looking mini. Clean build!

The Lotus 1280 looks great on it. I have a mini in the works and am going to put that on there.

What type of flight times are you getting?
Do you think it would fly ok with 3s?
I'm getting around 6 minutes if I fly easy. I'm really still getting used to the throttle. I'll try it on a 3s 2200mah 6c pack and let you know. I'm curious myself.
Old Dec 04, 2014, 07:44 AM
Tr3TopFlyer
Joined Aug 2013
613 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bchirrick View Post
What did you use for the standoffs/feet under the motors? Super clean build. Looks really nice.
Those are black nylon 1" cable clamps.
http://cdn3.volusion.com/fgmbu.yqqyq...jpg?1384411945
They are the perfect mini landing gear IMO.
Last edited by chyoung; Dec 04, 2014 at 07:58 AM.
Old Dec 04, 2014, 07:48 AM
Tr3TopFlyer
Joined Aug 2013
613 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CODERED View Post
Nice clean build! I cant wait to get my VDQ250 in the air! It's a strong frame! Ask the soccergoal I plowed! ooppss
LOL I'd love to see video if you have it. The weather here (Ohio) has been crappy ever since I finished this. As I said I did some flying yesterday and the day before but didn't get any video I'd want to share. Sunday looks like it might be possible and I'll try to get some then. Love how this thing flies though. Feels really locked in and stable. These are the important settings...

set rc_rate = 100
set rc_expo = 60
set thr_mid = 50
set thr_expo = 0
set roll_pitch_rate = 70
set yaw_rate = 90
set tpa_rate = 50
set tpa_breakpoint = 1500

set p_pitch = 30
set i_pitch = 36
set d_pitch = 23
set p_roll = 25
set i_roll = 34
set d_roll = 23
set p_yaw = 95
set i_yaw = 45
set d_yaw = 0
set p_alt = 50
set i_alt = 0
set d_alt = 0
set p_level = 90
set i_level = 10
set d_level = 100
set p_vel = 120
set i_vel = 45
set d_vel = 1
Old Dec 06, 2014, 07:08 AM
United States, IA, Crystal Lake
Joined Apr 2014
80 Posts
Well ive been on the fence with this quad for a couple of weeks but after seeing yo ure build I guess Ive gottta place an order today i really like youre frame mods and the 1inch cable ties is great if you dont mind im gonna start useing them too. Great job
throttleback is online now Find More Posts by throttleback
Old Dec 06, 2014, 09:11 AM
Tr3TopFlyer
Joined Aug 2013
613 Posts
Thanks TB. That's why we post. So we can share each other's ideas.