SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 28, 2014, 04:36 PM
Germany, NRW, Cologne
Joined Jan 2014
5 Posts
Discussion
K-Bar black edition - what type of sensors?

Hi guys,

first I want to apologize for my bad english. I am from germany and foreign languages ​​were never my forte

I got one of the new K-BAR "Black Edition" and I have read in this forum that this thing is a clone of the clone (blue Koala K-Bar).

Has anyone heard something negative about it?

I opened mine to examine the hardware and I was surprised that it is totally different from the original V-Bar and the blue K-Bar. Unfortunately the sensors are concealed with black plastics... Probably the manufacturer is concerned that someone can make a clone of the clone of the clone

I'm interested in whether the new design has drawbacks!? What kind of sensors are used? Is it Invensense IDG-500 and IDG-650? I think not because the dimensions of the covered chips seems to be different.

Here are my Photos of the Hardware:

Maybe someone has more information about these things specifically about the used hardware?
Does this Hardware has the same power/current problem like the Fu-Bars has?

Regards
Ralf
Cosmicos is offline Find More Posts by Cosmicos
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 21, 2014, 03:34 AM
Joined Dec 2011
3,521 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmicos View Post
Hi guys,

first I want to apologize for my bad english. I am from germany and foreign languages ​​were never my forte

I got one of the new K-BAR "Black Edition" and I have read in this forum that this thing is a clone of the clone (blue Koala K-Bar).

Has anyone heard something negative about it?

I opened mine to examine the hardware and I was surprised that it is totally different from the original V-Bar and the blue K-Bar. Unfortunately the sensors are concealed with black plastics... Probably the manufacturer is concerned that someone can make a clone of the clone of the clone

I'm interested in whether the new design has drawbacks!? What kind of sensors are used? Is it Invensense IDG-500 and IDG-650? I think not because the dimensions of the covered chips seems to be different.

Here are my Photos of the Hardware:

Maybe someone has more information about these things specifically about the used hardware?
Does this Hardware has the same power/current problem like the Fu-Bars has?

Regards
Ralf
My understanding is they are using a 3 axis chip (most likely an Invensense ITG-3205 or similar) which has a digital signal output (the chips used in the Vbar have analog signal output) and a small microprocessor to convert the digital signals into analog signals that match what the Vbar firmware expects at the integrated ADCs on the main processor. So really it's not a clone of the blue Kbar at all but a completely separate design. I suspect that the yellows and the blacks are both coming from the same factory because except for the lack of LEDs on the black they appear to be identical.

The ITG-3205 is the same chip that was used in the Robird G31. The ITG-650 was used in the Tarot ZYX/ZYX-S as well as an ISZ-650 for the yaw axis.

From what I have read the blue Kbar is using an ITG-650 and an amplifier to match the signal levels of the ITG-500 used in the original 2 chip Vbar (current Vbars now use 3 ISZ-500's because to the ITG-500 is now EOL). The only Vbar clone that's really an exact clone is the Fly Wizard GV8000 which is a copy of the current 3 chip mini Vbar. And you have to be careful with those because some sellers will put a blue Kbar board in a GV8000 case and sell it for 3x the price. The true GV8000 has a black board with two subboards at right angles to the mainboard and a "V" on the case rather than a "K"
Atomic Skull is offline Find More Posts by Atomic Skull
Last edited by Atomic Skull; Dec 21, 2014 at 03:39 AM.
Old Dec 21, 2014, 03:53 AM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
12,418 Posts
I used one of the black ones in my Compass 7HV, it performed very well. The only downside is lack of any LED to indicate status but i didn't really find that to be any problem.

PS.. your English is perfect...
JetPlaneFlyer is online now Find More Posts by JetPlaneFlyer
Old Dec 26, 2014, 02:56 AM
Joined Dec 2011
3,521 Posts
I just found out that the full size Kbar is using an Invensense MPU-3050C so it's likely that this is what the yellow and black units are using as well.
Old Dec 31, 2014, 02:39 AM
United States, NY, New York
Joined Nov 2010
2,451 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic Skull View Post
I just found out that the full size Kbar is using an Invensense MPU-3050C so it's likely that this is what the yellow and black units are using as well.
I have a full install on my Agile 7.2. Seems to fly well...
ridge_racer is offline Find More Posts by ridge_racer
Old Dec 31, 2014, 07:41 PM
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Jun 2014
656 Posts
I've had 75 flights on a 500DFC this year. It works well.
Dave778 is offline Find More Posts by Dave778
Old Dec 31, 2014, 10:11 PM
United States, OR, Corvallis
Joined May 2014
472 Posts
Here is a really good deal on one, only $1346.97, plus $100 shipping

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/3-Axi...852220859.html
HeliFlyer14 is online now Find More Posts by HeliFlyer14
Old Dec 31, 2014, 11:11 PM
Joined Jan 2012
397 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliFlyer14 View Post
Here is a really good deal on one, only $1346.97, plus $100 shipping

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/3-Axi...852220859.html
$28.94 a piece for GV's is a great deal..
Rodo1268 is online now Find More Posts by Rodo1268
Old Jan 02, 2015, 03:27 AM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
5,019 Posts
$26.94, even better for a V.
beenflying is offline Find More Posts by beenflying
Old Jan 02, 2015, 03:35 AM
Joined Jan 2012
397 Posts
I factored in shipping..
Rodo1268 is online now Find More Posts by Rodo1268
Old Jan 02, 2015, 02:56 PM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
5,019 Posts
Arh, yes, well done.
beenflying is offline Find More Posts by beenflying
Old Jan 05, 2015, 06:11 PM
Joined Dec 2011
3,521 Posts
Would be cool if they would put a servo plug on the remote sensor on the full size units instead of hardwiring the lead. Also they should have put the 8V 4 pin port for the programming box somewhere other than right next to the sensor plug and used a keyed futaba plug on the sensor lead.
Old Jan 05, 2015, 09:55 PM
Joined Dec 2011
3,521 Posts
In case anyone is interested here is what the full size kbar looks like inside:

Main unit:

And the sensor:

The larger chip is an Invensense MPU-3050C and the the thing in the center is a tri color LED that flashes different colors depending on if the sensor rotates in aileron elevator or yaw. I think the button is to change the mounting orientation, the only way to access it is to open the case or drill a hole in it. The thing near the lead attachment is some sort of logo etched into the board. There are also three pads on the other side that don't seem to be used for anything.

The bottom is less interesting, just a chip covered in epoxy and some foam tape attaching the board to the bottom of the case.

It looks as if they cloned the main unit but came up with their own sensor based on a different chip than the real Vbar.

Oh yeah and if you accidentally plug the sensor into the programming port (which is right next to it) it destroys the sensor.
Last edited by Atomic Skull; Jan 05, 2015 at 10:05 PM.
Old Jan 09, 2015, 12:16 PM
just gotta mess with it!
North West Louisiana
Joined Nov 2009
5,277 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic Skull View Post
Oh yeah and if you accidentally plug the sensor into the programming port (which is right next to it) it destroys the sensor.
It's a good job we've got guinea pigs to do that for us!

Wonder if Banggood do replacement sensors? There must be a market for them!
2Doggs is offline Find More Posts by 2Doggs
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Nano Tech 1800mah 4S 25-50c
Old Jan 09, 2015, 01:29 PM
United States, NY, New York
Joined Nov 2010
2,451 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Doggs View Post
It's a good job we've got guinea pigs to do that for us!

Wonder if Banggood do replacement sensors? There must be a market for them!
It would make sense but nothing ever does with the clone industry...
ridge_racer is offline Find More Posts by ridge_racer