HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 15, 2015, 04:12 AM
United States, LA, Kenner
Joined Sep 2014
566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaZoom View Post
As long as pin config and shorted pins are the same, normally outer pins from memory.
Thank you!
Rain1dog is online now Find More Posts by Rain1dog
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 21, 2015, 07:34 PM
Joined Sep 2012
382 Posts
Took my plane up again today and flew it on Beginner with High Rates. I also moved the battery from almost all the way back to almost all the way forward and the plane flew much better with much less wobble.
More experience with the differential thrust and the change in CG made it more fun to fly!
Thx
Bob6831 is offline Find More Posts by Bob6831
Old Jan 21, 2015, 09:38 PM
United States, CT, Southington
Joined Apr 2008
143 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob6831 View Post
Took my plane up again today and flew it on Beginner with High Rates. I also moved the battery from almost all the way back to almost all the way forward and the plane flew much better with much less wobble.
More experience with the differential thrust and the change in CG made it more fun to fly!
Thx
Great!! It does fly better with the battery MOST of the way to the front and when you Give it full throttle and turn both sticks together it will turn on a dime!!!!
You need to remember that if your turning the rudder hard (Differential Motor) and you have little throttle it will NOT do much?
Turn Both sticks together with adequate power when you need to turn fast to avoid something?
Sarge707 is online now Find More Posts by Sarge707
Old Jan 22, 2015, 05:28 PM
Marshal Bravestarr's Sidekick
Canada, AB, High Level
Joined Sep 2014
32 Posts
I've flown mine in temps so cold my mobius iced up and froze.

I believe it was around -30c.

It sounds like your motor. Here's what I'd do.

Upgrade to these, it's quite cheap and most likely fix your issue.

For $24, the difference in power is astounding.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Xtreme-PRO-1.../221651707399?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RexGalore View Post
I recently changed my ESC connector to Deans from EC-wee. After that, when I went to launch the DR at full throttle, the both motors would speed up, then cut out then rapidly speed up and cut out, over and over. 3/4 throttle and below was fine. I suspected a cold solder joint (I know how to solder, and have done it for years, but it's something that I don't display much talent for). I cut off the Deans, using a new connector I scrupulously cleaned and soldered it on very successfully.

When I had the plane on the bench, I went to gently turn one of the props out of the way, and it didn't move. I turned it backward, and it started to turn after a very slight resistance and a soft "tick" noise. I looked in the nacelle for any grit, etc but saw nothing.

Later on, I took it outside to try, and it still sped up and cut out at full throttle. I tried another (charged) battery. Same thing. I kept it at full throttle for a while, and after about 30 seconds, it stopped cutting out. I went out to the hayfield, and it flew fine.

Today, no wind, but 12 degrees this AM. Out to the hayfield and it does it's cut out routine. I launch at 3/4 throttle where it runs fine and fly for 30 seconds, then give it full throttle. It's fine. Fly out the battery at high speed. No problem.

This PM, I left the plane in the house (near the woodstove). Took it out and flew (16 degree weather!), and it didn't act up.

All the times it's messed up, I believe the temp was less than 20.

Does anyone have COLD weather experience like this? Any ideas about the motor not moving one way?

Thanks!
Thirty30 is offline Find More Posts by Thirty30
Old Jan 22, 2015, 06:30 PM
Prop-Snapping Excitement!
United States, CT, Hartford
Joined Feb 2014
133 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarge707 View Post
I researched Connectors the last few days and the EC2 on the Delta Ray will hold a continuous 20 AMP current which is much more than the Delta Ray requires!
All my batteries have Dean's connectors, so does my iCharger, and better new batteries than the EFlites are less expensive and more plentiful. I have no quarrel with the connector - I used it to make an adapter so that I can continue to use the EFlite battery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirty30 View Post
I've flown mine in temps so cold my mobius iced up and froze.

I believe it was around -30c.

It sounds like your motor. Here's what I'd do.

Upgrade to these, it's quite cheap and most likely fix your issue.

For $24, the difference in power is astounding.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Xtreme-PRO-1.../221651707399?
I can't compete with -30C, all I had was -12C. But since I've kept the DR inside (I also Gorilla taped the battery cover vents and nacelle openings to keep out the snow) I've had no more motor problems.

But thanks for the motor link! I will get a pair to have on hand if/when the motors start to act up again. I found this video on installing the upgrade motors:
delta ray motor upgrade hobbyzone xtreme pro 180 extreme (9 min 26 sec)
RexGalore is offline Find More Posts by RexGalore
Old Jan 22, 2015, 07:57 PM
SEMPER FI
United States, IL, Belleville
Joined Oct 2006
677 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RexGalore View Post
All my batteries have Dean's connectors, so does my iCharger, and better new batteries than the EFlites are less expensive and more plentiful. I have no quarrel with the connector - I used it to make an adapter so that I can continue to use the EFlite battery.

I can't compete with -30C, all I had was -12C. But since I've kept the DR inside (I also Gorilla taped the battery cover vents and nacelle openings to keep out the snow) I've had no more motor problems.

But thanks for the motor link! I will get a pair to have on hand if/when the motors start to act up again. I found this video on installing the upgrade motors:
http://youtu.be/GxTBVCk44Ic
Anyone here done this already? How much more performance are we talking? Is the DR faster? Noticeably more power? I am excited about this, I knew we could swap to brushless but still keeping everything stock and using "Safe" technology also is great! Well, I just bought them, so hoping I like them! Thanks for the link and info! Awesome!
JUCD VPR is offline Find More Posts by JUCD VPR
Last edited by JUCD VPR; Jan 22, 2015 at 08:02 PM.
Old Jan 22, 2015, 10:29 PM
Joined Feb 2014
271 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JUCD VPR View Post
Anyone here done this already? How much more performance are we talking? Is the DR faster? Noticeably more power? I am excited about this, I knew we could swap to brushless but still keeping everything stock and using "Safe" technology also is great! Well, I just bought them, so hoping I like them! Thanks for the link and info! Awesome!
There were a couple posts earlier in the thread and I contacted the posters but never found anyone who had used the pro motors for a long time. There were some posts about fets being blown, I believe. My flying buddy has just this week sent his receiver off to have upgraded mosfets installed - actually I think they will be adding additional fets to reduce the load. However, there are no guarantees that it will work long-term.

His watt meter tests indicated the pro motors draw about 40% more power. He got about 14 amps per motor directly wired and about half of that when wired through the receiver due to PWM, if I remember correctly.

It will be a month or more before he gets it back and starts to run the pros. I'll post more then if there is interest.
GottaZoom is offline Find More Posts by GottaZoom
Old Yesterday, 05:06 AM
Valhallax
Australia, SA, Mount Gambier
Joined Aug 2014
44 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaZoom View Post
There were a couple posts earlier in the thread and I contacted the posters but never found anyone who had used the pro motors for a long time. There were some posts about fets being blown, I believe. My flying buddy has just this week sent his receiver off to have upgraded mosfets installed - actually I think they will be adding additional fets to reduce the load. However, there are no guarantees that it will work long-term.

His watt meter tests indicated the pro motors draw about 40% more power. He got about 14 amps per motor directly wired and about half of that when wired through the receiver due to PWM, if I remember correctly.

It will be a month or more before he gets it back and starts to run the pros. I'll post more then if there is interest.
I think that there is definitely interest. keep us in the loop mate!!
ValhallaX is offline Find More Posts by ValhallaX
Old Yesterday, 10:15 AM
SEMPER FI
United States, IL, Belleville
Joined Oct 2006
677 Posts
Well I'll let you guys know in a week or so once I get them and install them, I ordered them the other day. Hopefully I don't burn anything up but if so i'll just rebuild. I hope this works and give my DR more power running the 180 Pro's.
JUCD VPR is offline Find More Posts by JUCD VPR
Old Today, 12:15 PM
JG 5
Germany, BW, Ludwigsburg
Joined Nov 2010
142 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JUCD VPR View Post
Well I'll let you guys know in a week or so once I get them and install them, I ordered them the other day. Hopefully I don't burn anything up but if so i'll just rebuild. I hope this works and give my DR more power running the 180 Pro's.
Hi!

My experience with 180 motors:

I bought a pair and I wanted to install them. What happened? I wanted the motors to counterrotate as it was before. As I learned about brushed motors you have to change positive and negative to make the motor running the other way.

DONT DO THIS, as I did. The brick will burn!!!!!

Avoid this fatal mistake!

Then have fun with more power!

By the way, Horizon Germany told me to send the brick and they will see what they can do. I told them the problem on phone and maybe they send a new one. We will see.
Bf 109 is offline Find More Posts by Bf 109
RCG Plus Member