Old Dec 14, 2014, 02:39 PM
Find More Posts by Thebigred1
The Netherlands, OV, Balkbrug
Joined May 2012
129 Posts
Build Log
Fokker F.XX 1:12

Hi all,

I`ve been keeping myself busy for the last 3 years with something and I`m finally coming out with it: I am building, well, am trying to build a Fokker F.XX.

Due to circumstances, progress is slow. And because although I`ve been flying for a couple of years, I never have built, let alone scratch built a pretty difficult airplane out of balsa doesn`t make things fo fast either.
A lot of people told me not to do it, because of my lack of experience, and that it is to hard, but that only fuels my determination to make a scale aircraft that flies well and will make their jaws drop...

So, and problably because, I`ve been to school as an aircraft maintenance technician I know very well how an aircraft works and flies. And defenatly should not rush things, I want to make a good flying aircraft, and when you don`t have all the knowledge, take it easy and think twice, or more....
Or just ask...I am very thankful that I already had some very useful help with the design of the wing. And here on the forum about LG retraction.

That being said;
Fokker F.XX specs:
Span: 2m14, (84")
Length: 1m40, (55")
Propusion: Electric,
Scale: as much as possible while keeping the weight in mind,
Estimated weight: max. 6kg. (13 lbs)

Original F.XX:
http://http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fokker_F.XX

The info I have about the F.XX, comes from a Dutch museum named "the Aviodrome" they were very helpful of showing me scanned drawings of the original F.XX.
I also managed to get a couple of drawings of a 1:30 static model, but they have a couple of faults in it.
And ofcourse the good ol` interweb also helped a lot.

I`m not good in 3D drawing but did manage to draw someting in the "Paint" of 3D drawing: Sketchup! This helps me with getting a better view of the steel-tubed airframe and how it all fits together.

I also use a program called VectorEngineer to make quick reproductions of 2D drawings. And to get dimensions of parts.

I am now at the point that I can start building some parts and make a test fit.
What I have done before, and works for me, is print out parts on paper, glue it on 3mm depron, cut it out and see if the assembly works.

Well, so far, so good, and we`ll see where we end up. Better be safe than sorry.

Cheers,

Marco

P.S. I know what The Big Red 1 is, but in this case it refers to all 6'4" of red-headed me...
Thebigred1 is offline Find More Posts by Thebigred1
Last edited by Thebigred1; Dec 14, 2014 at 02:55 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 14, 2014, 03:14 PM
Find More Posts by peterlngh
Joined Apr 2012
2,979 Posts
Hi, Marco. It sounds like you are aware of the pitfalls of such an ambitious project and there's lots of help available to get you through trouble spots.

As someone who started building models waaaay more than 40 years ago; the internet has made the impossible merely challenging. I sometimes wonder how we managed at all before the internet. Mostly; we built a lot of crummy planes and crashed a lot! When one adds in modern electric power and radio technology just about anything is possible. One of the biggest advantages is that one no longer has to engineer a design to handle the stress and vibration of a reciprocating engine. The weight savings, particularly in multi-engine applications, make all the difference in the world to the flying qualities of scale planes.

I think you will do fine but I do have a suggestion. Find an inexpensive and easy to build kit for practice. Simple things like using the myriad choices of glue available and the deciding what types of tools one wants to use are things best learned without the added difficulty of making everything from scratch. A minimal investment in time and money will do a lot to prevent building parts that don't fulfill your wishes.

Cheers!
peterlngh is online now Find More Posts by peterlngh
Old Dec 15, 2014, 03:43 AM
Find More Posts by AntiArf
Joined Feb 2013
835 Posts
Love the subject. Interesting features such as the covered nacelles, where for once a modeller wouldn't want to sheet them, versus having to go through the effort of sheeting to have scale appearing nacelles. Functional retracts would make it very interesting.
AntiArf is offline Find More Posts by AntiArf
Old Dec 15, 2014, 11:30 AM
Joined May 2012
129 Posts
@PeterIngh, thank you for the advice, I really appriciate it! But unfortunatly I am not in the position to buy another aircraft kit, so what I have done until now is read up on a lot of threads (and on the Dutch forum) written by experienced buiders about the use and application of glue. I will make a couple of test pieces of some spare wood I have and see how they hold up.

@AntiArf, Thanks, the nacelles will be covered with a material that has a textile structure. For example, Oratex.
I have finished the drawings for the main landing gear, and when I`ve got the materials (10mm aluminium) I can start turning the struts. How to make the system retract is something I have to see later on. Het basic idea is there, but needs more work.

Cheers,

Marco
Old Dec 18, 2014, 02:42 PM
Find More Posts by Bart83
71% of the world is runway . .
Nederland, ZH, Oostvoorne
Joined Jun 2009
2,174 Posts
Hi Marco ,

Nice to see you have started a thread here , have fun !

Bart
Bart83 is online now Find More Posts by Bart83
Old Feb 15, 2015, 07:10 AM
Joined May 2012
129 Posts
I`ve made a start in Sketchup to make a woodframe out of my wireframe.
It took me some time to figure out how to properly give the correct angles to the pieces, but after that, it was easy.
The frame is mainly out of 5mm (3/16th = 4,75mm) balsa, but thinner where it is possible.
The parts of the frame that can be seen from the outside or inside the cabin will be rounded, like the real steel frame. But where there is a thin tube needed, I probably will use a piece of carbon. This because balsa will not be strong enough with such a small diameter.

Marco
Last edited by Thebigred1; Feb 15, 2015 at 07:16 AM.
Old Feb 15, 2015, 12:25 PM
Find More Posts by Bart83
71% of the world is runway . .
Nederland, ZH, Oostvoorne
Joined Jun 2009
2,174 Posts
Nice you resumed work Marco !

Cheers,

Bart
Bart83 is online now Find More Posts by Bart83
Old Feb 15, 2015, 02:19 PM
Joined May 2012
129 Posts
Well, small steps, are steps too.... Life is a bit busy at this moment...

Marco
Old Feb 15, 2015, 06:48 PM
Find More Posts by mrittinger
ARFs make me BARF
United States, MI, Roseville
Joined Dec 2000
9,667 Posts
I've had documentation around for a long time on this one, neat subject I just never got around to...
mrittinger is online now Find More Posts by mrittinger
Old Feb 16, 2015, 05:20 AM
Joined May 2012
129 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrittinger View Post
I've had documentation around for a long time on this one, neat subject I just never got around to...
Now that makes me curious, what info do you have, and are you willing to share it with me?

Cheers,

Marco
Old Mar 02, 2015, 03:09 PM
Joined May 2012
129 Posts
OOOOOH crap....

I have got this 1:30 drawing of the F.XX, and according to that drawing, I`ve made a 3D drawing in Sketchup.
To check this, I imported a picture of the original drawing in Sketchup, and traced it. After that, held it next to the part drawn according to the 1:30 drawing...and lo and behold: It doesn`t even come close!
Let`s dance to Joy Division!!!

Next step: make the 3D drawing that I will use to build the F.XX according to the original drawing and not the 1:30 scale. Which will take a LOT more time....

Time to go to bed....

Cheers,

Marco
Old Apr 05, 2015, 04:48 PM
Joined May 2012
129 Posts
Finally it came to doing some drawing today, been very busy and when the girlfriend brakes her elbow, things don`t go very quick either...
It is not much, but it is something. Still figuring out the proper scaling with the nacelle and its frame, but the fuselage has made its first steps..

Cheers,

Marco