Find More Posts by KFC
KFC
Blue Foam Master!!!
United States, KY, Hanson
Joined May 2007
2,737 Posts
Build Log
101" span Tu-95 Bear D

Having finished testing the B-52 prototype, and waiting on the parts I ordered for it, I decided to go ahead and start in on the next plane on my list for SEFF 2014: the Tu-95 Bear D!

I'm building the Bear at 1:20 scale, which will give it a span of 101" and a length of 91", which is big enough to be visible and have some cool factor, but small enough to transport with a minimum of fuss.

Power will initially be provided by 4 Neo 450 motors turning 10x4.7 props, all of which will be run off a single 3s 5,000 mAh battery. 5 servos to round out the initial build and I should be able to get her airborne in a couple of weeks if I stay motivated.

I figure total weight at around 5-6 pounds for this one. Once I get it flying I may go back and replace the 450 motors with counter-rotating units and 4 bladed props, as well as a set of retractable gear.

I'm starting to get pretty proficient with this process, given that it only took me two evenings worth of work to churn out 12 sheets of parts and a fuselage! A couple of the fuse sections will need to be replaced because they don't fit properly, but that should not be a big deal. I'll start on the wings over the weekend.
KFC is offline Find More Posts by KFC
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 20, 2013, 09:53 AM
Find More Posts by Slushfund
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Feb 2013
13 Posts
Looks fantastic!

What do you use to design and print the parts sheet?
Slushfund is offline Find More Posts by Slushfund
Old Sep 20, 2013, 10:41 AM
Find More Posts by ibillwilson
Smells like SCIENCE!!!
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Jun 2012
341 Posts
Subscribed. I gotta see this one develop!
ibillwilson is offline Find More Posts by ibillwilson
Old Sep 20, 2013, 10:55 AM
Find More Posts by chambo88
1 can never have 2 many planes
Australia, QLD, Surfers Paradise
Joined Sep 2011
706 Posts
looking like its guna be a monster good luck with the build.. subbed
chambo88 is online now Find More Posts by chambo88
Old Sep 20, 2013, 10:59 AM
Find More Posts by cwrr5
I make stuff
United States, AZ, Marana
Joined Dec 2011
994 Posts
Chris, you're a blue foam monster!

subbed in!
cwrr5 is offline Find More Posts by cwrr5
Old Sep 20, 2013, 11:23 AM
KFC
Find More Posts by KFC
KFC
Blue Foam Master!!!
Joined May 2007
2,737 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slushfund View Post
Looks fantastic!

What do you use to design and print the parts sheet?
Adobe Acrobat
Old Sep 20, 2013, 01:36 PM
Find More Posts by mesnick
Italy, Lazio, Rome
Joined Nov 2004
690 Posts
KFC fantastic building,waiting progress
Mesnick
mesnick is offline Find More Posts by mesnick
Old Sep 20, 2013, 02:40 PM
Find More Posts by FliteMetal
Joined Mar 2009
433 Posts
There are multiple gear drives available over the counter today vs. what George Maiorana had to build.
FliteMetal is offline Find More Posts by FliteMetal
Old Sep 20, 2013, 03:44 PM
Find More Posts by Cphipps0826
United States, ID, Boise
Joined Apr 2012
223 Posts
looks like its going to be another awesome build
Cphipps0826 is offline Find More Posts by Cphipps0826
Old Sep 20, 2013, 10:51 PM
Find More Posts by Big_Joe_Mufferaw
Learning to fly
Canada, BC, Port Alberni
Joined Aug 2013
16 Posts
One of my favorite aircraft, good luck:-)
Big_Joe_Mufferaw is offline Find More Posts by Big_Joe_Mufferaw
Old Sep 21, 2013, 06:40 AM
Joined Mar 2009
433 Posts
Tu-95 Mechanical Docs Available

Chris:

You obviously have a wealth of detail in the card stock model. George and I dug a lot up back when his Tu-95
was under construction. I have detailed how-to to replicate the gear. There is a lot more detail on individaul
components. These parts dims are 1/12th. The complete project data is just over a gig if you want to mail a
thumb drive I will load and return. All components were bench grinder, drill press, and Dremel based work
not CNC.

For an animated motion illustration click here: http://www.scaleaero.com/leg_up.htm

I have the same detail for the flaps.
Last edited by FliteMetal; Sep 21, 2013 at 06:59 AM.
Old Sep 22, 2013, 09:56 AM
KFC
Find More Posts by KFC
KFC
Blue Foam Master!!!
Joined May 2007
2,737 Posts
Spent some time yesterday gluing, detailing, and installing formers in the fuselage, as well as putting the #2 engine nacelle together. Didn't get as far as I wanted, but some progress was made. I'll post some pics later this evening.

I have received several offers of assistance with this project in the form of drawings, plans, etc., and I would like to extend my thanks to those who have offered! I'm always willing to listen when someone offers advice. I may not always incorporate the suggestions, but I will certainly give consideration to any ideas that are offered.

For the moment, the landing gear and the counter-rotating motors are not my greatest concerns. Will it fit together properly, will it fly, and where to put the CG are my primary questions.

Another issue for me is cost. I need to make sure the airplane does not cost me too much in terms of time or money, otherwise I won't want to fly it. My goal is to have the whole thing done in 2 months and for less than $250.

This may sound a little crazy, but for me, it is part of the challenge of the build, and it drives how I construct the airplane.

Anyway, I'm off to the workshop with updates to follow.
Old Sep 22, 2013, 10:33 AM
Joined Mar 2009
433 Posts
CG Location Is Not An Issue

KFC,

The CG location (25% of MAC) is slightly aft of the intersect line extended inward along
the trailing edges.

MAC CG Calculator... Interactive... online: http://www.scaleaero.com/mac_page.htm

Extensive testing was done to verify with a glider created with which multiple CG were
observed to finally decide which was best to compensate for the differential between up
& locked vs. down & locked required to achieve correct, aka survivable CG positioning.
There were over 60 flights in competition over the 5 years of competition with George's Tu-95.
Enjoy the sine wave which makes it super realistic with those huge turbo-props.

If you are interested in competing with your Tu-95...I would be glad to sponsor the effort with
a contribution of Flite-Metal to cover your Tu-95 and like I said earlier, contribute all data with
which to replicate the 1:1. The multiple view line art drawings I have are Russian... ;^)

Finishing of the Flite-Metal aluminum would occur prior to its simple and quick application to
your airframe.

Paste this hyperlink to your browser to view the second flight of George's Tu-95.
Note: Wing tip will rise close to four inches at 1/12th scale just prior to ROG:

http://004edc4.netsolhost.com/FliteM...d%20Flight.wmv
Last edited by FliteMetal; Sep 22, 2013 at 07:27 PM.
Old Sep 22, 2013, 11:30 AM
Find More Posts by AirX
EDF rules... :)
Joined Nov 1999
13,726 Posts
I'm in, cool project KFC.

Cheers,
Eric B.
AirX is offline Find More Posts by AirX
Old Sep 23, 2013, 03:31 PM
KFC
Find More Posts by KFC
KFC
Blue Foam Master!!!
Joined May 2007
2,737 Posts
Did some more work on the Bear yesterday. Started engineering and cutting the parts I plan to use to join the wing to the fuselage.

I also discovered that the original parts for the wing panels are no good. leading edge isn't straight, panels are mismatched, etc., which means I will have to make a new set of wing panel templates from scratch. Oh, well, that's the way things go, I guess. Probably take me another day or two to get all the details worked out.