HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 14, 2013, 07:11 PM
Aurora Municipal, Illinois, United States
Joined Jul 2002
1,552 Posts
Ditto on the TiteBond. Tight joints and a good carpenters glue and you can't go wrong. Ambroid is still available. Feeling nostalgic I bought a tube for some fuse cross sheeting on my last build and forgot to use the stuff and never opened the tube. Bought it at my local hobby shop and she had a whole display box of the stuff. It is available you just need to dig for it a little.
bullseye000 is online now Find More Posts by bullseye000
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 14, 2013, 07:22 PM
Smokie Mountains
Joined Aug 2005
292 Posts
Thanks for the input Andy! I'll give the Titebond a try as Ive used it quite a bit for cabinetry, etc. & it performs well. Never considered it for modeling. Dont blame you for not wanting to huff CA - I have to smell it often enough at work along with accelerator (some of the women like to flood parts with accelerator which isnt necessary).
Alrui is offline Find More Posts by Alrui
Old Dec 14, 2013, 07:55 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
22,348 Posts
I'm allergic to it now. A whiff will get my eyes watering and nose stuffy, any more than that and I have flu symptoms for 3-4 days.

Andy
AndyKunz is online now Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 15, 2013, 10:39 AM
Smokie Mountains
Joined Aug 2005
292 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
I'm allergic to it now. A whiff will get my eyes watering and nose stuffy, any more than that and I have flu symptoms for 3-4 days.

Andy
Yep thats can & will happen over time. The woman at work that used it 8 hours a day kept getting sick (flu symptoms) and Ive been on the safety guy to get better ventilation for her work station which has a vent hood and is hooked into a filter system but that system is badly overloaded. I talked to her about using less accelerator and things were better for awhile till she went back to her old ways. When I use CA at home I put a fan in the window to TRY and pull fumes out which helps a little. Limiting exposure to CA & accelerator (as with all solvents, etc.) is a good idea for everyone who values their health.
Old Dec 15, 2013, 05:47 PM
Aurora Municipal, Illinois, United States
Joined Jul 2002
1,552 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post

Andy
Isn't that something. I used the stuff for years spilling it around on my builds. One afternoon I built up an entire wing then went to be. I woke up in the middle of the night feeling like someone was sitting on my chest. It was hard to catch a breath. It took 2 days before it cleared up. Ever since I've been sensitive to it. I only use it sparingly and as a dynamic clamp when I need it.
bullseye000 is online now Find More Posts by bullseye000
Old Dec 24, 2013, 11:54 AM
Smokie Mountains
Joined Aug 2005
292 Posts
Got my tube of Duco (Devcon) cement and tested it on some 1/16" sheet balsa gluing 2 pieces together along a straight cut. After drying overnight I bent the pieces holding one side in each hand and happily the balsa broke and NOT the glue joint - the sign of a good glue joint:-) I continued snapping the pieces and not once did it break along the glue line. I didnt use the 2 step process which would have likely resulted in an even stronger bond. Time to build now:-)
Old Dec 24, 2013, 02:49 PM
AMA 506547
United States, CA, North Highlands
Joined Sep 2004
8,075 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alrui View Post
Got my tube of Duco (Devcon) cement and tested it on some 1/16" sheet balsa gluing 2 pieces together along a straight cut. After drying overnight I bent the pieces holding one side in each hand and happily the balsa broke and NOT the glue joint - the sign of a good glue joint:-) I continued snapping the pieces and not once did it break along the glue line. I didnt use the 2 step process which would have likely resulted in an even stronger bond. Time to build now:-)
How does it sand??
punkindrublik is offline Find More Posts by punkindrublik
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Holy Tiny Transmitter Batman
Old Dec 24, 2013, 04:19 PM
United States, KY, Taylorsville
Joined Mar 2010
1,534 Posts
DUCO sands like it isn't there! That's my experience and I'm sticking with it!
ARUP is offline Find More Posts by ARUP
Old Dec 24, 2013, 07:46 PM
Two left thumbs
Muncie, IN
Joined Sep 2006
4,230 Posts
Duco, like Ambroid, is a nitrocellulose adhesive. Since wood is cellulose, it sands as if it were wood.

Duco was originally produced by DuPont, hence its name, but they sold their adhesives division some while ago. Ambroid also got sold, causing the long delay in getting it back on shelves - which prompted this thread in the first place.

I'm building a rubber scale model, and it's Ambroid all the way. It seems the FAC types use Ambroid or Duco a lot.
GeoffinIN is offline Find More Posts by GeoffinIN
Old Dec 25, 2013, 09:47 AM
Balsa breaks better
Buchanan Mi
Joined Apr 2005
2,066 Posts
Five tubes on feebay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-Tubes-of-A...item3a893b81ff

Joe
Thermaler is offline Find More Posts by Thermaler