22,861 Posts
Yup, farm raised eatin' fish.
Kmot is offline Find More Posts by Kmot
to remove ads between posts
Old May 08, 2010, 12:49 AM
United States, ID, Rexburg
Joined Sep 2008
6,430 Posts
I am going to cross post this just to give some people (especially those a little more organized like the irregulars) something to think about for challenged people to try out our hobby.
I am reposting part of this from one of my sea stories. But it does raise some questions.
Do any clubs/organizations have programs to aid physically/mentally challenged persons (to be politically correct)? Just some very simple modifications to some of our gear can make the hobby that much more accessible. I can see someone putting the steering and throttle into one stick on the radio and letting person drive the boat with the same muscle memory they use for driving their wheelchair.
One of my best friends was a young man with cerebral palsy, though he was of certified genius IQ he couldn't read very well he had trouble trying to get his eyes to stay still to focus on the words) and needed assistance for some other things.
I was paid at first then as we got closer I did it as a volunteer.
My radio for my trucks was a converted Circus Hobbies Cirrus 8 channel aircraft radio. My first radios were all stick radios and at the time I felt uncomfortable running a wheel radio (I have both now). It was a fantastic radio (although AM) but it weighed about what a cinder block did. Since I had two full gimbal sticks I decided to put the steering and throttle both on the same stick. Actually worked pretty well too! Once you got used to it.
Anyway, I was out running it waiting for Morris to get there for lunch (he needed a little help or he would shove huge bites into his mouth and choke so we helped him a little), running the buggy (a Marui BigBear (severely souped up)) and here comes Mo. I think for a minute and realize that the single controller on his power wheelchair is the same as the gimballed setup for my buggy! I ask him if he wants to give it a try and his face just lit up! I pitch the thing on the sidewalk and Mo pins the throttle and he is off like a shot. He hits a few things (and people on the sidewalk) but he has been running a controller like that for five years so he is like a fish to water. In a week, he could take my buggy and drive it to the cafeteria, while my girlfriend would sit in his lap and drive the chair down (with Mo really objecting to this strenuously of course), at flat out speed. We would take him to the top of the football bleachers (there was a BMX racecourse back there) and he could really go to town (good thing the big bear had a full roll cage to protect everything), he would attack that course, he loved it. I had one of the kid BMX guys offered to challenge me to a race and I just looked at him and said that the ace on that track was Morris! Morris looked like he was going to swallow his whole face he was smiling so wide. He had never been in a race in his life for anything, here this kid was going to race him!
Someone caved in the back window of my car and popped the trunk before the race could take place though, RATS! There is a special place in hell for the guy who did that he hurt a lot of people over his own greed and selfishness (good news is that I had pulled the receiver (to pop the case and clean it out), so when the dingus stole the radio and truck he got just that the radio and truck. My peak charger, all the tools and spares, batteries, all were in my dorm room).
Foo
fooman2008 is offline Find More Posts by fooman2008
Old May 10, 2010, 07:41 PM
Burbank, Hansen Dam
Joined Nov 2009
54 Posts
Hello all:

Tom I have a question for you or anyone. I am looking for some brass right of way lights for my springer. Do you know of any online places I could go. I already know of harbor models, loyalhanna dockyard. Please let me know hope all is well with you all.

Thanks
MIKE
(brooklyn)
BROOKLYN is offline Find More Posts by BROOKLYN
Old May 10, 2010, 10:33 PM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
22,861 Posts
Mack Models,
http://www.mackproductsrc.com/index.htm

Model Expo,
http://www.modelexpo-online.com/
Old May 13, 2010, 06:24 PM
Larry
Tujunga
Joined Jan 2009
1,093 Posts
Could not have wished for better weather at the lake today. Sat and took pictures. About 11:30 Richard and Michael pulled in. Two boats on the water, Richard with his Wave Jumper and Michael with his water cooled Villian IV. My Villian remained dry docked for the day. Good day to bird watch...
Prop'er is offline Find More Posts by Prop'er
Last edited by Prop'er; May 13, 2010 at 08:59 PM.
Old May 13, 2010, 06:52 PM
FROM THE MIND OF A MADMAN
Joined Apr 2007
3,242 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prop'er View Post
Could not have wished for better weather at the lake today. Sat and took pictures. About 11:30 Richard and Michael pulled in. Two boats on the water, Richard with his Wave Jumper and Michael with his water cooled Villian IV. My Villian remained dry docked for the day. Good day to bird watch...
Now that sounds like a gea day to spend the day!! I have been staring at a wall and a computer all day.
So where are the pics ??
gpzy is offline Find More Posts by gpzy
Old May 13, 2010, 09:09 PM
The "Foaminator"
Joined Mar 2007
2,100 Posts
Worked my tail off today, sure would have liked to been there too.

High 70's to low 80's in OC and back here in the valley by my car's temp gauge...seemed warmer at times. Nice at the lake?

Mike R
mikeruth is offline Find More Posts by mikeruth
Old May 13, 2010, 10:33 PM
Grumpa Tom
Joined Sep 2003
22,861 Posts
Quote:
I thought this might have been Tom's b-28 but was wronge.
Hmmm.....
Old May 13, 2010, 11:19 PM
Larry
Tujunga
Joined Jan 2009
1,093 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmot View Post
Hmmm.....
LoL!
Old May 14, 2010, 12:45 AM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
13,776 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmot View Post
Hmmm.....
Hard to tell... it kinda has wings...
Aerominded is offline Find More Posts by Aerominded
Old May 14, 2010, 12:10 PM
ir3
Joined Dec 2007
289 Posts
Steam Power

OK, you have been having too much fun and I have been dragging my feet and not getting to the task of putting something new on the pond. I have a Sub Driver Gato which will definitely be out in June. The hull has been prepared and the Sub Driver has been fitted. All that I need now is to set up the workings. I have a side question. Is steam allowed at the pond and if so what kind of fuel can be used.

See you all soon,

IR3
ir3 is offline Find More Posts by ir3
Old May 14, 2010, 03:52 PM
United States, CA, Santa Clarita
Joined Dec 2005
1,228 Posts
Steam is allowed and there is no restriction on fuel, What type of engine and what fuel are you going to bring?

Steve
steveciambrone is offline Find More Posts by steveciambrone
Old May 14, 2010, 04:03 PM
Retired for now
Bonita Springs,Fl.
Joined Sep 2007
8,653 Posts
Jeeeeeeezzzeee!From rock crawlers to Birds. WHERE'S DA BOATS?
norgale is offline Find More Posts by norgale
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: What's a blog for?
Old May 14, 2010, 07:01 PM
Dolores, Colorado
Joined Dec 2007
1,581 Posts
jo, Pete, them boys are going down the drain, no video, no boats, birds and dead fish.
Schrott is offline Find More Posts by Schrott
Old May 15, 2010, 11:33 AM
Larry
Tujunga
Joined Jan 2009
1,093 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schrott View Post
jo, Pete, them boys are going down the drain, no video, no boats, birds and dead fish.
Besides our enjoyment of RC Boating 7 days a week, we also love our wild environment, cloudy to blue skies, clean water, nice varity of birds and fish. We may not post one pictures of a boat on a given day at the lake, but that's not to say we didn't have a few on the water. Maybe we just didn't want to disturb the awesome wild life that makes this lake what it is to us daily.
Keep coming back, we are no where near the drain, maybe we just have something in the shop you will enjoy in the next report...