Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jun 05, 2014, 12:45 PM
Australia
Joined Jun 2014
8 Posts
Help!
NEW HERE! EDF not spinning?? Servos working fine

Hi guys,
I'm new to this forum and also RC Planes.
I bought the Starmax 64mm EDF RTF F-22 Raptor as well as a UBEC from eBay that is not installed yet.

Firstly, i've done the binding and the servos move and everything, but the fan doesn't move when I change the throttle up or down. Instead, after binding, it makes this motor-like sound. I've also tried reversing the throttle on the transmitter (channel 3) with no avail. Also have tried starting up with the throttle all the way up and also all the way down, still nothing works, only that 'motor-like' sound.

Also, any guidance on how to install the UBEC would be nice

What's wrong with the plane? Is it a faulty fan or something? This is my first ever plane and it has never been flown yet, just assembled out of the box and servos connected to the receiver as labelled on each cable. Really appreciate any help as i am eager to make the maiden flight!
Badonkadonk is offline Find More Posts by Badonkadonk
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 05, 2014, 01:23 PM
Guatemala, Guate
Joined Jul 2007
275 Posts
Reads to me that you need to program the throttle calibration into the esc.

Since there are many brands of esc and Ubec start with reading the instrucctions. If you donīt have them google them.

In my esc you turn on TX put throtle stick to high, and then turn on model connect lipo and wait for sounds. Then disconect lipo and model, put throtle stick to down and turn on again model and connect model. If your model has throttle protection you need move throtle to high until motor beebs and then down and ready to fly.

Hope this works
juanjulian is offline Find More Posts by juanjulian
Old Jun 05, 2014, 02:59 PM
Australia
Joined Jun 2014
8 Posts
Hi Juan! Thanks for your reply!
The same thing happens when i try your instructions. After i completed it and increase the throttle, this mechanical sound, the same 'motor' sound described above occurs again. Could a screw be loose or something causing it to make this sound? The EDF fan still does not spin at all btw
Old Jun 05, 2014, 06:55 PM
Canada, ON, Burlington
Joined Jan 2009
2,872 Posts
Can you see the motor turning?
4stripes is offline Find More Posts by 4stripes
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Some photos of the EDF fleet!
Old Jun 05, 2014, 11:01 PM
Australia
Joined Jun 2014
8 Posts
Hi 4stripes,
Unfortunately, no i do not visually see the motor turning, nothing moves, but its a sound like 'clonk clonk clonk clonk' as if its about to start or something? Im not entirely sure what its supposed to sound like when starting-up as i said, this is my first ever plane :/
Thanks for all your help guys, really appreciate the replies
Old Jun 05, 2014, 11:08 PM
Australia
Joined Jun 2014
8 Posts
The seller I bought it off an eBay had this to say:
"Hi,
Sometimes, you do need to touch other parts for pre fly testing.
If it is simply a loose screw that cause the blades loose from the motor shaft, then you may need to tight up the screw.
I only assume that's the problem, not 100% if it is wrong connection or something else."

What loose screw may he be referring to? Sorry if im a nuisance haha just want to get this baby up in the air!
Old Jun 06, 2014, 01:29 AM
Canada, ON, Burlington
Joined Jan 2009
2,872 Posts
It sounds to me like one of the three motor wires has pulled apart or has a bad connection.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 06, 2014, 01:53 AM
Australia
Joined Jun 2014
8 Posts
So do you suggest pulling the wires out of the receiver connector and try to reconnect it?
Old Jun 06, 2014, 06:25 AM
Canada, ON, Burlington
Joined Jan 2009
2,872 Posts
No, I'm referring to the large wires that feed the motor from the ESC. You are going to have to access your speed control which may require some surgery if there is no access panel.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 06, 2014, 07:09 AM
Da' Cajun
Lake Charles, Louisiana
Joined Jun 2009
2,864 Posts
Quote:
Hi guys,
I'm new to this forum and also RC Planes......................This is my first ever plane............Really appreciate any help as i am eager to make the maiden flight!
I hope you appreciate this kind of help.
Put this plane aside for a few months, buy a trainer plane and get some local help learning how to fly.
You will enjoy this hobby much more.

At this point your maiden flight will only last seconds and destroy a good airplane.
Boogie_ is offline Find More Posts by Boogie_
Old Jun 06, 2014, 07:19 AM
High Dynamic Thrust
United States, FL, Mt Dora
Joined Feb 2007
2,266 Posts
I wanna see before and after pics please !! ))
stoneenforcer is offline Find More Posts by stoneenforcer
Old Jun 06, 2014, 09:25 AM
Australia
Joined Jun 2014
8 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4stripes View Post
No, I'm referring to the large wires that feed the motor from the ESC. You are going to have to access your speed control which may require some surgery if there is no access panel.
ahaha thanks for your help everyone!! Turns out, the turbine blade was for some reason glued heavily onto the outer cylinder of the edf fan O_O
only found this out when i took your advice to access the esc. The glue was on the inner side of the plane so i couldnt see it at first even when i shone a torch through to see if there were any obstructions!
WELL GOOD NEWS! IT WORKS!!

Now i just have to install the UBEC.
To my understanding, you're supposed to connect the red and black wires of the UBEC to the red and black wires of the battery? and if the ESC has a built-in BEC, you cut the red wire from the ESC receiver wires.

My question is, how do i know if my ESC has a built-in BEC? And does every battery have their own individual UBEC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogie_ View Post
I hope you appreciate this kind of help.
Put this plane aside for a few months, buy a trainer plane and get some local help learning how to fly.
You will enjoy this hobby much more.

At this point your maiden flight will only last seconds and destroy a good airplane.
Thanks for the suggestion Boogie, i've been using simulators lately and am wanting to try the actual thing now haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneenforcer View Post
I wanna see before and after pics please !! ))
As in before and after i crashed pics?? hahaha
Last edited by Badonkadonk; Jun 06, 2014 at 09:31 AM.
Old Jun 06, 2014, 01:15 PM
Canada, ON, Burlington
Joined Jan 2009
2,872 Posts
If your plane was RTF, the ESC would have a built in BEC. I wouldn't bother with a separate BEC for a 64mm EDF. Just use it the way it comes. If you must use the separate BEC then just remove the red wire on the connector going to the receiver. Yes, just solder the BEC red wire to the ESC red wire and black to black. Usually simple enough to do right on the ESC battery connector then cover with heat shrink.

As mentioned by Boogie, any EDf is not a good first plane, and you will end up breaking it up badly. Get some help at your local club with an instructor if you really want to succeed in this hobby.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 06, 2014, 06:09 PM
High Dynamic Thrust
United States, FL, Mt Dora
Joined Feb 2007
2,266 Posts
pics!!!!!
stoneenforcer is offline Find More Posts by stoneenforcer
Old Jun 06, 2014, 07:42 PM
Da' Cajun
Lake Charles, Louisiana
Joined Jun 2009
2,864 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion Boogie, i've been using simulators lately and am wanting to try the actual thing now haha
Simulators would give you a slim chance if you were attempting your first flights with a very docile trainer.

Do you have any one that can video the maiden for us?
Boogie_ is offline Find More Posts by Boogie_