HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 27, 2012, 12:52 PM
United States, OH, Amesville
Joined Nov 2012
149 Posts
Literally shot down in flames !

Quote:
Originally Posted by balsa or carbon View Post
It won't be long until you're the Ace , Dan ! Just practice flying when you can !

There are guys who actually do combat with cheap foamies , either trying to knock streamers off or actual plane to plane contact .
I had already been thinking about Laser Tag... Use small batteries to run the laser so that it's like having limited ammunition. A plane that is hit could cut throttle or something. People who really into realism could have it actuate a smoke bomb or an M-80
Dan_D is offline Find More Posts by Dan_D
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 27, 2012, 02:15 PM
Hot glue held together by foam
United States, WA, Vancouver
Joined Aug 2010
2,443 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_D View Post
I had already been thinking about Laser Tag... Use small batteries to run the laser so that it's like having limited ammunition. A plane that is hit could cut throttle or something. People who really into realism could have it actuate a smoke bomb or an M-80
You can get laser tag RC planes . When hit , your motor is disabled for a few seconds . These seem to be toy grade , not hobby grade , though .

http://www.hobbytron.com/2LaserTagRC...Airplanes.html

Another fun RC activity is FPV ( first person view ) , where there's a small camera on the plane that transmits the image to video goggles that you're wearing , so you're flying the plane as if you are in the cockpit . You can even get head tracking - if you move your head to the left or right , up or down , the camera on the plane moves accordingly . slim1357 has an FPV system , I've tried his - lot's of fun !

And another fun one that we do is fly at night with LED lights on the plane - with radio controlled flashing patterns , etc. We almost always have people come up to us and tell us they thought they were seeing UFO's ! And flying at night is nice if the wind usually dies down after dark where you live .

Here's some guys who put on a show with their night flyers in Singapore .

Night Flyers (Singapore Night Flyers, Clarke Quay) (3 min 2 sec)
balsa or carbon is offline Find More Posts by balsa or carbon
Old Nov 27, 2012, 04:20 PM
Joined Nov 2012
149 Posts
Quote:
Another fun RC activity is FPV ( first person view ) , where there's a small camera on the plane that transmits the image to video goggles that you're wearing , so you're flying the plane as if you are in the cockpit . You can even get head tracking - if you move your head to the left or right , up or down , the camera on the plane moves accordingly.
Thats actually one of my goals, although I have been thinking about this with a quad copter. There is a reason.

I am assistant chief of a rural volunteer fire department. We get a lot of field, brush, and forest fires during the late fall when the grasses are dry, the leaves are down, etc. Field and brush fires can be dangerous because I might have 5 crews spread over many acres without good visual contact with all of them. The nightmare scenario is having a crew on the wrong side of a hill and have a fire encircle them.

I have thought that a quad copter with simplified flying controls (basically UP, DOWN, FORWARD, BACK, and TURN) with FPV would be very useful. This wouldn't be for "fun flying", so I wouldn't mind handing off most of the flying to an onboard computer/gyro/accelerometer/gps system... I want to be able to hop up 200 feet and look around and see where my guys are, where the fire edges are, and which way the fire is running.

Of course, this sort of thing could also be handy for first-in exploration of a haz-mat situation. We had a report once of a burning tractor-trailer loaded with 14 tons of dynamite. We went in and discovered that the fire had not spread beyond the breaks and tire yet... but I sure would have loved to have been able to send in a remote eye first...
Old Nov 27, 2012, 04:49 PM
Joined Aug 2010
2,443 Posts
Quote:
Thats actually one of my goals, although I have been thinking about this with a quad copter. There is a reason.

I am assistant chief of a rural volunteer fire department. We get a lot of field, brush, and forest fires during the late fall when the grasses are dry, the leaves are down, etc. Field and brush fires can be dangerous because I might have 5 crews spread over many acres without good visual contact with all of them. The nightmare scenario is having a crew on the wrong side of a hill and have a fire encircle them.

I have thought that a quad copter with simplified flying controls (basically UP, DOWN, FORWARD, BACK, and TURN) with FPV would be very useful. This wouldn't be for "fun flying", so I wouldn't mind handing off most of the flying to an onboard computer/gyro/accelerometer/gps system... I want to be able to hop up 200 feet and look around and see where my guys are, where the fire edges are, and which way the fire is running.

Of course, this sort of thing could also be handy for first-in exploration of a haz-mat situation. We had a report once of a burning tractor-trailer loaded with 14 tons of dynamite. We went in and discovered that the fire had not spread beyond the breaks and tire yet... but I sure would have loved to have been able to send in a remote eye first...

There are a number of multirotors available that would work for that . The least expensive ones are the most difficult to fly because they need the most pilot input . The more expensive ones are easier to fly . Besides the stabilization , auto leveling , heading and altitude hold , you can get a system that brings the copter back to you ( by pulling the right stick back towards you ) no matter which direction the " front " of it is pointing . Also , if signal is lost it hovers in place until signal is regained , and if it doesn't get the signal back within a minute , it flies itself back to the spot it took off from and lands itself . But those are many thousands of dollars .
Old Nov 27, 2012, 08:15 PM
United States, WA, Moses Lake
Joined Feb 2012
415 Posts
Dan I bought a 9x radio with cheap receivers when I decided to destroy many cheap planes as opposed to a few expensive planes. Anyhow I didn't know how to work the radio and still mostly don't but I can help you set the elevons and expo and dual rates if you need. I found one kid on you tube that knew how to do it the other guys had it wrong.

Expo is nice too cause you can soften the stick so things don't happen quite so quick. I totaled a small pusher jet I built because of that. It took off like a dove and in the first turn instead of banking it rolled like a drill bit about thirteen thousand times and nosed in about mach 2. After I did that I figured out the dual rates and expo stuff. When you set the dual rates to say 50% those top corner toggle switches are dual rate aileron on the right and dual rate elevator on the left. The radio won't turn on unless all the switches are up and back. Once you are flying flip those switches down and that cuts your travel rates down in half get it? Play with it hook up your battery with the prop off is the way I do it and play with the dual rates you can see them work.

Good score on the radio. I'm happy enough with mine. Oh you want the cheap hk six channel fly sky compatible receivers here to go with your radio http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...er_6Ch_V2.html
Low and Slow is online now Find More Posts by Low and Slow
Old Nov 28, 2012, 01:35 AM
Joined Nov 2012
149 Posts
Quote:
And another fun one that we do is fly at night with LED lights on the plane - with radio controlled flashing patterns , etc. We almost always have people come up to us and tell us they thought they were seeing UFO's ! And flying at night is nice if the wind usually dies down after dark where you live.
That video is soooooo pretty... the planes are so agile, and delicate. I watched it a few dozen times, and then the Missus wanted to see what I was watching.

Okay, you guys may have done it ! She was fascinated... the first planes flitted across the screen... "What was that?" "There's another one... what is it?" By the end of the video she asked "Are you going to try one of those?"

WOW... not only permission... she's bought in !!!!

Still have to learn not to crash with NEKKID SUE... But we'll get there.

Ad Astra
Old Nov 28, 2012, 08:27 AM
Morristown,NJ
Joined Oct 2003
161 Posts
Dan

Great read.

You may be interested in a "trainer one", http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=383687
which sorta looks like a cub, or many of "GPW"'s simple designs.

There may be a "trainer two" around also, which uses more recent motors & batteries.
moyg is offline Find More Posts by moyg
Last edited by moyg; Nov 28, 2012 at 08:30 AM. Reason: add "2"
Old Nov 28, 2012, 10:45 AM
Joined Aug 2010
2,443 Posts
Quote:
That video is soooooo pretty... the planes are so agile, and delicate. I watched it a few dozen times, and then the Missus wanted to see what I was watching.

Okay, you guys may have done it ! She was fascinated... the first planes flitted across the screen... "What was that?" "There's another one... what is it?" By the end of the video she asked "Are you going to try one of those?"

WOW... not only permission... she's bought in !!!!

Still have to learn not to crash with NEKKID SUE... But we'll get there.

Ad Astra
So there may be " his and hers " night flyers in your future , eh ?

On warm summer nights my flying buddies and I will fly our LED night flyers at the neighborhood park , and people will show up with lawn chairs just to sit and watch them fly . Like you said , soooo pretty! And my wife will even come out and watch !

The planes in that video are actually made of carbon fiber rod and ripstop kite material - pretty tough ! You can buy them here http://www.goflykite.com/ ( $$$$ ) or you can make them yourself , a number of people here on RCG have done that .

When you used the word delicate , I thought of these planes ( and you know how I love to post videos! ) . Not RC , but SOOOO fascinating !

INDOOR FLYING / FAI F1D Aeromodelismo indoor F1D 室内飛行機 (6 min 58 sec)

At the competitions for these planes , applause is not allowed because it stirs up too much turbulence !

Al
Old Nov 28, 2012, 01:48 PM
Joined Nov 2012
149 Posts
Quote:
When you used the word delicate , I thought of these planes ( and you know how I love to post videos! ) . Not RC , but SOOOO fascinating !
Al
Well that field is safe from me... I don't have a lot of dexterity for fine work. I find small parts challenging. Small parts like the lug nuts on my tires.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 02:33 PM
Joined Aug 2010
2,443 Posts
Quote:
Well that field is safe from me... I don't have a lot of dexterity for fine work. I find small parts challenging. Small parts like the lug nuts on my tires.
That makes two of us . When I first got back into RC 2 1/2 years ago I made a few micros , but all that really small , delicate stuff drove me nutz ! Moved on to making larger , $Tree foam planes - doesn't make me TOO crazy !

Here is one of the first successful micros I made - flew at a walking pace !

Homemade micro rc slowflyer (3 min 49 sec)

By the way , there's a plane available called the Night Vapor . It comes with lights installed ( for night flying ) , and is SUPER stable and slow flying ( walking pace ) . Nice for cruising around your yard when it's calm out .

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...dphUlcjFC6CtUw
Old Nov 28, 2012, 04:02 PM
Joined Nov 2012
149 Posts
Well, at least it didn't catch fire...

Yup...

So I had a half hour free. I decided to sneak out and fly the NEKKID SUE. Here is a picture of her wearing her new name... and Dog is my co-pilot.

Flight 1 of the day...

Test balance, test glide, test control surfaces... this is going to be glorious !!! Run it up to 60% throttle and give it the ol' heave ho... it's up, it's banking, I hit rudder... no, wait, I'm turning down the throttle !!! AIEEEE... I hit the throttle up, I try doing rudder at the same time... I SUCK... she's going down... *THUD* *WHAP WHAP CRUNCH*

WHAP WHAP CRUNCH ??? That's a new noise.

I go over to poor crashed SUE, and she's SMOKING. She's not old enough to smoke !!!

If you remember my last flight logs, you will remember I had problem with the battery peeling off of the foam board. It did it again. As far as I can reconstruct, the battery peeled off and flopped around. Now, if you remember my description above... the last thing I did before crunching was UP THROTTLE and hit rudder at the same time. Yes, she was at max throttle when she hit... so the propeller had a few good whacks at the LiPo... and cut it open like a very expensive can of beans. And it was gently smoking when I got there.

Now, in a way it would have been a spectacular end to the pain of poor NEKKID SUE if she had burned up in a blaze of glory. It would have been a great tale, too. But I just grabbed the battery off, set it way aside, and took poor SUE back to the Aviation Repair Facility...

I supposed there isn't much one can do with a munched LiPo ???

I'm beginning to think you guys should delete this thread, ban my IP address, and make sure I never come near the forums again. At this rate, I'm going to discourage new people.

Ad Astra ??
Old Nov 28, 2012, 07:21 PM
Joined Aug 2010
2,443 Posts
Quote:
Yup...

So I had a half hour free. I decided to sneak out and fly the NEKKID SUE. Here is a picture of her wearing her new name... and Dog is my co-pilot.

Flight 1 of the day...

Test balance, test glide, test control surfaces... this is going to be glorious !!! Run it up to 60% throttle and give it the ol' heave ho... it's up, it's banking, I hit rudder... no, wait, I'm turning down the throttle !!! AIEEEE... I hit the throttle up, I try doing rudder at the same time... I SUCK... she's going down... *THUD* *WHAP WHAP CRUNCH*

WHAP WHAP CRUNCH ??? That's a new noise.

I go over to poor crashed SUE, and she's SMOKING. She's not old enough to smoke !!!

If you remember my last flight logs, you will remember I had problem with the battery peeling off of the foam board. It did it again. As far as I can reconstruct, the battery peeled off and flopped around. Now, if you remember my description above... the last thing I did before crunching was UP THROTTLE and hit rudder at the same time. Yes, she was at max throttle when she hit... so the propeller had a few good whacks at the LiPo... and cut it open like a very expensive can of beans. And it was gently smoking when I got there.

Now, in a way it would have been a spectacular end to the pain of poor NEKKID SUE if she had burned up in a blaze of glory. It would have been a great tale, too. But I just grabbed the battery off, set it way aside, and took poor SUE back to the Aviation Repair Facility...

I supposed there isn't much one can do with a munched LiPo ???

I'm beginning to think you guys should delete this thread, ban my IP address, and make sure I never come near the forums again. At this rate, I'm going to discourage new people.

Ad Astra ??
Hey Dan ! I'm going to STRONGLY recommend ( again ) that you plug that rudder servo into your aileron channel so you can just FLY poor NEKKID SUE ! Get some flying in , and then when you get a RTEA plane work rudder on the left stick into the mix . That's the route I've taken ( and MANY , MANY other people ) , and it's worked out fine for me .

And put that lipo in a bucket of salt water overnight , and then toss it . Do it right away before it burns your house down ! NOT kidding !

Al
Old Nov 28, 2012, 07:35 PM
United States, WA, Moses Lake
Joined Feb 2012
415 Posts
What do you have left for parts Dan? Seems like you might need some. And a new plane. I like those slow lit up planes in the video I might try to build myself something like that real floaty and slow. Cause I suck at flying too. If I try to fly at night it better be real slow. Those lights sure look cool though.

Since you need a new battery anyway maybe you might think about a smaller 2cell battery and lighter motor and esc setup.And build a lighter plane that fly's slower. Takes a little longer to crash that way. Since you are in total rebuild mode anyway why don't you build yourself a lite up at night plane

You do the same thing I do with that throttle rudder thing. Next time plug the rudder servo into the aileron channel and turn on the right stick and let the left stick just be the throttle. I don't know why but its just a lot easier for me.
Low and Slow is online now Find More Posts by Low and Slow
Old Nov 28, 2012, 09:04 PM
Joined Nov 2012
149 Posts
Batteries, parts, air sharks...

Al - thanks for the concern about the battery. It never made it back into the house - it's currently sitting on an all brick BBQ ... so if it does burn it won't do too much.

Only one of the three cells got sliced. I'm planning on a little exploratory surgery to see what I can discover. If nothing else, I read that there are useful titanium sheets between the cells. Maybe I can convert the 3C to a 2C ... I know this idea will probably give people the willies as they seem very cautious about the LiPo's.

Low and Slow - I'm actually doing pretty good on electronics... Yes, I've sliced the motor wires, twice... I've sliced the ESC control line plug line... I've pulled the ground to the ESC off... but thanks to a nice Weller soldering iron and heat shrink I've been able to put it all back together. I suspect fixing the battery is a bit beyond me though.

However, I have been thinking of modularizing things to the point where the motor, the ESC, the RCVR and the battery are all easily interchangeable... Until I get into demanding planes* it looks like I can get away with cheap servos, so that means installing 3 - 5 servos per plane at $5 to $9 bucks a servo... meaning I can leave them until it's time to send that plane to the bone yard.

One thing I think I need is more time on the simulator. UNFORTUNATELY... the sim controller I bought on eBay ("like new") turned out not to be a good deal. It has a lot of electrical noise and the plane gets sudden random commands. I learned that by setting the sim to "calibrate controller" and watched the input values hopping around like those jumping beans I used to buy at Woolworths. NO wonder I was having so much difficulty with the sim. I've ordered a cable to connect from my xmtr to the USB port... but it's coming from China and might not get here for a while.

I think maybe I need to find somebody who knows how to fly closer than a 4 hour drive... I have seen a thread "Finding an instructor". I had been thinking "Oh, I can do this on my own." Real life is kicking that ego in the kiester..

However, I haven't given up. I'm still plottin' and plannin', and still building on the Gentle Lady.

Vida Astra

* "Until I get into demanding planes" ??? Who am I kidding ? I SUCK. I probably can't even fly an air shark balloon... yet...
Old Nov 28, 2012, 11:14 PM
Joined Nov 2012
149 Posts
Quote:
So there may be " his and hers " night flyers in your future , eh ?

On warm summer nights my flying buddies and I will fly our LED night flyers at the neighborhood park , and people will show up with lawn chairs just to sit and watch them fly . Like you said , soooo pretty! And my wife will even come out and watch !
Al
I showed the video to the Missus again, and suggested to her that if we got a pair we could do choreographed flying... turning and swooping in unison... like when we were young and would Viennese Waltz in full Ball Gown and Suit (I looked funny in the ball gown).

She liked the romance of the image... and then smiled and said

It would help if you could actually fly one of these things.

OUCH

OUCH OUCH OUCH OUCH

She's right, yanno...