HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 09, 2012, 07:47 PM
Keep calm and carry on.
United States, VA, Falls Church
Joined Jan 2012
1,352 Posts
Discussion
DC Area FPV

A thread for DC (and mid Atlantic) area FPV fliers. Would like to connect local fliers for general chat or meet-ups.

Jump in and introduce yourself. Would be cool to find some new sites and guys to fly with.
Oso M is offline Find More Posts by Oso M
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 11, 2012, 12:52 PM
Keep calm and carry on.
Joined Jan 2012
1,352 Posts
...really? I can't be the only guy...!
Last edited by Oso M; Sep 11, 2012 at 01:18 PM.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 01:19 PM
United States, MD, Solomons
Joined Feb 2002
1,940 Posts
Nope you aren't the only one, Kyle here. I live and fly down in Southern MD, Pax River area. I'm always looking for some new open areas to fly. With the Navy base and multiple small airports here sites where i can fly high and far are limited. I'm on a 900mhz system with a ZII and Skywalker planes. It's hit or miss down here, sometimes it get clear reception for miles, other days i can't fly 20 ft without getting clobbered.
gromitvt10 is online now Find More Posts by gromitvt10
Old Sep 11, 2012, 07:59 PM
United States, VA, Luray
Joined Feb 2004
142 Posts
Hello i live in Luray with lots of open space to fly but i havent flown fpv yet so idk how good of reception ill get.I dont think it will b any problems since there is nothing out here lol.Im in the middle of biulding me a fpv rig tho.So ill find out soon.I have my own runway in my field behind my house.And ive been flying for many years so i cant wait to try out fpv.
banks is offline Find More Posts by banks
Old Sep 11, 2012, 09:15 PM
Joined Feb 2002
1,940 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by banks View Post
Hello i live in Luray with lots of open space to fly but i havent flown fpv yet so idk how good of reception ill get.I dont think it will b any problems since there is nothing out here lol.Im in the middle of biulding me a fpv rig tho.So ill find out soon.I have my own runway in my field behind my house.And ive been flying for many years so i cant wait to try out fpv.
I'm jealous, I'd love to have my own flying field!!
Old Sep 11, 2012, 09:29 PM
United States, VA, Luray
Joined Feb 2004
142 Posts
It is nice lol
Old Sep 12, 2012, 11:48 AM
Keep calm and carry on.
Joined Jan 2012
1,352 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gromitvt10 View Post
Nope you aren't the only one, Kyle here. I live and fly down in Southern MD, Pax River area. I'm always looking for some new open areas to fly. With the Navy base and multiple small airports here sites where i can fly high and far are limited. I'm on a 900mhz system with a ZII and Skywalker planes. It's hit or miss down here, sometimes it get clear reception for miles, other days i can't fly 20 ft without getting clobbered.
I can imagine that the Pax river area is pretty noisy. I seem to live right on a Marine 1 practice flight path - one of those white tops flies over every day. When it does I lose everything from HDTV reception to 2.4Ghz.

I just built an X8 with a Dragonlink UHF TX/RX and 900mhz for telemetry data. Trying to pick a new video system for it. I think 1.2mhz at a 1000mW.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 11:50 AM
Keep calm and carry on.
Joined Jan 2012
1,352 Posts
Quote:
I bet that's awesome. I live inside the beltway - so I'm looking for spots out west.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 08:38 PM
United States, VA, Luray
Joined Feb 2004
142 Posts
i have 900mhz stuff.Come on out lol
Old Sep 12, 2012, 09:07 PM
Joined Feb 2002
1,940 Posts
Its about a 3 hour drive for me but i may make the trip some day:-) Maybe pay a visit to the caverns while i'm there.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 08:28 AM
Keep calm and carry on.
Joined Jan 2012
1,352 Posts
Where abouts is your field, banks?
Old Sep 13, 2012, 08:57 AM
United States, VA, Luray
Joined Feb 2004
142 Posts
Behind my house.It's just a little bigger then a football field.The part that I own anyway.But it is fields all around me.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 09:18 AM
Keep calm and carry on.
Joined Jan 2012
1,352 Posts
Quote:
Behind my house.It's just a little bigger then a football field.The part that I own anyway.But it is fields all around me.
Cool - want to PM me the location? just wanted to know how far of a drive for me and then check it out on google maps.

By the way, I'm Dave - nice talking with you.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 09:24 AM
United States, VA, Luray
Joined Feb 2004
142 Posts
I use to work in falls church and u could be out here in under 2hrs on a weekend.I'll pm ya my add tho so u can check out the area.When u look at it on Google maps its the field behind my house with a small tree line and pretty much all open fields around.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 09:42 AM
Joined Feb 2002
1,940 Posts
Quote:
I use to work in falls church and u could be out here in under 2hrs on a weekend.I'll pm ya my add tho so u can check out the area.When u look at it on Google maps its the field behind my house with a small tree line and pretty much all open fields around.
Hey shoot me that addy also