HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by billpa, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Yesterday, 09:50 PM
Rick
United States, CA, Santa Clara
Joined Mar 2011
1,907 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tejx5 View Post
My Artizan flies great with the Guardian, except after several 3D maneuvers when I return to 2D it wants to go down instead of level. I have noticed the battery does slip back about 3/4 of an inch. I thought the Guardian would still hold level...
I have 5 planes with the guardian installed and this is the only one that wants to go down....I will try to lock the battery better tomorrow.

TJ
Certainly try locking down the battery. I can't say with any certainty that this is what's happening but another possibility occurs to me.

In normal operation the gyros provide virtually instant and accurate feedback to the control algorithms about rotations on each axis. But they don't know which way is down and they tend to drift. The accelerometer data is averaged out over a longer period to keep track of down and to correct gyro drift. It can, however, lose track of down during a sustained period of aerobatics. Then switching to 2D results in an off-level attitude. When this happens, ET says continued flying in 2D or otherwise level for a while will self correct the problem.

You could have a gyro in that unit that drifts more rapidly than average and makes it worse. There is a feature in the new beta software to re-zero the gyros which might correct this. If you are interested in pursuing it, load software 10.65 or later, update to firmware 1.24 or later, reset the gyros, be sure to restore all settings (you can use the save and restore for this I believe). If it solves the problem, great. If not, you are out only a little time and you can decide if you want to switch back to your current version.

Remember, as always, this rather speculative advice is worth at least 10 times what you paid for it.
choochoo22 is offline Find More Posts by choochoo22
to remove ads between posts
Old Yesterday, 09:52 PM
Rick
United States, CA, Santa Clara
Joined Mar 2011
1,907 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpatrick View Post
I guess I missed the part about stirring the sticks.

I'd never done that. ...
Although it works, I never do that either. To me it seems more positive to just switch the mode to 3D to lock the attitude.
choochoo22 is offline Find More Posts by choochoo22
Old Today, 07:32 AM
United States, TX, Missouri City
Joined Jan 2014
28 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by choochoo22 View Post
Certainly try locking down the battery. I can't say with any certainty that this is what's happening but another possibility occurs to me.

In normal operation the gyros provide virtually instant and accurate feedback to the control algorithms about rotations on each axis. But they don't know which way is down and they tend to drift. The accelerometer data is averaged out over a longer period to keep track of down and to correct gyro drift. It can, however, lose track of down during a sustained period of aerobatics. Then switching to 2D results in an off-level attitude. When this happens, ET says continued flying in 2D or otherwise level for a while will self correct the problem.

You could have a gyro in that unit that drifts more rapidly than average and makes it worse. There is a feature in the new beta software to re-zero the gyros which might correct this. If you are interested in pursuing it, load software 10.65 or later, update to firmware 1.24 or later, reset the gyros, be sure to restore all settings (you can use the save and restore for this I believe). If it solves the problem, great. If not, you are out only a little time and you can decide if you want to switch back to your current version.

Remember, as always, this rather speculative advice is worth at least 10 times what you paid for it.
I have the new software loaded in one Guardian. Hopefully this weekend I can load the others too. thanks
tejx5 is online now Find More Posts by tejx5