HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 30, 2012, 03:36 PM
Should've, Would've, Could've
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,528 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SU-4ever View Post
Looks as if it had gone rolling nose-tail-nose-tail-nose-tail until complete annihilation...

Yet the wings seem pretty intact!
Incredible.
lol! Classic!

I dont know how he saved the wing & rudders...baffled?
v8truckin is online now Find More Posts by v8truckin
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 30, 2012, 04:37 PM
Flying Hazard
Spain
Joined May 2006
2,598 Posts
Maybe some alien razors suddenly appeared in midair and dissected the airplane for good.
SU-4ever is offline Find More Posts by SU-4ever
Old Sep 30, 2012, 04:44 PM
Avon,IN
Joined Dec 2007
33 Posts
I crashed my SU-35 a couple of months ago and have put the spare parts up for sale in the classified section if anyone is interested.
tsever00 is offline Find More Posts by tsever00
Old Sep 30, 2012, 06:09 PM
Munich
Joined Dec 2008
1,097 Posts
Break point at the nose

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTAnimal View Post
the point i was getting at was, it seems this plane always breaks in the same spot, just in front of the canopy.
I think you have a point. You may want to take a look at the SebArt MiG-29 design. It is also manufactured by Freewing. And here they fixed the problem that the Freewing Su-34 also had when it had to belly land: Digging in the nose and breaking it off. As the MiG is designed to land on skids all the time, that problem would probably be there, too.

The fix is done for the SebArt by including two medium length carbon fibre rods on both sides of the battery compartment, all along the cockpit. I still had it break there once, but not as violently as would have been expected from my Su-34 and Su-35 experiences. Maybe the fix can be transferred to the Su-35.

Cheers,
Henrik
hklagges is offline Find More Posts by hklagges
Old Sep 30, 2012, 06:13 PM
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,528 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hklagges View Post
I think you have a point. You may want to take a look at the SebArt MiG-29 design. It is also manufactured by Freewing. And here they fixed the problem that the Freewing Su-34 also had when it had to belly land: Digging in the nose and breaking it off. As the MiG is designed to land on skids all the time, that problem would probably be there, too.

The fix is done for the SebArt by including two medium length carbon fibre rods on both sides of the battery compartment, all along the cockpit. I still had it break there once, but not as violently as would have been expected from my Su-34 and Su-35 experiences. Maybe the fix can be transferred to the Su-35.

Cheers,
Henrik
hk,

when i did my last repair i thought i noticed carbon fiber strips on both side of the nose are. Almost positive.
Old Oct 01, 2012, 05:42 AM
Flying Hazard
Spain
Joined May 2006
2,598 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hklagges View Post
The Su-35 already has this implemented, saw it the other day repairing.

It features 2 flat CF rods along the sides of the battery tray and a bit forward, just as V8 says.

Don't think this is to prevent the nose breaking but rather to stiffen it a bit and avoid flexing in-flight.
SU-4ever is offline Find More Posts by SU-4ever
Old Oct 01, 2012, 11:53 AM
Munich
Joined Dec 2008
1,097 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SU-4ever View Post
It features 2 flat CF rods along the sides of the battery tray and a bit forward, just as V8 says.
Oh - sorry. I thought my posting was about something new !

Cheers,
Henrik
hklagges is offline Find More Posts by hklagges
Old Oct 01, 2012, 01:27 PM
United States, CA, Lake Forest
Joined Nov 2010
565 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarreraGTSCS View Post
What's your set up? Is it stock? It really gains altitude quickly.

I like the way you can see the vector nozzles at work in your other video. Notice the swirl pattern of the runway dust at 59 seconds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZ67noglJCg
100% stock
Wargassm is offline Find More Posts by Wargassm
Old Oct 01, 2012, 01:28 PM
United States, CA, Lake Forest
Joined Nov 2010
565 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by My fliight View Post
Wow with all that traffic your airport needs a tower The hawk behind you couldn't even wait for your vortecs to disapate. I know mid-airs happen alot ha?
rarely they happen.

One happens maybe every six months.
Wargassm is offline Find More Posts by Wargassm
Old Oct 01, 2012, 04:58 PM
Joined Aug 2012
130 Posts
One thing you guys have taught me is anything can be repaired if you want to I have seen some crashed up planes come back to life on this thread.
JTAnimal is offline Find More Posts by JTAnimal
Old Oct 02, 2012, 06:57 PM
United States, NV, Fernley
Joined Oct 2011
1,927 Posts
Today I had my 35 in the hanger for service prior to the Big Vegas event next week. I was surprised at a few items needing immediate attention. The right elevator horn was loose then found similar on all the control surfaces. This may be due to temperature change since the last time I flew it. Temps then where 98-105 deg F Now 80-90 deg F. So the foam may have been expanded more at higher temps. CA'd the horns for backup. Checked out the hinges and found the right rudder had two broken ones. The left also? So replaced with Dubro pin hinges. Found cracks at the foam supporting the nose gear. Had to CA then reinforce with 6 oz Glass cloth and epoxy inside the bat compartment and wheel well. Found the left TV servo to be faulty and the L+R TV center servo also. Replaced with Hitec. The right TV nozzle is becoming loose inside the gimbal? no apparent damage?

Boy! this thing is more of a hanger queen than the full size I flew. I hope it will last the Aces event without falling apart. Anyhow, still one of the best flying birds around. I do suggest that regular inspections are required for this model every couple of flights.
acesimmer is offline Find More Posts by acesimmer
Old Oct 02, 2012, 07:26 PM
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,528 Posts
Ya my control horns kept loosening so I also CA'd em. Just like the FFA you need to mandate maintenance or "bye bye Su".
Old Oct 02, 2012, 08:16 PM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Nov 2006
10,410 Posts
Yeah, I found that on a few planes.... control horns. Usually fine if bolted well, but still a good idea to add a drop off CA under, and around the horn side so that it is actually affixed to the surface and not truly relying on just 'clamping' (cos foam compresses).

My Lateral (rudder) TV servo is flakey now, sigh.
I have some $3 HobbyKing servos in planes that have never played up ever... so far. What kinds do half these planes come with?? $1.20 servos!! LOL
PeterVRC is offline Find More Posts by PeterVRC
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 03, 2012, 12:05 PM
Joined Aug 2012
130 Posts
I want to upgrade my SU35 motors and fans. are there any on line shops in the US that carry a good selection of fans and motors? or do i need to use one of the China sites?
JTAnimal is offline Find More Posts by JTAnimal
Old Oct 03, 2012, 02:08 PM
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,528 Posts
Parkrcmodels.com

Edfhobbies.com

Toysonics.com

All great places for motors selection, fast shipping, and never had a problem.