Closed Thread
Old Oct 13, 2012, 10:22 AM
Ain't crashing often anymore
Germany, Berlin
Joined Jun 2012
3,175 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by navycookie View Post
Ok new to the thread and currently deployed in the middle east. I love the dh 9116 but the other day when I got to take off with it , it starts to rotate. I give it more throttle , it straightens out then I rotate it again and it spins 360 five or six times. I rotate left it turns nicely, rotate right it spins. Then it rotates to the right nicely. I'm thinking it has to be the tranmitter but kinda new at troubleshooting little helis instead of P-3 orion, any help would be nice. Thanks
Can you do some footage of it? Would help a lot to determine the failure.
Have a close look for debris in gears/axis of rear motor.
Check cables running from PCB to rear motor - maybe some slack joint or defective insulation causing shortage due to vibrations.
Check functionability of gyro - throtttle the bird slightly up, keep it in the hand and rotate it CW and CCW - does the rear prop counteract?
Try to recalibrate gyro with rebind on a flat surface.

So you can fly this bird on the maintenance deck of a carrier? Lots of space and no wind?
You're a lucky man
-mike-
mikefromgermany is online now Find More Posts by mikefromgermany
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 13, 2012, 10:53 AM
United States, NJ
Joined Sep 2012
37 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSpool View Post
Good morning everyone. I read a thread some where about a motor by Blade that can be used as a upgrade for the 9116. Extreme pro 180a. Can anyone give me some information about this motor. Had my 9116 for about three months, been flying really great. A few days ago flight time went from about six min to one min. After about one min it start to lose altitude, not crash, just slowly set down. I have two stock battery (650 mah). swaped old battery with new one , still same problem. Could the brushed motor be burned out ? If so I would like to go with a more power upgrade. And where do I buy one?Also a 900mah battery ?

After about one min it start to lose altitude, not crash, just slowly set down.

In my experience its the motors almost without a doubt. This has happened to me several times with the most recent one just this week.(10-12-12) As I have a brand new 1300 mah/30c battery installed I knew it was the motor. If you look into the vent holes you'll notice that 1 brush is almost completely gone. I use hat style magnifier with a light to check the brush status. With 3x daily flights I get 2 weeks out of a motor which is why I'm going with the xtreme pro 180A. This motor allows for easy brush replacement & @ $1.25 a pop its worth the investment(at least for me) You can find the carbon model here: http://bit.ly/ToCN3J This brush set offers a little less torque but 30% more run time. They also sell the silver models which don't last as long. BTW you get 2 pair for $2.70 which is a steal.
ironhorse99 is offline Find More Posts by ironhorse99
Old Oct 13, 2012, 12:04 PM
Germany, Berlin
Joined Jun 2012
3,175 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironhorse99 View Post

After about one min it start to lose altitude, not crash, just slowly set down.

In my experience its the motors almost without a doubt. This has happened to me several times with the most recent one just this week.(10-12-12) As I have a brand new 1300 mah/30c battery installed I knew it was the motor. If you look into the vent holes you'll notice that 1 brush is almost completely gone. I use hat style magnifier with a light to check the brush status. With 3x daily flights I get 2 weeks out of a motor which is why I'm going with the xtreme pro 180A. This motor allows for easy brush replacement & @ $1.25 a pop its worth the investment(at least for me) You can find the carbon model here: http://bit.ly/ToCN3J This brush set offers a little less torque but 30% more run time. They also sell the silver models which don't last as long. BTW you get 2 pair for $2.70 which is a steal.
Yes, it's the motor worn out.
replacement of stock is 3.87$ shipped if you buy three at banggood.
When replacing the stock with a xtreme pro 180A you also have to change the tail motor. Stock can't hold the upgrade. It's been reported that you can use the MJX F45 tail-motor plug and play.

If you'll like it or not - your decision - I would stay with stock anyway.
-mike-
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 13, 2012, 06:00 PM
Joined Oct 2012
5 Posts
No , I'm not attached to a ship, I work on the electronics of P-3C Orion(too big to land on a ship, actually too big/slow to take off from a ship.) We are deployed in the middle east , the sand here is like dust, it doesn't come off with an air compressor, you have to wipe everything down. I inspected the wires running from the tail rotor-pcb , no cracks. I did notice a good amount of dirt inside the tail motor, I don't have anything that small to reach it, I'll try blowing it out again. this is probably nothing but I tried binding the dh9116 with my wl v911 transmitter , everything works except the tail rotor. Thanks for the advice.
navycookie is offline Find More Posts by navycookie
Old Oct 13, 2012, 09:23 PM
Germany, Berlin
Joined Jun 2012
3,175 Posts
Quote:
No , I'm not attached to a ship, I work on the electronics of P-3C Orion(too big to land on a ship, actually too big/slow to take off from a ship.) We are deployed in the middle east , the sand here is like dust, it doesn't come off with an air compressor, you have to wipe everything down. I inspected the wires running from the tail rotor-pcb , no cracks. I did notice a good amount of dirt inside the tail motor, I don't have anything that small to reach it, I'll try blowing it out again. this is probably nothing but I tried binding the dh9116 with my wl v911 transmitter , everything works except the tail rotor. Thanks for the advice.
So only 2 options left - worn out tail motor or defective PCB resp. Gyro on it.
How many flights do you have with the bird already?
-mike-
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 14, 2012, 05:27 AM
Blue Skies
United States, VA, Williamsburg
Joined May 2012
1,099 Posts
Binding 9116 to V911 transmitter

Quote:
this is probably nothing but I tried binding the dh9116 with my wl v911 transmitter , everything works except the tail rotor. Thanks for the advice.
You can go the other way, binding a V911 to your DH 9116's transmitter. That's because the transmitter can be programmed to reverse the aileron and rudder servos on the 9116 transmitter for the V911. But your V911 transmitter is hard-wired for your V911's servos. Maybe you know my nephew, also deployed in a P3 squardron? Will send you a PM.
Don
hifinsword is online now Find More Posts by hifinsword
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 14, 2012, 07:07 AM
Joined Oct 2012
5 Posts
Mike I have at least 30 flights on it. Found a small brush and cleaned out the tail motor but it was way too windy to test today . Maybe tonight ill report my findings
Thanks again
Old Oct 14, 2012, 07:12 AM
Joined Oct 2012
6 Posts
hello everyone

My first post on this forum and boy do I need someones help

Got a 2nd hand (fatal error) 9116 mode 2 from ebay

Man whom I bought it from says hovers fine but needs some tuning but he cannot workout the digital controller and adjustments .

When I power up the heli it seems stable give it some more throttle and she lifts off and immediately starts spinning anti clockwise no trim or rudder control from the sticks will stop her doing this , I have checked tail rotor which spins faster nose right and slower nose left

I used the setup posted previously on here ensuring the previous owner had not set up the controls incorrectly

There is a small dent on the tail boom but the boom looks straight

I cannot fathom what is amiss and as I am relatively inexperienced when it comes to the heli's I dont know if it is something integrally wrong and I should go ahed and try and fix it or do I buy a brand new 9116 and keep this one for spares or do I buy a completely different chopper and cut my losses

i would aprreciate any advice or help

Appreciate you reading .........
STEWARTYBOY is offline Find More Posts by STEWARTYBOY
Old Oct 14, 2012, 10:16 AM
Micro Menace
Joined Aug 2012
491 Posts
Xtreme 180 Pro main motor

Just a quick heads-up to those of you looking to upgrade the main motor. I received my new PCB yesterday and was able to install it along with a new tail motor and an Xtreme Pro 180 main motor. I trimmed the main blades a bit in an attempt to increase the head rpm as I understand this motor likes that. Still have to test with the stock blades, but with the shorter blades everything seems fine. Tail holds no problem. Once the blades are spinning I can punch it and it goes straight up, no rotation at all. I'm currently using the stock 650mah li-ion battery, but once I have it all squared away I'll be getting a 1000mah 25c lipo for it.
Budasac is online now Find More Posts by Budasac
Last edited by Budasac; Oct 14, 2012 at 03:04 PM.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 06:28 PM
Joined Oct 2012
5 Posts
Ok deep-cleaned the heli. just took the cleaned heli out. the minute I throttle it up it rotates to the left about 2 - 3 times. Once it is up it flys ok , but the minute I give it throttle it rotates really fast to the left. Also it rotates half that speed to the right. You guys think this is the tail rotor?
Old Oct 14, 2012, 11:20 PM
Too Old To Die:
United States, TX, Call
Joined Mar 2012
64 Posts
Pictures

Hi guy's i need a little help. This may sound a little dumb. But I'm totally computer illiterate. i did a custom paint job On my 9116 canopy. I want to post it but don't know how. The picture is in my yahoo mail. What do i have to do to put it on the forum? Please help, thanks.
OldSpool is offline Find More Posts by OldSpool
Last edited by OldSpool; Oct 16, 2012 at 06:59 AM. Reason: spelling
Old Oct 15, 2012, 01:05 AM
Canada, BC, New Westminster
Joined Feb 2012
188 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSpool View Post
Hi guy's i need a little help. This may sound a little dumb. But I'm totally computer illiterate. i did a custom paint job On my 9116 canopy. I want to post it but don't know how. The picture is in my yahoo mail. What do i have to do to put it on the fourem.? Please help, thanks.
Go to your Yahoo mail and find the picture. Save the picture you want to show us somewhere on your computer (I.e. like on your desktop).

Now proceed to post your reply and you should see an icon that looks like a paper clip. Press the "paper clip" icon and you should get a screen that allows you to choose a file to attach to your reply post.

Click "choose file" and proceed to select the photo that you want to show us. If you saved the photo on your desktop then you will need to go to the desktop and select the photo to share with us.

Hope that helps you!

Mike
Mdigiovabc is offline Find More Posts by Mdigiovabc
Old Oct 15, 2012, 01:40 AM
Canada, BC, New Westminster
Joined Feb 2012
188 Posts
Quote:
Ok deep-cleaned the heli. just took the cleaned heli out. the minute I throttle it up it rotates to the left about 2 - 3 times. Once it is up it flys ok , but the minute I give it throttle it rotates really fast to the left. Also it rotates half that speed to the right. You guys think this is the tail rotor?
It sounds like its the tail motor is weak. Have you tried holding the heli in your hand and apply some throttle (about 30 percent). Be careful when you do this. Now rotate the body of the heli CCW - the tail motor should speed up in order to counteract the rotation of the body in a CCw direction. If you rotate the body in a CW direction the tail motor should slow down.

Mike
Mdigiovabc is offline Find More Posts by Mdigiovabc
Old Oct 15, 2012, 05:43 AM
Battery Powered==(*)==
Mesquite, Nevada
Joined Jan 2002
450 Posts
I am having trouble saving the throttle curve setting on the radio. I press sel to select %50 then press menu to save and it doesn't save the setting. All the other settings will save ok. Stock radio but I am using it on a wl v911 heli.
tomcor is offline Find More Posts by tomcor
Old Oct 15, 2012, 06:04 AM
Joined Oct 2012
6 Posts
After reading my original post i may have got the details slightly wrong with regard to my left spinning 9116

With throttle at approx 30% the tail rotor speeds up when heli body rotated CCW and slows down when rotated CW so that seems to be in order , all other linkages seem intact with no visible sign of anything broken

Can anyone suggest what I should try next to diagnose the fault in my Heli

any feedback would be much appreciated

Thanks

Stewart
STEWARTYBOY is offline Find More Posts by STEWARTYBOY
Closed Thread