USA, KY, Hebron
Joined Dec 2005
2,730 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
Turnerm,

<snip>

HF,

Usually, I am reasonably good with details. However, I did not measure the current because I don't have a convenient way of doing that on these UM aircraft. I wonder if Dylan has measured the current. Maybe someone on his thread has done so: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1405120

Joel

Joel
Thanks, I PM'd him shortly after posting my question to you earlier. I will post here whatever I hear back from him, if he has some data.
habitforming is offline Find More Posts by habitforming
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 06, 2012, 12:28 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Well crap. I noticed today that my tail boom seemed crooked and I tried to straighten in but I couldn't get it resolved. So I started looking closer and sure enough - right near where it goes into the frame it's cracked.

This was the very reason I sold my first mCPx. I can NOT seem to quit breaking these dang things! I'll order a replacement.

BUT... I seemed to make some decent progress in my flying today. I flew in idle up with a milder pitch curve and it seemed to help. I only got out of control once and it's because I lost orientation.

Being as I fly a lot of fixed wing 3D, I usually use my rudder to turn A LOT!! So it's hard for me to get used to do everything with the right stick and only using the left stick to get the tail behind me.

That and I keep trying to slow down by moving the left stick down. Again... I have to remember that the right stick does all of this now!!
turnerm is online now Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Jan 06, 2012, 12:36 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2011
1,425 Posts
I've found the solid tail booms to be pretty durable.
kokopelli is offline Find More Posts by kokopelli
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jan 06, 2012, 12:37 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokopelli View Post
I've found the solid tail booms to be pretty durable.
Which ones in particular? If I'm going to buy a replacement maybe I should get one of the ones you're using.
Old Jan 06, 2012, 12:40 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2011
1,425 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
Which ones in particular? If I'm going to buy a replacement maybe I should get one of the ones you're using.
I use the solid 140mm (stock length is 125mm) booms from Dylan (Asteroid Designs). I haven't broken one yet. I also use his delrin single tail motor mount. I just wrap the wires neatly along the outside of the boom. They're more than long enough. Just be careful when cutting/cracking the motor and wires out of the original broken stock boom. It's pretty easy to do, but those wires are mighty thin.
Old Jan 06, 2012, 01:41 PM
Joined Mar 2007
107 Posts
I don't mean to take business away from Dylwad since he is such a great supporter of us mcpx fliers, but you can also make your own booms from 2mm solid carbon rod. I cut mine to length with a dremel and then grind down a flat spot with the flat side of the cut-off wheel. It's very easy to do and takes only a few minutes to make including setup time. You can probably get 2mm carbon rod for pretty cheap from your LHS and make yourself a bunch like I did. Booms seem to be the weak spot for my heli now, so this was a great help for me.
StangGuy is offline Find More Posts by StangGuy
Old Jan 06, 2012, 01:55 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StangGuy View Post
I don't mean to take business away from Dylwad since he is such a great supporter of us mcpx fliers, but you can also make your own booms from 2mm solid carbon rod. I cut mine to length with a dremel and then grind down a flat spot with the flat side of the cut-off wheel. It's very easy to do and takes only a few minutes to make including setup time. You can probably get 2mm carbon rod for pretty cheap from your LHS and make yourself a bunch like I did. Booms seem to be the weak spot for my heli now, so this was a great help for me.
That's a good idea. I think I actually even have some carbon fiber rod laying around. Not sure if it's 2mm or not but if it's not, that's pretty cheap stuff to get. I also got a dremel for Christmas so it sounds like I have what I need!

But explain to me again exactly how you used the dremel to flatten out the end that goes into the frame??
Old Jan 06, 2012, 02:17 PM
fernie bc canada
Joined Dec 2009
508 Posts
does anyone actually like these KBDD main blades ?

The tail blades are by FAR better but I find the main KBDD have more drag and don't really perform that well ... that's just my findings
joliecoeur13 is online now Find More Posts by joliecoeur13
Old Jan 06, 2012, 02:18 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2011
1,425 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StangGuy View Post
I don't mean to take business away from Dylwad since he is such a great supporter of us mcpx fliers
Then don't... He IS a great asset here. And, I was specifically asked WHICH booms I used. I'm sure most people already know you can buy carbon rod stock and cut/grind their own. It's just whether they want to do it or not. Capisce?
Old Jan 06, 2012, 02:19 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2011
1,425 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
But explain to me again exactly how you used the dremel to flatten out the end that goes into the frame??
You might be better off using a small file and doing it by hand. It only takes a minute or two, anyway. Dremels remove stuff quickly, if you're not careful!
Old Jan 06, 2012, 02:31 PM
Joined Dec 2011
23 Posts
I have noticed that my mCP X has slight movement between blade grips. Is this normal or should I tighten it?
punisher96 is offline Find More Posts by punisher96
Old Jan 06, 2012, 02:34 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2011
1,425 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by punisher96 View Post
I have noticed that my mCP X has slight movement between blade grips. Is this normal or should I tighten it?
Are you talking about being able to push/pull on the blade grips and them having a little linear play along the feathering spindle axis? While I can't say your feathering spindle screw doesn't need tightening, some play in the grips is normal. The play is there immediately after I reassemble the head and locktite/snug up the feathering spindle screw.
Old Jan 06, 2012, 02:38 PM
Joined Dec 2011
23 Posts
Yes thats what I meant.
punisher96 is offline Find More Posts by punisher96
Old Jan 06, 2012, 02:54 PM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
USA, KY, Hebron
Joined Dec 2005
2,730 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by joliecoeur13 View Post
does anyone actually like these KBDD main blades ?

The tail blades are by FAR better but I find the main KBDD have more drag and don't really perform that well ... that's just my findings
just curious about your experience with the tail blades - is it FAR better in relation to the original tail blade, or the V2 (shiny) tail blade?
habitforming is offline Find More Posts by habitforming
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 06, 2012, 03:00 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2011
1,425 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by habitforming View Post
just curious about your experience with the tail blades - is it FAR better in relation to the original tail blade, or the V2 (shiny) tail blade?
I found it performs pretty much the same as the V2 blade. Both are a lot better than the old mSR style V1 blade. I just like the KBDDs because the neon yellow really stands out in flight.

And, for the other question about the KBDD mains, I like them well enough, but would be happy flying the KBDDs or the stock non-bullet blades since they're so similar. I never bothered to put the stock blades back on and, as above, the yellow rotor disk is very visible on this tiny heli that gets away quickly!