Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Nov 14, 2012, 01:06 AM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,303 Posts
yea hmm id prob go with the 3d..i got mine for 140..but spent 60 to get her running good... New OWB then had to get the sleeve, upgraded a few alum parts. new main and tail gear.. so on and so forth..but shes running good now.
Eastcoast78 is offline Find More Posts by Eastcoast78
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 14, 2012, 11:10 AM
Which way is up?
Michigan, USA
Joined Mar 2008
686 Posts
OWB? Not sure what that means??? lol Well I bought one! Should be here early next week. Funny though, I am not even going to attempt to fly it untill I complete my training with the 120 SR. So, it will be sitting and waiting for a while. But it will make one hell of a beautiful holiday center piece!!!
stuball56 is offline Find More Posts by stuball56
Old Nov 14, 2012, 11:12 AM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,303 Posts
hah cool, OWB is one way bearing..sorry!! Yea she'll look great with the ham and turkey!! ;0)
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 14, 2012, 02:42 PM
Staffs, UK
Joined Apr 2009
3,500 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuball56 View Post
OWB? Not sure what that means??? lol Well I bought one! Should be here early next week. Funny though, I am not even going to attempt to fly it untill I complete my training with the 120 SR. So, it will be sitting and waiting for a while. But it will make one hell of a beautiful holiday center piece!!!
I've never flown the 120SR, other than on the sim, but the 450 is a completely different beast in comparison. Not sure how completing your training will help (not saying it won't either BTW) but I would use a sim (Pheonix is good as it has the 450 on it) and suggest training gear on the 450 and to just practise your hovering until you're comfortable to move on. Took me ages TBH to get past hovering.

Anyway, the 450 hovering looks waaaay cooler than the 120 flying (just my opinion.....no offense intended...)

Have fun anyway...
feefo is offline Find More Posts by feefo
Old Nov 14, 2012, 03:01 PM
United States, CA, Palos Verdes Peninsula
Joined Dec 2011
1,031 Posts
Quote:
Here's one piece of advice from someone who trained with a fixed pitch heli (120SR, MSR, etc.) for a collective pitch one - practice using the throttle hold switch to kill the motor vs bringing the throttle stick all the way down. I don't know how many times I've accelerated my crashes into the ground by pulling the throttle stick down. It's a hard muscle memory to break yourself away from when switching to CP helis, especially when you're in a jam and have to react without thinking about it.

I might even go as far as setting the throttle curve on the 120 SR to have zero or close to zero throttle until the stick position is halfway up so you get a feel for the stick position on a CP heli for upright flight. It may even train you to anticipate the heli falling out of the sky if you fall below that position. I just might do this myself - have quit flying my FP helis to prevent reintroducing that muscle memory-that and a CP heli is a lot more fun to fly anyways.
Jboy90277 is offline Find More Posts by Jboy90277
Old Nov 14, 2012, 03:41 PM
United States, FL, Hernando
Joined Sep 2012
1,460 Posts
I'll throw my .02 in here, I have both (120sr and B4503D) and these are worlds apart. When you get the 450 running and try to go up you will crap your pants,although I agree with all the above advise, however, I got better at the controls through having a larger FP , the head speed on the 450 is crazy compared to the 120 and is sure to catch you off guard. The throttle setting idea is great, tho you wont be able to auto-rotate because of the FP.

As for the sim, its a good tool, but not anything close to reality, if I had to do it over again I would have stuck with the free sim and not spent more money on the one I got.

I got antsy when I got my 450 and didnt wait to get better and I crashed it 5 times before it even left the ground, THAT gets expensive real fast. I dropped back and got a MJX F45 and then a FC V1 (now a V2) and am doing much better on the 450.

Like I said , just my .02 , its all part of the hobby and the learning curve.
War Horse is offline Find More Posts by War Horse
Old Nov 14, 2012, 04:47 PM
Which way is up?
Michigan, USA
Joined Mar 2008
686 Posts
Wow, you guys got me scared now!!!
Old Nov 14, 2012, 04:57 PM
Staffs, UK
Joined Apr 2009
3,500 Posts
It's easy enough to turn the pitch down to make it tamer. I actually didn't use a Idle up setting for ages, and got to be honest and say it probabaly saved me a few crashes too. 1st proper crash was because my brain forgot I was in idle up and I simply went to lower the stick, which gave me too much neg pitch and crashed into tarmac....lesson learnt.

Headspeed is crazy, which makes it fun TBH and makes it feel like a proper bit of kit.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 05:01 PM
United States, FL, Hernando
Joined Sep 2012
1,460 Posts
Quote:
No, didnt mean to do that..... just take it VERY slow, you'll be fine in time
War Horse is offline Find More Posts by War Horse
Old Nov 14, 2012, 05:03 PM
Staffs, UK
Joined Apr 2009
3,500 Posts
Quote:
Don't be.....

Forget what the 120SR flies like, the 450 is just too different.

Tame your pitch and headspeed (just a little), you won't need as much neg pitch at 1st, it's just too much for a beginner. Then just practise hovering. Don't be in a rush to 'fly' it. It'll come and it's rewarding when it does.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 09:35 PM
Which way is up?
Michigan, USA
Joined Mar 2008
686 Posts
would you guys recommend the training gear for this heli? I was watching some Youtube and saw a few videos with it on. Some said it may make the heli unstable?
Old Nov 14, 2012, 09:52 PM
Joined Sep 2012
392 Posts
Definitely go training gears. If anything, they make the heli more stable and sluggish, which is a good thing when you're starting out. Cutting the power generally means you can land ok, since the gear also have a pretty big cushionning effect. Take them off when you feel they slow you down and you're confident landing it gently.
Znybar is offline Find More Posts by Znybar
Old Nov 14, 2012, 09:56 PM
Which way is up?
Michigan, USA
Joined Mar 2008
686 Posts
Ok, thanks. It's weird that Amain carries every training gear but the one for the 450 3D. So I found one on Ebay.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 10:00 PM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,303 Posts
do what i did... adjust your Pitch to 40 50 60 80100 makes her a lot more manageable.. also give your slef around 15-20% expo
remember ive only had 3 flights lol and its not to bad...i do use the futaba401 gyro, not sure what the stock one is like as my friend swaped it up

with your Pitch starting at 40 she wont snap to the ground as like it was first at 25

just don't do into Idle up...;0) you could always disable it anyway...
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 14, 2012, 10:50 PM
Which way is up?
Michigan, USA
Joined Mar 2008
686 Posts
After reading this thread, and watching alot of videos I have come to the conclusion that I am nuts! But, I just HAVE to have a "big" heli. Yes, the 450 is big to me. HUGE in fact, lol. So that is why I have used the shoot first ask questions later approach to getting into flying planes and heli's. Not the most efficient or cheapest route for sure. Here is something else crazy; I bought a Nano CPX and it was too fast, too hard, couldnt fly it. So, what do I do? Sell the Nano and buy a 450
Note: I also did buy a MCPX 2, and a MCPX Tandem, and a 120 SR, so my "plan" is at least to get good with those first. Although alot of folks say that the 120 SR is not really any preperation for the 450. But at least it will teach me further muscle memory and orientation. I HAVE to get used to using Throttle Cut.