Old Jan 22, 2016, 01:57 PM
Find More Posts by canyon
Joined Feb 2009
350 Posts
Discussion
bind plugs

sorry nigel won't do it again, just trying to learn
canyon is offline Find More Posts by canyon
Last edited by canyon; Jan 22, 2016 at 08:21 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 22, 2016, 02:00 PM
Find More Posts by solentlife
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia, Ventspils pilsēta, Ventspils
Joined Jan 2010
12,616 Posts
Not good idea to multiple post on same forum.

Nigel
solentlife is online now Find More Posts by solentlife
Old Jan 22, 2016, 02:31 PM
Find More Posts by vollrathd
Joined Jan 2007
2,702 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by canyon View Post
Ijust bought a new piper pawnee from E-flite and it comes with a bind plug, also bought a new spectrum AR400 receiver and it comes with a bind plug. Can someone educate me on these things? I noticed you can't bind a plane without them. Do they stay in the receiver once binding has occurred?

Thanks
Don't know where else you posted this question.

If you read the Spektrum manual, it tells you to plug in the binding plug to bind this specific model to a model programmed into your transmitter. Once binding is complete, remove the binding plug.

Do note that the transmitter should be located 10 feet or more from the receiver when the transmitter is turned on while in the binding command.

For another model, be sure to program in a second model in your transmitter, and repeat the binding process for the second model.

For me, I store the binding plug in the battery compartment of the transmitter.
vollrathd is online now Find More Posts by vollrathd
Old Jan 22, 2016, 02:33 PM
Find More Posts by solentlife
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia, Ventspils pilsēta, Ventspils
Joined Jan 2010
12,616 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vollrathd View Post
Don't know where else you posted this question.
He posted it here also :

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2587658

Nigel
solentlife is online now Find More Posts by solentlife
Old Jan 22, 2016, 06:37 PM
Find More Posts by Mr_SMO
United Kingdom, England, Suffk
Joined Apr 2015
59 Posts
My understanding of bind plugs is that they short the +ve and -ve terminals, and in doing so, it's telling the rx to 'listen' out for a tx with the bind button pushed in. Once it's heard it, then it locks on to that code, and only responds to that tx.
You can make a bind plug from an old servo connection, and connect the -ve and +ve wires together. This is what I've read elsewhere on these blogs.
Mr_SMO is offline Find More Posts by Mr_SMO
Old Jan 22, 2016, 06:56 PM
Joined Jan 2007
2,702 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_SMO View Post
My understanding of bind plugs is that they short the +ve and -ve terminals, and in doing so, it's telling the rx to 'listen' out for a tx with the bind button pushed in. Once it's heard it, then it locks on to that code, and only responds to that tx.
You can make a bind plug from an old servo connection, and connect the -ve and +ve wires together. This is what I've read elsewhere on these blogs.
Just to verify, the bind plug shorts out the two outside pins of the receiver binding connector.
Last edited by vollrathd; Jan 22, 2016 at 09:21 PM.
Old Jan 22, 2016, 08:18 PM
Joined Feb 2009
350 Posts
Thanks guys I appreciate the help, and sorry Nigel, I'm new to electric stuff and trying to learn. Here's another problem I have, the Ar 400 has a short wire coming out the top, and a second out the upper right side that is maybe six inches long, it has a piece of heat shrink tubing about an inch or two back. Is the one on the upper right the antennae? I'm having problems with no throttle response. Tail section works fine, but nothing as far as the throttle goes. On the esc two wires go to the battery, a third which I suppose is the throttle connection I plugged into the throttle port on the receiver, but no throttle. What am I doing wrong, I checked my solder joints with my volt meter and it was fine. Sure will appreciate more help. Thanks a lot folks.
Old Jan 22, 2016, 08:32 PM
Joined Jan 2007
2,702 Posts
Quote:
Thanks guys I appreciate the help, and sorry Nigel, I'm new to electric stuff and trying to learn. Here's another problem I have, the Ar 400 has a short wire coming out the top, and a second out the upper right side that is maybe six inches long, it has a piece of heat shrink tubing about an inch or two back. Is the one on the upper right the antennae? I'm having problems with no throttle response. Tail section works fine, but nothing as far as the throttle goes. On the esc two wires go to the battery, a third which I suppose is the throttle connection I plugged into the throttle port on the receiver, but no throttle. What am I doing wrong, I checked my solder joints with my volt meter and it was fine. Sure will appreciate more help. Thanks a lot folks.
Which ESC mfg, and how many cells on your LiPo battery pack?

Do you have the motor hooked up to the ESC. Just checking If so, there should be some sort of beeping from the motor when the ESC is powered up. FYI, do this sort of testing with the propeller removed from the motor. Even an accidental start up of a "little" motor with a little prop can send you to the emergency room.

The two wires coming out of the receiver are the receiver antennas. Only the last 1 1/3 inches of the longer antenna is effective. The rest of that longer antenna has a shield around it. This allows locating the second antenna a few inches away from the short antenna, just in case during flight the short antenna gets behind the battery pack or other item that blocks the 2.4 Ghz signal.
Old Jan 22, 2016, 08:47 PM
KC
Find More Posts by KC
KC
Registered Loiterer.
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Sep 2006
4,537 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_SMO View Post
This is mostly correct. The text (above) in bold is incorrect.

The bind plug shorts the ground pin and the signal pin (the two outer pins), NOT the positive pin (center pin). You do not want to short the +ve and the -ve pins. If you do, you will usually end up with a dead RX and/or ESC.

Quote:
Make sure you have the ESC connector to the RX (throttle) is inserted in the correct way. You may have connected it upside down.
KC is offline Find More Posts by KC
Old Jan 22, 2016, 10:09 PM
Joined Feb 2009
350 Posts
The motor is hooked up to the esc and receiver, I tested all the connections and they have power going through them. There's no prop on the motor, so that's not an issue. The esc is an E-flite 20 Amp brushless ESC with dual BEC and Advanced programming. Reciever is a spectrum AR 400 as my transmitter is a spectrum DX6I. There is two wires coming out of the esc , and one that I assume is the throttle center set of three wires with a receiver servo type plug. I plugged that into the throttle port on the receiver. Elevator and the rudder both work fine, but, the throttle does not.
Old Jan 23, 2016, 06:21 AM
Find More Posts by Ron van Sommeren
homo ludens modellisticus
Netherlands, GE, Nijmegen
Joined Feb 2001
12,828 Posts
Quote:
... I'm new to electric stuff and trying to learn. ...
Some reading and tips for rainy/windy days. Will save you, and us , a lot of questions.
Will also prevent you from burning up several controllers and/or motors and/or battery:
E-RC primer(s) and tools

Prettig weekend Ron
Ron van Sommeren is offline Find More Posts by Ron van Sommeren
Old Jan 23, 2016, 04:46 PM
Find More Posts by Mr_SMO
United Kingdom, England, Suffk
Joined Apr 2015
59 Posts
Thanks every one for correcting my error. I shall be more vigilant in checking in future.
At least I had roughly the right concept.
Mr_SMO is offline Find More Posts by Mr_SMO
Old Jan 24, 2016, 04:05 AM
Find More Posts by ggcrandall1
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Aug 2005
7,758 Posts
Quote:
Thanks guys I appreciate the help, and sorry Nigel, I'm new to electric stuff and trying to learn. Here's another problem I have, the Ar400 has a short wire coming out the top, and a second out the upper right side that is maybe six inches long, it has a piece of heat shrink tubing about an inch or two back. Is the one on the upper right the antennae?

Both are antennas. When installed in the plane they should be positioned at right angles to each other if possible.

I'm having problems with no throttle response. Tail section works fine, but nothing as far as the throttle goes. On the esc two wires go to the battery, a third which I suppose is the throttle connection I plugged into the throttle port on the receiver, but no throttle. What am I doing wrong,

On some ESC's you must have the throttle trim on the transmitter all the way down before the ESC will arm the motor. On others you have to move the throttle to full and back to off to arm the motor. Have you tried both of those?

I checked my solder joints with my volt meter and it was fine. Sure will appreciate more help. Thanks a lot folks.
It always helps when you include links to the equipment you have. It cuts down on the speculation when everyone knows exactly what you are working with.

Glen
ggcrandall1 is offline Find More Posts by ggcrandall1