Old Dec 24, 2015, 09:36 PM
Find More Posts by B_Honeydew
Joined Dec 2014
4 Posts
Build Log
First Scratch Build - 1:20 Art of Kinetik Hedonist - modern wood motor yacht

Hello everyone,

Sorry - brief intro. This is my first attempt at building a boat, much less a scratch-built one. I have built lots of planes before and a few scratch builds, so I am hoping that some of that know-how will carryover to boats.
I have been working on the build for several months now, so I am behind on the blog. With work and kids, time at the shipyard is limited, so I spend as much as I can building - not so much blogging. Now with Christmas Eve at hand, and the Admiral commandeering the shipyard for wrapping presents, I am left with a gin-and-tonic and this blog to keep me busy.
The model is a 1:20 scale version of a boat called the "Hedonist Hardtop" built by a Serbian company called "Art of Kinetik". At 1:20, it will be just about 1 meter long. The design is pretty modern, which generally makes it a love it or hate it kinda thing. I am somewhere in the middle - some areas are great (the backwards sloping bow, mahogany planking, teak decking, chine shape and the chrome accents...). Anyway, I like it enough to spend a year or 2 building a model of it. I will do my best to model all of those things, including most of the interior, and I will power it in a similar fashion as the actual boat - with 3 water jets. Not some nice 800hp Rolls Royce jobs but some fairly lousy NQD jets connected to brushless motors. I am also thinking that the outer planking will not be mahogany but probably basswood (!). After checking some mahogany, it just seems to have too open a grain structure at this scale. When I did some test on basswood, it seems to more closely match the finish of the original boat, but that's a fight for another day.

Onto the build:
I hand drew all the drawings, despite having to work with CAD almost everyday at my job. I think I was able to capture the shape with about 11 bulkheads. The shape itself took a lot of forensic investigation of photos, and some educated guess work. Contacting the actual company got me nowhere (not sure if they are still in business or not). I cut the bulkheads from aircraft ply and jigged them up. The rest of the construction is generally basswood. Construction was very similar to the airplanes I have build, so there weren't too many problems there. However, there were some heated discussions between the naval architect (me) and the shipwright (me), both blaming the others lack of skill for the current problems. (This sometimes included some unsavory comments about the others mother... but I digress). Anyway, the problems were minor, and I am just now getting to something that resembles a hull.

Here are some pics/comments:
B_Honeydew is offline Find More Posts by B_Honeydew
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 24, 2015, 09:50 PM
Find More Posts by mariner02
Brought to you by letter Arr!
United States, NC
Joined Sep 2009
251 Posts
Well you're definitely building it right- the hull looks solid and true. Not an easy hull to make either.

Interesting subject...she will be sharp. Kinda reminds me of a Plymouth Prowler without wheels.
mariner02 is offline Find More Posts by mariner02
Old Dec 25, 2015, 07:23 AM
Find More Posts by cartix
Most anything RC
United States, NY, Queens County
Joined Oct 2005
386 Posts
Interesting build, I'll be following.
cartix is offline Find More Posts by cartix
Old Dec 25, 2015, 08:09 AM
Find More Posts by Bill Zebb
Joined Oct 2004
214 Posts
Nice precise work ! Bet it will really fly.
Bill Zebb is offline Find More Posts by Bill Zebb
Old Dec 25, 2015, 02:30 PM
Find More Posts by the goon
boat butcher
Whittier CA.
Joined Oct 2009
2,633 Posts
Lookin' good .

Mark
the goon is offline Find More Posts by the goon
Old Jan 16, 2016, 08:19 PM
Find More Posts by B_Honeydew
Joined Dec 2014
4 Posts
Started work on the interior

Thanks for your comments.

With the basic shape of the hull finished, I started working on the interior. The idea is to rough out the interior, then finish off the outer hull, so I don't beat up a finished hull trying to figure out the interior.

I struggled with where to start the interior, thinking maybe the ceiling first, but as things fell into place, I realized I need to start at the bottom. So I started working on the floor of the cabin.
B_Honeydew is offline Find More Posts by B_Honeydew
Old Jan 16, 2016, 09:26 PM
Find More Posts by Gravman
United States, TX, La Porte
Joined Apr 2007
2,138 Posts
Now that is pretty clever. Nicely done.
Gravman is offline Find More Posts by Gravman
Old Jan 17, 2016, 06:48 PM
Find More Posts by the goon
boat butcher
Whittier CA.