New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 26, 2015, 06:36 PM
Find More Posts by Extremeflyer
United States, CA, Rancho Cucamonga
Joined Feb 2009
154 Posts
Help!
Spektrum set up with four blade rotor head

I am having a serious set up issue . I have a scale bell 429 heli I am trying to set up using a Spektrum beastX AR7300BX fly barless control unit. For those that are familiar with this type of Gyro, The issue I am having is in step (J) teaching the cyclic pitch geometry. As stated in the owners manual at 6 of cyclic pitch the status LED should be blue. I have tried, tried, and tried but to no avail can I get 6 cyclic pitch with a blue light. It's always at about 10 to 9 no matter what I do! I can shorten the linkage rods on the swashplate but then it throws everything else off. I have use the same fly barless control unit in my Trex 500 as well as my trex 700 and have never had any set up nightmares like this. Is this because of the scale mechanics on this particular helicopter? Or is there somebody else that has experienced this same issue, and can offer a solution???
Extremeflyer is offline Find More Posts by Extremeflyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 26, 2015, 07:22 PM
Find More Posts by Keyrigger
Love my scale Whirlybirds
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,732 Posts
You need to give a lot more information than you currently have. What is the model, size, swash plate configuration and make, head, what is the angle of your links to the grips from the swash. Is the head a "Plug n Play" or is it conventional? Normally, there are no tricks to setting these up in a scale helicopter but if your movement of the swash does not move the grips enough to bring the electronics into "seeing" enough movement for what should be 6 degrees, then it will not do so until it is satisfied that it has moved far enough to obtain 6 degrees of blade movement. You might get this because the swash plate ball link diameter might be too small or the ball link on the grip might be too long. Both of those conditions will result in very little motion of the grips from the input to the stick. This is a BeastX you are dealing with, not a Spektrum gyro, so most of the setup is aimed more at 3D helicopters rather than scale so you might need to get the USB adaptor to make the best use of the 7300BX. Hope this helps.

Don
Keyrigger is online now Find More Posts by Keyrigger
Old Jul 26, 2015, 07:45 PM
Joined Feb 2009
154 Posts
Don, This is a Bell 429 700 size scale helicopter from RC Aerodyne. I don't really see anything different about the swashplate than your typical align swashplate. It still has the three ball studs where your rods go. Above that you have your four ball studs that go to your rotorhead arms.
Old Jul 26, 2015, 09:36 PM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,732 Posts
What I have been saying about the setup in that helicopter may make it very hard to use with the BeastX system. You might also think about changing the hole you are using on the servo arm as it might be what is giving you a hard time to get the geometry correct for the amount of movement needed for 6 degrees. You might need to go further out on the arm or use a longer arm to get the ball out far enough to get you the length of travel to get 6 degrees of pitch within what the gyro's algorithms are expecting. Scale setups with non-scale gyros, can be a large learning curve that you need to wrap your head around to get the right setup. Hope this helps.

Don
Old Jul 27, 2015, 02:18 AM
Joined Feb 2009
154 Posts
The main problem that I'm having is, I am getting to much pitch before the blue LED light comes on. My pitch is like 10 while the blue LED light comes on. I have tried switching the ball link to the different positions on the servo arms. But that doesn't seem to work. It's like I have to much throw ?
Old Jul 27, 2015, 11:50 AM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,732 Posts
I'm pretty sure I am on the right track but it most likely is that you need to change the direction you are going with the ball links and that is to go shorter on the arms and shorter on the swash ball lengths. The idea is that the algorithm is looking for a set amount of travel from the middle point of the servo that should net out 6 degrees at the blades. By reducing those travel distances, you should get your 6 degrees required rather than 10. That is why most scale builders tend to stick with Bavarian Demon (Helicommand) and Skookum (there are a few others but those two are the most popular). Neither has you set your pitch up like the BeastX does. You should still get there but it will take some fiddling to get there. Good luck.

Don
Old Jul 27, 2015, 12:56 PM
Find More Posts by getsuyoubi
United States, NY, New York
Joined Sep 2013
601 Posts
Don is right, you need to use different holes in the servo arms; in other words, you have to effectively shorten those arms. Not biggie at all, I had to do this on both my 450 and my 500.
Since you are getting 9-10 degrees instead of the required 6 for the blue light you likely have to move 2 holes in, not just one. You have to get this right, and if 2 holes is either too much or too little you have to change it again.
getsuyoubi is offline Find More Posts by getsuyoubi
Old Jul 27, 2015, 05:30 PM
Joined Feb 2009
154 Posts
Yes, I am going to try shorter servo horns and keep my fingers crossed.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 09:23 PM
Find More Posts by getsuyoubi
United States, NY, New York
Joined Sep 2013
601 Posts
No need to get a cramp in your fingers - it'll work anyway...;-)
getsuyoubi is offline Find More Posts by getsuyoubi
Old Aug 02, 2015, 05:16 PM
Joined Feb 2009
154 Posts
Happy to report that shorter servo arms did the trick. Thanks to all who decided to help.
Old Aug 04, 2015, 10:07 PM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,732 Posts
There you go. Enjoy it and post some pictures.

Don