Old Feb 03, 2016, 10:52 PM
Find More Posts by Sabin
Every pilot has his crash
Canada, BC, Sechelt
Joined May 2008
3,318 Posts
Another night of indoor flying in the bag. A friend of mine picked up a 24" edge after seeing me fly mine. He was supposed to show up tonight, and give the LHS guy a bit of a joust for it (LHS guy doesn't like TH for some reason), and another guy said he'd be getting a superlite "one way or another".

What have I done? Oh wait.. flew the best bleedin' foamies ever made and gave others a taste of TH lunacy. I am such a bad influence.

Next stop for me, personally? Veloxity. I'd go with a 48", but I keep that in the realm of balsa.
Sabin is online now Find More Posts by Sabin
Last edited by Sabin; Feb 03, 2016 at 10:58 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 03, 2016, 11:07 PM
Find More Posts by Bloosee
SoCal fair weather flyer
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2012
4,039 Posts
I had the CY when it was first released, loved it. I pulled the trigger on the MXS-C, for a couple reasons, will probably handle my 3S packs better than the CY and the build in LG. I do low and slow with the CTB so the crazy fast MXS might be a nice complement.
Bloosee is online now Find More Posts by Bloosee
Old Feb 04, 2016, 08:10 AM
Find More Posts by van-c
St. Pete, FL
Joined Feb 2006
327 Posts
Here in west coast Florida, the winds tend to be moderately high during the winter months, although otherwise the weather is fine. This morning, for example, I flew 5 packs in the Edge 540 but had to quit because the wind had gotten to around 12-15 MPH gusting 25 and the plane became too unpredictable to enjoy flying it.

I'm curious how the MXS-C or other TH 32" planes handle wind as compared with the 32" Edge 540. I'd like to take advantage of the sale but am not sure which plane to buy.
van-c is offline Find More Posts by van-c
Old Feb 04, 2016, 08:30 AM
Find More Posts by Bloosee
SoCal fair weather flyer
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2012
4,039 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by van-c View Post
Here in west coast Florida, the winds tend to be moderately high during the winter months, although otherwise the weather is fine. This morning, for example, I flew 5 packs in the Edge 540 but had to quit because the wind had gotten to around 12-15 MPH gusting 25 and the plane became too unpredictable to enjoy flying it.

I'm curious how the MXS-C or other TH 32" planes handle wind as compared with the 32" Edge 540. I'd like to take advantage of the sale but am not sure which plane to buy.
They don't really handle wind well. For me they aren't fun to fly in wind above 5-6mph.
Bloosee is online now Find More Posts by Bloosee
Old Feb 04, 2016, 08:40 AM
Find More Posts by van-c
St. Pete, FL
Joined Feb 2006
327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloosee View Post
They don't really handle wind well. For me they aren't fun to fly in wind above 5-6mph.
I've learned to endure wind up to about 8-10 MPH with the Edge as long as the gust factor is small. Gusting is my biggest wind problem with foam planes.
Old Feb 04, 2016, 08:52 AM
Find More Posts by Tatonka
Buffalos have wings
Vancouver Washington
Joined Nov 2007
2,195 Posts
Flying in wind is a different type of flying for me, I love the calm but in 10 mph wind (more or less) it is fun to just hang in one spot and practice harriers.
Tatonka is online now Find More Posts by Tatonka
Old Feb 04, 2016, 09:24 AM
Find More Posts by bhoov128
Genesis 50:20
United States, FL, Davenport
Joined May 2012
14,314 Posts
Quote:

MXS-C wont be any different. My winds are probably just about like yours, only I get rotors coming off the trees which makes for gust-like performance. Anything over a few mph and it's a bucking bronco which takes away from my concentrating on learning or practicing what I want to adjusting to try to get back to concentrating or learning. Just isn't much fun.

If there's a steady wind out of the east which blows directly down the dirt road behind my house it is fun to fly it 3-4 houses east, put it in a hover and watch it float down the road hovering and torque rolling until it's time to fly back upwind
bhoov128 is online now Find More Posts by bhoov128
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Snice Slick
Old Feb 04, 2016, 09:33 AM
Find More Posts by John63
Vancouver, Canada
Joined Jan 2010
162 Posts
Rolling Circle: I am using the Nano Tech 450 batteries.

Thanks to you all for your suggestions.

John
John63 is offline Find More Posts by John63
Old Feb 04, 2016, 09:38 AM
Find More Posts by van-c
St. Pete, FL
Joined Feb 2006
327 Posts
Maybe I'll just put foamy planes on hold and fly my larger, heavier balsa models at the local club field until after spring when the winds die down a bit.
Old Feb 04, 2016, 12:06 PM
Find More Posts by jasonille
Germany, RP, KL
Joined Aug 2012
507 Posts
Quote:

When the winds are up I fly the Veloxity although lately it seems like that's all I've been flying
jasonille is offline Find More Posts by jasonille
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 04, 2016, 09:08 PM
Find More Posts by ROLLING CIRCLE
TEAM TWISTED
United States, MD, Middle River
Joined Dec 2011
2,334 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by John63 View Post
Rolling Circle: I am using the Nano Tech 450 batteries.

Thanks to you all for your suggestions.

John
Oh, OK, John. Regardless if it's 2S or 3S, almost all of the 32" lineup would work for you running 450 mAh packs.
ROLLING CIRCLE is offline Find More Posts by ROLLING CIRCLE
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 06, 2016, 04:09 PM
Find More Posts by van-c
St. Pete, FL
Joined Feb 2006
327 Posts
I recently replaced the analog servos in my Edge 540 with digital. I also replaced the DSM2 receiver with a FrSky D4R-II. Unbelievable responsiveness improvement overall!

But one unexpected thing is that now the plane tends to pitch up with throttle increase quite a bit more than before on both high and low rates. I checked the cg and it is spot on. I'm using 80% expo on high rates and 60% on low. Still using the same AXI 2204/54 motor, Castle T-bird 9 ESC, 2s nano-tech 460 lipo, and 8x4.3 TH prop as before.

As I noted in a previous post, I have had to contend with gusting wind conditions recently and that may be what the actual problem is. I cannot think of any reason why the servo changes would affect the response to throttle inputs, unless I am inadvertently slightly adjusting pitch with throttle change (not likely). But, still, I wonder if using digital servos may require changing the linkages to reduce the throws a bit.

Any thoughts?
Last edited by van-c; Feb 06, 2016 at 04:20 PM.
Old Feb 06, 2016, 04:20 PM
Find More Posts by HPCR
San Mateo, CA
United States, CA, San Mateo
Joined Dec 2012
1,768 Posts
Quote:
I recently replaced the analog servos in my Edge 540 with digital. I also replaced the DSM2 receiver with a FrSky D4R-II. Unbelievable responsiveness improvement overall!

But one unexpected thing is that now the plane tends to pitch up with throttle increase quite a bit more than before on both high and low rates. I checked the cg and it is spot on. I'm using 80% expo on high rates and 60% on low. Still using the same AXI 2204/54 motor, Castle T-bird 9 ESC, 2s nano-tech 460 lipo, and 8x4.3 TH prop as before.

As I noted in a previous post, I have had to contend with gusting wind conditions recently and that may be what the actual problem is. But I wondered if using digital servos may require changing the linkages to reduce the throws a bit.

Any thoughts?
If you changed your power ( other motor and / or more LIPO power you will increase the pitch-up tendency. Folks tune that out using the prop off-set. Your throw can be adjusted in your TX.. reduce the Travel where you need to and you should be fine.
HPCR is offline Find More Posts by HPCR
Old Feb 06, 2016, 04:52 PM
Find More Posts by van-c
St. Pete, FL
Joined Feb 2006
327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPCR View Post
If you changed your power ( other motor and / or more LIPO power you will increase the pitch-up tendency. Folks tune that out using the prop off-set. Your throw can be adjusted in your TX.. reduce the Travel where you need to and you should be fine.
Yeah, like I said, it's the same motor, ESC, lipo and prop. And I already have adjusted the servo throws in the Tx. However, your comments do remind me of something I did.

I rotated the motor 90 degrees on the motor mount to facilitate re-routing the wiring slightly for the new receiver location. The little AXI motor has only two mounting ears and after rotating it, the mounting ears are now oriented horizontally (see the photo) rather than vertically as before. So now, it is possible that the motor itself is pitching up very slightly due to torque effects since the motor mount is now less effective at preventing this. Maybe I can shim in a bit of down thrust.

Thanks for the suggestions.
Old Feb 06, 2016, 05:29 PM
Find More Posts by HPCR
San Mateo, CA
United States, CA, San Mateo
Joined Dec 2012
1,768 Posts
Quote:
Yeah, like I said, it's the same motor, ESC, lipo and prop. And I already have adjusted the servo throws in the Tx. However, your comments do remind me of something I did.

I rotated the motor 90 degrees on the motor mount to facilitate re-routing the wiring slightly for the new receiver location. The little AXI motor has only two mounting ears and after rotating it, the mounting ears are now oriented horizontally (see the photo) rather than vertically as before. So now, it is possible that the motor itself is pitching up very slightly due to torque effects since the motor mount is now less effective at preventing this. Maybe I can shim in a bit of down thrust.

Thanks for the suggestions.
I bet that is the issue..
Good luck!
HPCR is offline Find More Posts by HPCR