New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 18, 2016, 07:09 PM
Find More Posts by T.A.Z
Obsession, not hobby
United States, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Sep 2013
1,097 Posts
Nice! I saw the PZ Albatross was finally discontinued but HK still has them. Quite a few PZ Albs and SE5as at our park still. I sold my SE5a cause I didn't like the way it flew, even after a PZ 15 motor upgrade. The Peaks looks like a Pitts Python. The Rhapsody sure is a neat lookin bipe! Will it do 3D?
T.A.Z is offline Find More Posts by T.A.Z
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Hacker HotWing 750
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 18, 2016, 08:51 PM
Find More Posts by Clive66
United States, CA, Fontana
Joined May 2011
4,018 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by T.A.Z View Post
Nice! I saw the PZ Albatross was finally discontinued but HK still has them. Quite a few PZ Albs and SE5as at our park still. I sold my SE5a cause I didn't like the way it flew, even after a PZ 15 motor upgrade. The Peaks looks like a Pitts Python. The Rhapsody sure is a neat lookin bipe! Will it do 3D?
No 3D with the Rhapsody, at least not with me at the controls.
I run a Gforce G32 motor on it with a 4 cell 3300 mah battery.
Meter showed 625 watts with s 13 x 6.5 prop.
It has pretty good power, but the plane is a little on the heavy side.
It has a 47 inch wingspan & the all up flying weight is right at 5 pounds.
I'm not very good at 3D, so the Rhapsody works out fine for me as a good flying Sport plane.
I have been practicing at getting better at some 3D stuff with the HyperBype & the T.H. Crack Turbo Beaver.
Clive66 is offline Find More Posts by Clive66
Old Jan 18, 2016, 08:57 PM
Find More Posts by Clive66
United States, CA, Fontana
Joined May 2011
4,018 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seldredge View Post
How does the Albatross fly? I've always liked the looks of that plane.
I don't take the Albatros out much.
It is easy to fly & looks good in the air.
What would one really expect from a Bipe with only 2 ailerons ?
Here is a pic a friend took with his cell phone a while back.
Clive66 is offline Find More Posts by Clive66
Old Jan 28, 2016, 01:16 PM
Find More Posts by T.A.Z
Obsession, not hobby
Joined Sep 2013
1,097 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by T.A.Z View Post
I'm kinda hoping for a PT17 in between the fairly new UMX single cell and the 15e.
Maybe around the size of the Alien Aircraft PT17 but that doesn't have to built and covered.

http://www.alienaircraft.com/k306.htm

http://www.sigmfg.com/cgi-bin/dpsmar..._02MainBody_01

RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 08, 2016, 09:46 PM
Find More Posts by seldredge
United States, CA, La Honda
Joined May 2014
565 Posts
Found an interesting thread about a builder taking a break to do the 15e Stearman ARF and doing a complete makeover in the process.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2567368
seldredge is offline Find More Posts by seldredge
Old Feb 08, 2016, 11:52 PM
Find More Posts by T.A.Z
Obsession, not hobby
Joined Sep 2013
1,097 Posts
Thanks for posting the link.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 15, 2016, 03:10 PM
Find More Posts by SeeMeDo
Lower AL
Joined Feb 2013
1,639 Posts
My Eflite 15e ARF Stearman is one nice flying bi that always pleases when in the rotation.
I used to pucker super tight when flying it but now it provides a smaller dose of Adrenalin but is still fun.
Jeff........
SeeMeDo is offline Find More Posts by SeeMeDo
Old Feb 15, 2016, 03:50 PM
Find More Posts by J Mitchel
United States, OR, Portland
Joined May 2012
391 Posts
I keep straddling the fence on weather to sell mine and move on or not. I have trouble getting it to handle well. 3s 3200 or 4000 mAh and a bunch of weight on the nose and the elevator is super sensitive, the take offs always seem to lift one wing before the others and veer to one side. I don't recall if it is consistently the same side, but I don't think so. So I avoid scale take offs, which I would prefer, and just punch it to get it in the air. Landings, often ground loops.

Would cutting through the firewall inside of the motor box help lighten the plane, allowing me to shift the battery forward and lose the weight?
J Mitchel is offline Find More Posts by J Mitchel
Old Feb 15, 2016, 05:15 PM
Joined May 2014
565 Posts
Definitely demands some flying most of the time. My Stearman has a +2 oz motor over the recommended, and I have about 6-7 oz of weight in the engine/cowl also, and heavier wheels (Dubro low bounce). Took all that to get it to actually balance level (I have two pilots and a gyro bhind the CG to account for). I use a 4000 mAh Glacier 4S. I'm not sure a light plane would fly much different--weight does not seem to be an issue.

First off, I use a gyro, which helps it track straighter on takeoff, but it still wants to go left and lift the right wing first, which I think is a torque reaction. As soon as the wheels leave the ground, they are no longer counteracting the torque and the plane wants to roll. The approach I have take is to apply down elevator to keep the rear wheel on the runway, a little right rudder and apply power slowly to get get a straight start, then progressively keep adding power and build speed slowly while correcting. I get a long rollout and flat takeoff. I found high power takeoffs not to be much easier because bad things happened too fast.

For landing I try for a flat approach with some power and let the plane settle by itself. I've tried to flare, but not very successful. When I let the front seat pilot take control, the plane becomes pitch sensitive, tips easily with left-right corrections, and likes to stand on its head.

I've found that crosswind takeoffs and landing can be very difficult, even with a gyro.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 06:09 PM
Find More Posts by T.A.Z
Obsession, not hobby
Joined Sep 2013
1,097 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Mitchel View Post
I keep straddling the fence on weather to sell mine and move on or not. I have trouble getting it to handle well. 3s 3200 or 4000 mAh and a bunch of weight on the nose and the elevator is super sensitive, the take offs always seem to lift one wing before the others and veer to one side. I don't recall if it is consistently the same side, but I don't think so. So I avoid scale take offs, which I would prefer, and just punch it to get it in the air. Landings, often ground loops.

Would cutting through the firewall inside of the motor box help lighten the plane, allowing me to shift the battery forward and lose the weight?
A gentleman did that exact thing on his very detailed and custom 15e.

Mini-HowTo: E-Flite Stearman Makover
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 24, 2016, 08:34 PM
Lower AL
Joined Feb 2013
1,639 Posts
Challenged Gravity to a dual, escaped in just the nick of time, tricky winds just over 13 mph, fun day with the crew.
3s 3300 all the way to the firewall, 5.5oz in the cylinders, 15 sized motor, Orange 6ch rx.
E-flite Stearman PT-17 15e Toth 23Apr16 (4 min 25 sec)

Jeff.....
Old Apr 25, 2016, 09:39 AM
Find More Posts by warhead_71
Always Ready!
Chicago, IL
Joined Dec 2006
5,378 Posts
It's been mentioned a hundred times in this thread but worth repeating: A few of us cut out the center "flash" of the exhaust ring and mounted the motor forward, flush with the front of the ring (also helps cool the motor). I used a 1200kv 25-size motor and both sets of provided spacers, 11x7 wood Xoar prop (12x6 also works). My ESC is strapped to the top of the spacers. I use a single 3300mah 3S lipo all the way forward or two 2200mah in parallel. I also mounted my R/E servos further forward and replaced the steel pushrods with CF. I have one of the lightest Eflite Stearmans at 60.5oz... still heavier/faster than many other biplanes I have at that scale, but it flies and lands easy with no wing AOA adjustments.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1016
warhead_71 is offline Find More Posts by warhead_71
Old Apr 28, 2016, 12:27 PM
Joined May 2014
565 Posts
Post got me curious, so I weighed my Stearman. 5 pounds/80 ounces. I have an Emax 3526 860 KV motor (8 ounces) and a 4000 mAh 4S lipo, and probably 6-7 ounces of weight up front to balance it level on a Dubro balancer. I have two pilots, a gyro, and a current sensor behind the CG (3-4 oz), so need extra weight to balance that.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 03:40 PM
Lower AL
Joined Feb 2013
1,639 Posts
I have the 15 sized motor, 5.25 oz of lead in the cylinders, a 3s 3300 or 3700 mah battery all the way to the firewall, 1 pilot with a very small scarf and a plain old 6 ch Orange rx.
Jeff............
Old Apr 29, 2016, 03:58 PM
Joined May 2014
565 Posts
I had a scarf, but a 90-yr old friend I fly with, who was once a military instructor in Stearmans, said that would never be done. Don't want something like that flapping around at 100 mph. Once you've impressed the girls at ground level, you take it off.