HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Feb 28, 2012, 08:13 PM
United States, MI, Macomb
Joined Feb 2012
10 Posts
Question
Experienced Apprentice and T-28 Pilots please reply!

I'm on the fence post deciding on my first plane. I've done research and I'm not interested in a 3 channel. I've been looking at either the E-Flite Apprentice RTF or the Parkzone T-28 BNF...both planes I've heard a ton about (both good and bad points). Please take note that I would sell off the DX5e transmitter if I purchased the Apprentice because I currently own a DX6i that I've been using with the Phoenix Flight Sim software along with my two E-Flite Blade heli's. Room to fly either of these is not an issue. I know both of these planes are different animals, but which one do you think would be in my best interest?
Tilly70 is offline Find More Posts by Tilly70
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 28, 2012, 09:44 PM
Look out below
United States, OR, McMinnville
Joined Aug 2011
1,490 Posts
The apprentice will give you alot of help by self correcting. I started with a micro t28 and used a bunch of glue. You might not think so but when you tense up with anxiety its nice to have the plane flatten out by its self.
mcnowhere is offline Find More Posts by mcnowhere
Old Feb 28, 2012, 10:22 PM
United States, OR, The Dalles
Joined Apr 2011
1,402 Posts
Especially if you won't have an instructor, I'd recommend the Apprentice. Bigger wheels and taped ailerons are about the only things I'd add.

Since you already have a transmitter, I'd go plug and play. Drop in a reciever, and you would need a charger and batteries.

Nitro Planes sells a battery line called Gens Ace. They are cheaper than e-flite and their 3300 3 cell performs well in this plane. I have also heard good things about HK Turnegy. Charger wise I have a T6 from Nitro Planes. HK has a similar one. It is a 4 bank charger that can handle any combination of battery types at the same time.
JeffinTD is offline Find More Posts by JeffinTD
Old Feb 29, 2012, 06:56 AM
Joined Feb 2012
10 Posts
I've done the pricing too. The PNP Apprentice ends up being more expensive than the RTF version (after I sell off the DX5e). I also have a Thunder Power charger for lipo's which I currently use for my RC cars.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 07:19 AM
Sure, I can fly after sunset!?
United States, MI, Novi
Joined Jan 2011
566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnowhere View Post
The apprentice will give you alot of help by self correcting. I started with a micro t28 and used a bunch of glue. You might not think so but when you tense up with anxiety its nice to have the plane flatten out by its self.
I agree.

I have never flown either plane, but I believe that my personal experiences might be of help in your decision.

I started with the Super Cub and can fly that thing blindfolded (almost). Like the Apprentice, it has dihedral in the wings which makes it easy to fly.

My second plane was the PZ S.E.5a. I still have a heck of a time keeping that thing in the sky. It has to be FLOWN, whereas the Super Cub flies itself hands-off due to the dihedral self correcting effects. My understanding is that the S.E.5a is just a little more difficult to fly than the t28. If that is so, then I strongly suggest you go with the Apprentice.

Another thing is size. The Apprentice is larger than the T28 and can be flown further away before losing orientation. That can be helpful for a newbie.

A lot of people love both planes, but for a self-taught newbie I think that the T28 would be a great second plane.

Good luck.
mybad is offline Find More Posts by mybad
Old Feb 29, 2012, 08:23 AM
Joined Apr 2009
2,715 Posts
For a first plane I went with the Apprentice and was glad I did. I liked the fact that it was a large plane. It has enough power and the ability to do loops and rolls and inverted flight. I eventually upgraded to a more powerful motor and put floats on it. It's a blast to fly of the water and looks great with floats.

In regards to the DX5e. I kept mine for one main reason "backup". I have a DX7 but I keep my DX5e in case there ever is a problem with the DX7. If your main radio goes south and you need to send it in you don't want to be loosing the flying season waiting for a repair. I also have used it to buddy box with new fliers.
tacx is offline Find More Posts by tacx
Old Feb 29, 2012, 09:11 AM
United States, FL, The Villages
Joined Oct 2010
4,001 Posts
Keeping that radio is OK I guess, but it would need to be a 1 plane radio, or go through a bit of hassle to get it to work on another plane. BUT, even 1 plane to fly while the "good" radio is off to the shop isn't too bad, huh?

As for selling it ... good luck. I don't see many people lining up to buy those. It is, after all, a one trick pony.

Don
dkrhardy is offline Find More Posts by dkrhardy
Old Feb 29, 2012, 09:59 AM
Joined Apr 2011
1,402 Posts
I also fly my Apprentice on floats- what a blast.

It is also powerful enough (just barely) to haul an rc skydiver (micro diver) up to jump altitude.

The Dx5- used for the skydiver...
Old Feb 29, 2012, 10:05 AM
I AM SOFA KING WE TODD DID
United States, CA, Ben Lomond
Joined Mar 2011
1,133 Posts
Apprentice 1st. great high wing trainer. Add bigger wheels for sure, and plan on upgrading the motor and esc eventually.
wavekatcher is offline Find More Posts by wavekatcher
Old Feb 29, 2012, 10:09 AM
Joined Feb 2012
10 Posts
I guess my biggest concern is whether or not I would get bored too soon with the Apprentice, only to turn around and pay more money out for the T-28. Has anyone experienced losing interest in their Apprentice quickly, or is it still part of your fleet?
Old Feb 29, 2012, 10:12 AM
'tis nothing
United States, CA, Napa
Joined Dec 2011
941 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilly70 View Post
I guess my biggest concern is whether or not I would get bored too soon with the Apprentice, ...?
Consider a Habu?
shunyata is offline Find More Posts by shunyata
Old Feb 29, 2012, 10:20 AM
Joined Apr 2011
1,402 Posts
I still fly mine. For a high wing trainer type plane, it does Cuban 8's, flies around inverted, and stuff like that well.

I also used it as a first experience with floats, which worked well, and I may use it to try aero towing.

I don't think you will get tired of the Apprentice too quickly. Naturally you will want to step up at some point, but that is true with any plane.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 10:44 AM
I AM SOFA KING WE TODD DID
United States, CA, Ben Lomond
Joined Mar 2011
1,133 Posts
I still love mine. I'm setting her up to carry my GoPro2. Its a great model. I installed a bigger motor and esc. She'll float around slow or I can do aerobatics. Long flight times too.
wavekatcher is offline Find More Posts by wavekatcher
Old Feb 29, 2012, 10:54 AM
fmw
Joined Jul 2009
1,955 Posts
You can buy the Apprentice in Plug and Play so there is no need to buy a transmitter. The Apprentice flies something like Cub on steroids. It is not as maneuverable as the T-28 but it is more stable and easier to fly making it a true trainer. The T-28 is not a trainer.
fmw is offline Find More Posts by fmw
Old Feb 29, 2012, 02:19 PM
Joined Feb 2012
10 Posts
It would be nice if the Phoenix Flight Sim had the E-Flite Apprentice on there.
Closed Thread