HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 18, 2011, 03:14 AM
OS Sponsor
Germany, NRW, Dusseldorf
Joined Jun 2010
5,401 Posts
Awww - saweet!

Looks like my new toy for the German winter!

Now for the inevitabile questions:
- availability
- price

kinderkram is offline Find More Posts by kinderkram
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 18, 2011, 04:25 AM
Joined Jul 2011
188 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofy23 View Post

My newest Toy got airborne today.
The Flydumini.
Only flew indoor, but there is a lot potential.
Not sure about the lipo size and which connector to use (may the JST is too smal in this case).
Got him well on 3.4 pid settings, was a real fun and really stable.
I had to add some carbon reinforcements underneath, no bid deal, afterward he was really stable.
Its all integrated on one PCB, incl. the RX which is a nacked Frsky D4FR.
BMA020 and WMP are padded on Servo tape.
All is working really great, technically its fine, really fine.
All togehter below 150g incl. 2S 500mAh (which is a bit too small i think).
5" props are used, horibble ballanced ones from HK, but after ballancing ok.
6A ESC, but the 10A will fit absolute nicely too.
Sadly after a crash, was in the corner of the room, fell on a edge of a table, damm, my RX didnt bind anymore since then?, they are pretty sensitive it seems.
In the small series i plan i also planned a cover for protection.
Of course matt black.
Leds are on the underside, for orientation.
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/411/dsc01408j.jpg/
20cm motor to motor.

Hi Paul,

well done! Seems like I will have to get one for chaseing my dog in the living room *lol*
Will you include the reinforcement plate(s) when the mini is on sale? And, you will have the props too (maybe 3-blade ones..)? I think we will all wear out some of them (at least I will do *g*)!!

Joerg
aBUGSnightmare is offline Find More Posts by aBUGSnightmare
Old Oct 18, 2011, 09:32 AM
Deutschland, Schleswig-Holstein, Kiel
Joined Jan 2011
431 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinderkram View Post
Looks like my new toy for the German winter!

Now for the inevitabile questions:
- availability
- price

+1

as german winter has begun already here
some indoor training machine would be soo useful for me

-------------

yesterday, after triple checking electronics + programming for hours without success, i located the problem, that was always making my flyduspider pitching forward.... *loool*

i simply forgot to tighten the srews of the 2 front props after changing them to green ones.

the props were not total lose, they rotated fast , coukld not see any issue, but the had some slip when getting power.
fasten them, and problem is gone.

now i raised pitch P 0.5 points (maybe will add some) because roll axis is/was far more solid than pitch axis.
the spider now is flyable in a small room, although its very much like an insect, very fast reaction and much power, and i must be very careful with the Tx stick inputs..
alteskind is offline Find More Posts by alteskind
Old Oct 18, 2011, 09:58 AM
Joined Jul 2011
188 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alteskind View Post
+1

as german winter has begun already here
some indoor training machine would be soo useful for me

-------------

yesterday, after triple checking electronics + programming for hours without success, i located the problem, that was always making my flyduspider pitching forward.... *loool*

i simply forgot to tighten the srews of the 2 front props after changing them to green ones.

the props were not total lose, they rotated fast , coukld not see any issue, but the had some slip when getting power.
fasten them, and problem is gone.

now i raised pitch P 0.5 points (maybe will add some) because roll axis is/was far more solid than pitch axis.
the spider now is flyable in a small room, although its very much like an insect, very fast reaction and much power, and i must be very careful with the Tx stick inputs..
Hi alteskind,

what are your PID settings for the spider?
I've mounted 900kV motors and Pauls 8''x4.5 props. I feel it should react a little stiffer on pitch/roll axis when in level mode (by the way: I've mounted the Atmels IMU, but I think you already know ...).

And, yes! The spider is very angry; great sound and it is realy fast! Well, I think I should opt for a new TX since it is 'real work' to control it with my DX5e.

aBUGSworstnightmare
Old Oct 18, 2011, 12:23 PM
Germany
Joined Mar 2011
58 Posts
You put 8" on the 900 kV motors?! You should use 10" on them
x4FF3 is offline Find More Posts by x4FF3
Old Oct 18, 2011, 01:20 PM
Joined Sep 2011
11 Posts
hi, I am having problems connecting the flydunio with the Ardunio software. I want to upload multiwii 1.8. I using the FTDI Cable 5V by Sparkfun When I connect the FTDI cable to the board the green "on"-LED lightens up and the green LED next to the FTDI flashes two times.
In the software I have selected COM 4 and Mega 2560.
Windows 7 Pro didn't ask for drivers and doesn't want to replace it's drivers with the one from FTDI.
After compiling when I klick "upload" It shows: "Binary sketch size: 16332 bytes (of a 258048 byte maximum)" and then nothing happens until I pull out the plug.
any suggestions?
tvdu is offline Find More Posts by tvdu
Old Oct 18, 2011, 01:20 PM
Joined Jan 2011
431 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aBUGSnightmare View Post
Hi alteskind,

what are your PID settings for the spider?
I've mounted 900kV motors and Pauls 8''x4.5 props. I feel it should react a little stiffer on pitch/roll axis when in level mode (by the way: I've mounted the Atmels IMU, but I think you already know ...).

And, yes! The spider is very angry; great sound and it is realy fast! Well, I think I should opt for a new TX since it is 'real work' to control it with my DX5e.

aBUGSworstnightmare
roll P is 4.1, pitch 4.6 (think i will even go 0.x higher because its not as tight as roll axis now. rolll axis is totally tight +direct - as if there was a mechanical connection to the Tx stick...)
I D are stock (0.25 / 17 ?)

level is 9.8 , rest is stock

i use kda 20_28m with pauls props

unfortunately my serial bluetooth module gave up - waiting or a new one to make the ftdi obsolet for finetuning .
Old Oct 18, 2011, 01:23 PM
OS Sponsor
Germany, NRW, Dusseldorf
Joined Jun 2010
5,401 Posts
FlyduQuad Maiden Flight

Another video from the last weekend.
This time it's a quad exclusively made from parts of Paul's Flyduino shop: frame, motors, props, fc...

FlyduQuad Maiden Flight (3 min 25 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 18, 2011, 01:25 PM
Joined Jan 2011
431 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdu View Post
hi, I am having problems connecting the flydunio with the Ardunio software. I want to upload multiwii 1.8. I using the FTDI Cable 5V by Sparkfun When I connect the FTDI cable to the board the green "on"-LED lightens up and the green LED next to the FTDI flashes two times.
In the software I have selected COM 4 and Mega 2560.
Windows 7 Pro didn't ask for drivers and doesn't want to replace it's drivers with the one from FTDI.
After compiling when I klick "upload" It shows: "Binary sketch size: 16332 bytes (of a 258048 byte maximum)" and then nothing happens until I pull out the plug.
any suggestions?

did u connect the cable correct? descripton following your link says: "For use with those boards, align the black and green wires of the FTDI cable with the 'BLK' and 'GRN' labels on the PCB."

what says system properties from windows?

is there a driver installed for that FTDI?
to which com-port it is assigned to the ftdi in your windows?
Old Oct 18, 2011, 01:29 PM
It wasn't me
Augsburg, Germany
Joined Mar 2010
428 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aBUGSnightmare View Post
I've mounted 900kV motors and Pauls 8''x4.5 props.
As David wrote: slow motors and small props are no good combination. You should either use 10" on these motors or use motors with at least 1050KV, better 1100-1200.
r0sewhite is offline Find More Posts by r0sewhite
Old Oct 18, 2011, 01:36 PM
Hamburg, Germany
Joined Jan 2011
1,075 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alteskind View Post
did u connect the cable correct? descripton following your link says: "For use with those boards, align the black and green wires of the FTDI cable with the 'BLK' and 'GRN' labels on the PCB."

what says system properties from windows?

is there a driver installed for that FTDI?
to which com-port it is assigned to the ftdi in your windows?
Do you have a unknown device under system?
If yes this has to be cured first, deinstall and reinstall everything.
Normally your windows should find on its own, but i also had one or 2 times the case i had to reinstall the ftdi, windows...., but normally this FTDI driver is pretty rocksolid, have to say i like it.
Goofy23 is offline Find More Posts by Goofy23
Old Oct 18, 2011, 01:41 PM
Joined Jan 2011
431 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by r0sewhite View Post
As David wrote: slow motors and small props are no good combination. You should either use 10" on these motors or use motors with at least 1050KV, better 1100-1200.
flyduspider is too small for bigger props,

i had one flyduspider with fc2822 motors with 1200KV,
and still have one with kda20_28m with 1050KV.

maybe a pro would notice difference, but i do not see any difference in flight time or performance.
full throttle is rarely used by a noob like me - i do not want to crash it too early
Old Oct 18, 2011, 02:14 PM
Joined Jul 2011
188 Posts
Quote:
Hi there,

thanks for the comments on the props!
Well, I'm no warthox (unfortunately) .
I'm satisfied with the performance of the spider at the moment since I want to use it as a GPS test rig. It hovers at less than 1/3 throttle and flight time is over when the Lipo is empty (since I don't count the minutes). Well, I must say that I will need some more training before I would attempt to try this angry wasp with 1200KV engines

I will test it with the PIDs of mentioned by alteskind and use them as a template (yes, different KV values; I know!).

aBUGSworstnightmare

By the way, 10'' props will not fit on the spider (I think 9'' is max)
Old Oct 18, 2011, 02:27 PM
It wasn't me
Augsburg, Germany
Joined Mar 2010
428 Posts
Yep, I know that 10" is too big for the spider with standard arms. I just wondered how someone can be satisfied with only 900KV and 8x4.5 props.
r0sewhite is offline Find More Posts by r0sewhite
Old Oct 18, 2011, 03:20 PM
OS Sponsor
Germany, NRW, Dusseldorf
Joined Jun 2010
5,401 Posts
Quote:
Yep, I know that 10" is too big for the spider with standard arms. I just wondered how someone can be satisfied with only 900KV and 8x4.5 props.
I just put 8" on my quad with TMs 900kV and tried. Boring, feels like a toy. Might be easier to fly but the loss of thrust is significant.
These motors are too good for 8". Build a flat Hexa with 10" or bigger and you will have a pretty agile craft that can carry ~2kg easily.

On my Spider I use KDA 22-26 and 8" - a combo which makes it an aggressive insect.
RCG Plus Member