Old Mar 27, 2015, 08:18 PM
Find More Posts by stingray23U
TEAM HILLBILLY
United States, KS, Overland Park
Joined Dec 2014
11 Posts
Careful!
Scale bomb: 1, MM Magpie: 0

HobbyKing sells some nice Quanum scale bombs with a release mechanism that plugs into the gear channel on your receiver. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...=quanum%20bomb
I'd had one sitting around awhile unused, so I decided to mount it to my Mountain Models Magpie. I figured it would have plenty of lift since it handled a 200g+ camera without any problems.

One problem: DRAG. These things produce loads of it. I got the plane trimmed out with the release mechanism mounted without the bomb, which weighs almost nothing, so I thought it would do fine with the bomb mounted to it. After checking the CG I thought it was ready to go.

I gave it full power down at my local school baseball field, but right after takeoff I knew something was wrong. The Magpie could barely climb and was accelerating way too slow. By the time I had enough altitude to start turning, I was already over the school on the other side of the field. I rolled into a right turn to bring it back over the field, but the plane snapped very quickly into a knife edge and lost a lot of altitude. It hit the roof of the school very hard before I could get the wings level.

Asking a school janitor to retrieve a crashed airplane from the roof wasn't my proudest moment as a pilot When I got it back, the wing was destroyed and the fuselage was in pretty bad shape too.

The Magpie desperately needs ailerons, and that was probably one of the reasons it crashed with the bomb on board. As for the bomb, I wouldn't use it on a three-channel airplane or one that you're not sure has enough power. I guess the moral of the story is that you really need to be careful when flying new equipment. Choose a large field and be prepared to make an emergency landing.

Fly safe and good luck,
Ryan
stingray23U is offline Find More Posts by stingray23U
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 03, 2015, 12:21 PM
Find More Posts by mt_100
I have no friends
United States, MI, Holland
Joined Dec 1996
3,466 Posts
If you knew something was wrong after taking off you should have just released it and saved the plane.
mt_100 is online now Find More Posts by mt_100
Old Apr 03, 2015, 12:50 PM
Find More Posts by stingray23U
TEAM HILLBILLY
United States, KS, Overland Park
Joined Dec 2014
11 Posts
I had my hands full with the stick and couldn't reach the release switch. If I had tried to release it it would probably have stalled.
stingray23U is offline Find More Posts by stingray23U