New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 03, 2013, 11:36 AM
Find More Posts by ctraxx
Joined Sep 2013
230 Posts
Discussion
Quad beginer

Hi there guys

First if all sorry if this has been done already and if this is a wrong section.

I am thinking of getting a quad copter but this side of rc is new to me. I already have hubsan x4 but that just a wee toy. Ive been in rc hobby for 7 years but only nitro and electric cars (i had one nitro plane aswell). I know alot of you will guide me to a rtr model but i want something i can customize in the future. Ideally 20-25 minutes of flight time, enough power to lift something like horizon hd camera or gopro and able to operate it through gogles. I will def try to upgrade it so it can do missions. 1-2km range.

I know its a lot to ask for but i belive somebody already did something similar as a project. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

I dont mind reading so throw everytjhing you have got there.

Thanks for any help
ctraxx is offline Find More Posts by ctraxx
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 03, 2013, 12:13 PM
Find More Posts by Balr14
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,496 Posts
IMO, the DJI Phantom is the best RTF quad you can purchase. It uses standard DJI components that can be transferred to other frames, to accomodate camera and FPV gear more easily than the Phantom.
Balr14 is online now Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Dec 03, 2013, 12:31 PM
Joined Sep 2013
230 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balr14 View Post
IMO, the DJI Phantom is the best RTF quad you can purchase. It uses standard DJI components that can be transferred to other frames, to accomodate camera and FPV gear more easily than the Phantom.
Thanks for quick response

Ive just checked and this one is a rtf model but i dont mind building everything from scratch like new frame, motors, esc, separate telemetry etc. On begining it will just be a quad that i can fly but later on i will add stuff to it like live feed etc. It would be awesome if it was stable enough for good aerial photography but that will come later
Old Dec 03, 2013, 01:26 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,496 Posts
I started with the little micro quads as well and decided to build my own. I have built 3 so far and am working on the 4th. The mechanics are easy. The FCB features are a huge pain in the ass. I'm glad I have the Phantom to fall back on. No fuss, no hassle, just fly.
Old Dec 03, 2013, 01:31 PM
Find More Posts by chuenwe
United States, NY, Huntington Station
Joined May 2012
1,683 Posts
If you are like to build your own, there are lot of build thread in this forum. Pick any one you like and get a reference from what they've done. My stretched Talon project version 2 was carrying the Horizon HD version 3 and had 27 minutes flight time while powering the camera, iOSD, and a 400mW video TX.

chuenwe is offline Find More Posts by chuenwe
Old Dec 03, 2013, 01:38 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,496 Posts
It's worth mentioning that if you build your own, start with a good FCB, like Naza or APM. They make the process of setting things up soooo much easier. It's well worth the cost, especially if you want all the features, like GPS.
Old Dec 03, 2013, 01:38 PM
Find More Posts by JC3233
Stupidity doesn't fly
United States, PA, Philadelphia
Joined Oct 2013
351 Posts
based on what you want to achieve, I can give you some guidelines.

20-25 minute flight time - go low kv motors and swing big. my 650kv and 13x4.5 on a 3S LiPo ran a good 25 minutes, but thats on a quad with just a gopro hero 3

lifting big cameras in the future- hex or octocopter configurations will get you that. I personally like X8 but that decreases flight time by losing efficiency. These bigger crafts can get expensive real fast.

I used wood for my first frame until I knew what I really wanted, then i went to aluminum, then carbon fiber. The wooden one was actually my favorite, cheap to fix, great vibration dampening, and lots of flexible options to start with. I think creating your own frame is the funnest way to start. Use a KK2.0 or APM and work your way up to Naza or even an A2.

Electronic Parts list:
4-8 low kv brushless outrunner motors.
4-8 brushless BEC ESC
1 Flight controller (KK2.0, APM, MultiWii, Naza, ect)
3S-6S LiPo battery. You need like 5000 mAh and up to get even remotely close to 20 minutes. May need like 10,000 mAh total. Match LiPo voltage to what your ESC and Motors can handle.

FPV equipment wise, I love Fatshark on a 5.8Ghz link. The space is small to work on a multirotor so the small CP antenna is great.
JC3233 is offline Find More Posts by JC3233
Old Dec 03, 2013, 02:45 PM
Find More Posts by KC_703
United States, VA
Joined Sep 2013
3,102 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctraxx View Post
Hi there guys

First if all sorry if this has been done already and if this is a wrong section.

I am thinking of getting a quad copter but this side of rc is new to me. I already have hubsan x4 but that just a wee toy. Ive been in rc hobby for 7 years but only nitro and electric cars (i had one nitro plane aswell). I know alot of you will guide me to a rtr model but i want something i can customize in the future. Ideally 20-25 minutes of flight time, enough power to lift something like horizon hd camera or gopro and able to operate it through gogles. I will def try to upgrade it so it can do missions. 1-2km range.

I know its a lot to ask for but i belive somebody already did something similar as a project. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

I dont mind reading so throw everytjhing you have got there.

Thanks for any help
That's pretty ambitious, but a great goal. Take a baby step and build an ARF or mini-H (220mm). Learn to fly LOS.... well, then move onto FPV. It would suck to build a $300 - $500 dollar quad and trash it learning to fly.

Get a durable nylon or fiberglass frame and go at it! IMO, a good start would be a F330 or F450 knockoff frame for about $20-30. Get your own motors, ESC and FC and you're good to go.

My personal preference would be to do a mini-H. I've got a BAH Mini-H frame and it takes a licking. Motors, ESC and FC will run you about $120 on top of the frame cost. Get a Mobius AC keycam for decent 1080p ($100), without ruining your GoPro... add a video transmitter and the Mobius could record HD video and serve as FPV too (but this wouldn't be as optimal as a dedicated CCD).

Have fun and post video!
KC_703 is offline Find More Posts by KC_703
Old Dec 03, 2013, 02:58 PM
Find More Posts by ecks
Manual will not flyaway :D
Sweden, Gothenburg
Joined Oct 2012
3,325 Posts
My advise would be a bit different, I started 450 size and went down to 310mm, this gave me a lot more acrobatic ability, and a hell of a lot more fun FPV experience.

It depends on if your goal is Aerial photography, or fun, or a mixture of both. The Naza will be incredible for steady easy flying. Ive just bought my first Naza after a year of playing with the $30 KK2. BUT, its so boring to fly with.

The KK2 is very easy to set up, has an onscreen display and buttons, so is very easy to change settings on the field.

It can be perfectly stable (no gps however) or an acrobatic maniac. Absolutely my favorite FC.

On a 310 frame you can have 8 inch props, this will easily lift a go pro and FPV equipment, and still perform acrobatic.

Short acrobatic flight times of around 7 mins with a 3s 1600 battery.

13/14 mins with a 3s 3000 battery.

Ground video
ecks white copper test flight.3gp (1 min 17 sec)

Onboard video
Ecks frame quadcopter (2 min 45 sec)
ecks is offline Find More Posts by ecks
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 03, 2013, 04:11 PM
Joined Sep 2013
230 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuenwe View Post
If you are like to build your own, there are lot of build thread in this forum. Pick any one you like and get a reference from what they've done. My stretched Talon project version 2 was carrying the Horizon HD version 3 and had 27 minutes flight time while powering the camera, iOSD, and a 400mW video TX.

I cant believe that your project was the first one i have checked (one i liked) on this forum and now you have replayed me, strange coincidence

Going back to my first quad, to seve money i will probably leave the goggles on a side now and concentrate on quad on its own.

Fatshark was something i looked at as well but that will come later. When it comes to cameras i have 2 x 808 key chain ones and one that does 1080p and 720p at 60fps so for basics it should do the job.

I dont think i would go as far as 6 or more motors due to a certain budget.
It will be VERY important to keep it balanced right so good gyro system would be welcome.

I always wondered what radio system i should go for, i know futaba and spectrum are good (to pricey imho) i also had hi tec optic 6 sytem in the past and it was fine for trainer plane. I dont want to pay to much for radio but i want something that i can upgrade just in case i use turnigy nanos 4s 5000mah 45-90c on my cars and i assume i dont need such a high discharge rate for quadcopters or maybe i do
Old Dec 03, 2013, 04:17 PM
Joined May 2012
1,683 Posts
Yea, 45C is more than enough.

I've only used Futaba and Spektrum. Maybe other people can chime in on the cheaper radio.
Old Dec 03, 2013, 04:19 PM
Joined Sep 2013
230 Posts
Damn your quad is awesome i might just follow you. I think thats what i want. What would be a maximum payload and flight times?
Old Dec 03, 2013, 04:25 PM
Joined Sep 2013
230 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecks View Post
My advise would be a bit different, I started 450 size and went down to 310mm, this gave me a lot more acrobatic ability, and a hell of a lot more fun FPV experience.

It depends on if your goal is Aerial photography, or fun, or a mixture of both. The Naza will be incredible for steady easy flying. Ive just bought my first Naza after a year of playing with the $30 KK2. BUT, its so boring to fly with.

The KK2 is very easy to set up, has an onscreen display and buttons, so is very easy to change settings on the field.

It can be perfectly stable (no gps however) or an acrobatic maniac. Absolutely my favorite FC.

On a 310 frame you can have 8 inch props, this will easily lift a go pro and FPV equipment, and still perform acrobatic.

Short acrobatic flight times of around 7 mins with a 3s 1600 battery.

13/14 mins with a 3s 3000 battery.

Ground video
https://vimeo.com/74008334

Onboard video
https://vimeo.com/67493040
Good skills there, very very fast machine. There are to many quads out there to find the one for myself...
Old Dec 03, 2013, 04:40 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,496 Posts
You might want to give the StingRay kit a look. It's expensive, but looks like a lot of fun and handles FPV gear easily.

Stingray See It, Fly It (3 min 56 sec)
Old Dec 03, 2013, 04:54 PM
Joined May 2012
1,683 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctraxx View Post
Damn your quad is awesome i might just follow you. I think thats what i want. What would be a maximum payload and flight times?
With 3s, with all those FPV gear loaded, it can only carry another 150g. I found it out during the Halloween time. With 4s, it can carry another 1.5kg of payload.

Halloween Flying Skeleton (0 min 47 sec)