New Products Flash Sale
Old May 30, 2009, 04:49 PM
Find More Posts by Ian Easton
United Kingdom, Scotland, Fife
Joined May 1999
2,856 Posts
Discussion
DH 87B Hornet Moth

I'm in the process of drawing up the plans to a DH87B Hornet Moth. I just found out that the original has the RAF 15 aerofoil. Any thoughts about using this section on the model? Has anyone used it on any of theirs?

Ian
Ian Easton is offline Find More Posts by Ian Easton
to remove ads between posts
Old May 30, 2009, 07:24 PM
Find More Posts by Martin Irvine
Canada, ON, Kingston
Joined Aug 2000
2,055 Posts
Hi Ian,
The RAF 15 is fine as a model section but you will have to use functional rigging. It's too thin for cantilever construction.

Martin
Martin Irvine is offline Find More Posts by Martin Irvine
Old May 30, 2009, 08:52 PM
Find More Posts by Zephyr41
Malanda, QLD Australia
Joined Jul 2004
975 Posts
Hi Ian,
Agreed, I've used it on a couple of biplanes and it's fine. Finding good coordinates for the RAF 15 is another thing! I have coordinates from a couple of sources and they are somewhat different.

Rich
Zephyr41 is offline Find More Posts by Zephyr41
Old May 31, 2009, 06:22 PM
Find More Posts by LLBarb
United States, CA, Hemet
Joined Jan 2005
129 Posts
I used it on a 1/5 scale, IC powered, Hornet Moth and it worked fine...
Only problem I had with the Model was trying to keep it tracking straight on take off and upon landing. I believe problem was the scale location of landing gear, which is way forward of the CG.
Discussion with ED Clark, owner of airplane I modeled, warned me of problem. Said, real one was a bear to take-off and land.

Lloyd
LLBarb is offline Find More Posts by LLBarb
Old Jun 01, 2009, 12:12 AM
Joined May 1999
2,856 Posts
Thanks for the input guys.

Loyd, that's a good looking MOth you have there.

Rich, The profili programme has RAF15 but from the sounds of it maybe I should check a couple of sources.
Old Jun 01, 2009, 05:58 AM
Malanda, QLD Australia
Joined Jul 2004
975 Posts
Ian,
Try this page for coordinates of the RAF 15 and RAF 15 mod. I think DH used the RAF 15 mod- read that somewhere I suspect but can't really remember. It always seemed to me that the RAF 15 was just a cambered fairing drawn around couple of conveniently arranged spars...
Rich
Old Jun 01, 2009, 06:18 AM
Find More Posts by cmelak
Joined Jan 2008
19 Posts
Hi Jan, absolutely agree with Martin Irvine, used RAF 15 on my SE 5 1/4 scale ( sorry at the time wet engine), 6 times Italian Scale Champ, a couple of World Champs, lovely performer with scale section, but true scale functional rigging.

Carlo
cmelak is offline Find More Posts by cmelak
Old Jun 01, 2009, 06:58 AM
Find More Posts by Mike Smart
Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jan 2000
3,058 Posts
Ian,

Lloyd's Moth was built from my plans, its 20 odd years ago that we did this for the Shuttleworth Trophy, but as far as I remember it was the scale section. As others have said, the wing needs to be functionally braced for stiffness although we cheated a little, using wire wing dowels rather than the pure braced folding arrangement.

Mike
Mike Smart is offline Find More Posts by Mike Smart
Old Jun 01, 2009, 08:01 AM
Malanda, QLD Australia
Joined Jul 2004
975 Posts
Ian,
Here are the RAF 15mod coordinates from the site I linked to above, adjusted for a datum through the LE and TE rather than at the lowest point on the lower surface.
I did this so I could create a coordinate file in Compufoil. Maybe it will be handy for Profili users as well. Compufoil can overlay airfoils for comparison but I haven't had time to adjust the coordinates and compare RAF 15s from different sources.
Rich
Old Jun 01, 2009, 12:31 PM
United States, CA, Hemet
Joined Jan 2005
129 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Smart
Ian,

Lloyd's Moth was built from my plans, its 20 odd years ago that we did this for the Shuttleworth Trophy, but as far as I remember it was the scale section. As others have said, the wing needs to be functionally braced for stiffness although we cheated a little, using wire wing dowels rather than the pure braced folding arrangement.

Mike
Mike,
I modified your plans of the DH87B to provide the folding wing feature, which changed the structure of the fuselage as well as the wing. The rigging therefore was functional. I have copies of the factory drawings from de Havilland which were used to get the details right.
Old Jun 01, 2009, 03:21 PM
Joined May 1999
2,856 Posts
I really appreciate the input guys, especially the fore-warning about bracing the wings. Having seen my Black Magic fold it'd wings a couple of weeks ago I wouldn't want to see the same thing happen here.

Loyd, You wouldn't happen to have the factory drawings in a computer file would you?
Old Jun 01, 2009, 07:43 PM
United States, CA, Hemet
Joined Jan 2005
129 Posts
Sorry Ian, They are the plain old kind, and copies at that.
However, Since you are located in Riverside, and I'm living in Hemet, just 30 miles from Riverside...perhaps we could get together and make copies of what I have. I got mine from ED Clark the owner of the DH87B I modeled.
I also have a lot of photos of his airplane, which were a big help with the details.

Lloyd
Old Jan 22, 2015, 09:33 AM
Find More Posts by jack shettle
Joined Nov 2008
3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Easton View Post
I'm in the process of drawing up the plans to a DH87B Hornet Moth. I just found out that the original has the RAF 15 aerofoil. Any thoughts about using this section on the model? Has anyone used it on any of theirs?

Ian
I have just got the plans from Traplet as I was hoping to build as free flight version. All wing rigging angles are shown as zero, zero but in the D H Listing it shows them as +4 lower wing +2 top wing any ides ? The RAF 32 would be about right also
jack shettle is offline Find More Posts by jack shettle
Old Jan 22, 2015, 11:48 PM
Joined May 1999
2,856 Posts
Jack, If your going to build it for FF I would increase the angles of the wings, leave the tail at 0 and increase the dihedral.
Old Jan 23, 2015, 01:01 AM
Joined May 1999
2,856 Posts
Jack, I got to thinking after I posted my reply that I had drawn the original plan with the +4 and +2 as you mentioned as I would have had no reason to change the original geometry set out by Dehavilland. I dug out my original drawing and it does show the different incidence in the wings. The lower being a little more than the top so that the lower will stall first. When you build it just make sure it is that way and definitely increase dihedral as the there's not much on my model - hence the ailerons.