New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 17, 2014, 10:06 AM
Find More Posts by Tigg
Joined Apr 2012
7 Posts
Help!
Ares Gamma 370

Hello.

I am currently learning the Ares Gamma 370. It is a great aircraft to learn on.

However, I have noticed recently that there is some vertical play (about 1/2 inch) in the engine axle. Is this play meant to be there? Or is the axle meant to be straight/fixed in one position?

I'd have thought that there should be some kind of play in the motor axle, but with the amount of play there is, the motor vibrates on about half throttle.

Any help appreciated.

Tigg
Tigg is offline Find More Posts by Tigg
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 17, 2014, 10:13 AM
Find More Posts by cmdl
Y=C+I+G
United States, CA, Rosemead
Joined Jan 2012
10,001 Posts
post your question here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1682004
that is a dedicated thread visited by many of the owners of your plane. you'll likely get more responses there.
cmdl is offline Find More Posts by cmdl
Old Nov 17, 2014, 10:27 AM
Find More Posts by Grup
doha Qatar
Joined Jan 2004
832 Posts
Tigg I looked for your question in the Ares thread but didn't see it there yet. That thread really is a wealth of information on this plane.

The Ares comes in two configurations, Ares 370 with a brushed motor, and Ares 370 Pro with a brushless motor. I had a brushed motor plane, but I upgraded to brushless. My comments are really about the brushless motor

The brushless motor is attached to a metal motor mount, which has an adapter in order to connect to a square "stick mount" inserted into the fuselage. My motor mount is really, really tight on the stick; there is no play there. This could be a problem, you'll want to check this

The problem I frequently have is with the set screw that holds the motor to the motor mount. If you hit the ground, this set screw can become loose, and/or the motor can be dislodged from the adapter, and the motor (and propshaft) will be loose. The solution for this is

- Disconnect battery (ALWAYS do this first!)
- Remove prop
- Remove cowl
- Loosen the set screw, re-align motor nicely with the motor mount and re-tighten the set screw
- Put everything back together in reverse order

NOTES:
1) When you take the cowl off, try wiggling the shaft and see if the motor is moving relative to the mount (that would mean the set screw needs resetting/retightening) of if the motor and motor mount are moving relative to the stick. In this case, it's possible the plastic motor mount is cracked.

2) The motor mount has two threaded holes which will accommodate two set screws; but all of mine have come with only one installed. I was thinking about installing a second one but decided I'd rather let the motor come loose on impact, rather than get broken due to increased resistance.

3) Now, the brushed motor is a different story. It has a gear box! If this is rocking; the gears are messed up; or the bushing for the gearshaft is messed up, or the part of the motor mount that encircles the stick mount is cracked. Some careful diagnosis and visual inspection will determine the root cause

Hope that wasn't too long winded

Regards
Grup is offline Find More Posts by Grup
Old Dec 01, 2014, 07:27 PM
Find More Posts by Gamma370pro
United States, TN, Nashville
Joined Dec 2014
33 Posts
I have the gamma 370 pro and have a little wiggle but when im flying there is nothing noticable. If your NOT using a composite prop it may be the cause or take the prop and cowl off and tighten all the screws ( two hex's and one phillip head)
Gamma370pro is offline Find More Posts by Gamma370pro
Old Jun 03, 2015, 05:09 PM
Find More Posts by Sarge707
United States, CT, Southington
Joined Apr 2008
337 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grup View Post
Tigg I looked for your question in the Ares thread but didn't see it there yet. That thread really is a wealth of information on this plane.

The Ares comes in two configurations, Ares 370 with a brushed motor, and Ares 370 Pro with a brushless motor. I had a brushed motor plane, but I upgraded to brushless. My comments are really about the brushless motor

The brushless motor is attached to a metal motor mount, which has an adapter in order to connect to a square "stick mount" inserted into the fuselage. My motor mount is really, really tight on the stick; there is no play there. This could be a problem, you'll want to check this

The problem I frequently have is with the set screw that holds the motor to the motor mount. If you hit the ground, this set screw can become loose, and/or the motor can be dislodged from the adapter, and the motor (and propshaft) will be loose. The solution for this is

- Disconnect battery (ALWAYS do this first!)
- Remove prop
- Remove cowl
- Loosen the set screw, re-align motor nicely with the motor mount and re-tighten the set screw
- Put everything back together in reverse order

NOTES:
1) When you take the cowl off, try wiggling the shaft and see if the motor is moving relative to the mount (that would mean the set screw needs resetting/retightening) of if the motor and motor mount are moving relative to the stick. In this case, it's possible the plastic motor mount is cracked.

2) The motor mount has two threaded holes which will accommodate two set screws; but all of mine have come with only one installed. I was thinking about installing a second one but decided I'd rather let the motor come loose on impact, rather than get broken due to increased resistance.

3) Now, the brushed motor is a different story. It has a gear box! If this is rocking; the gears are messed up; or the bushing for the gearshaft is messed up, or the part of the motor mount that encircles the stick mount is cracked. Some careful diagnosis and visual inspection will determine the root cause

Hope that wasn't too long winded

Regards
So I broke my first prop today and the motor had come lose BUT one set screw was still in place and the Motor shaft was not bent because I tightened the one set screw and tried the motor. Now--- Your saying there is only ONE set screw on the Brushless motor? Can you put in the one on the other side??? Anyone know the size and if you can get it at Lowes?
Sarge707 is offline Find More Posts by Sarge707
Old Jun 03, 2015, 09:18 PM
Find More Posts by Grup
doha Qatar
Joined Jan 2004
832 Posts
Mine had only one set screw installed, it worked fine that way. It was very easy for the motor to become dislodged/loose on a "rough" landing.

I thought that was a safety feature to keep things from breaking, so I keep it that way. But if your motor is loose with only one screw, I'd definitely put the second one in.

I'm not in a position now to measure that, I'll do it later. As I recall, I got extras from HeadsUp RC; it is the same size as used in dubro small wheel collars also.

Regards
Grup is offline Find More Posts by Grup
Old Jun 04, 2015, 06:39 AM
Find More Posts by Sarge707
United States, CT, Southington
Joined Apr 2008
337 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grup View Post
Mine had only one set screw installed, it worked fine that way. It was very easy for the motor to become dislodged/loose on a "rough" landing.

I thought that was a safety feature to keep things from breaking, so I keep it that way. But if your motor is loose with only one screw, I'd definitely put the second one in.

I'm not in a position now to measure that, I'll do it later. As I recall, I got extras from HeadsUp RC; it is the same size as used in dubro small wheel collars also.

Regards
Thanks! For those interested its a 3x3mm Set screw with a 1.5 mm Hex driver/bit.
It was in my Ares manual which is the BEST manual I have come across to date. It sounds like someone wrote it who spoke English?
Sarge707 is offline Find More Posts by Sarge707