Old Jan 24, 2010, 01:03 PM
Find More Posts by ezrydr
what goes up...
Alton Iowa
Joined Aug 2006
423 Posts
Discussion
Bud Nosen P-51 Mustang kit build

*I could not figure out what would be the best forum to post this in so I put it here. Moderators, if this is not the most appropriate forum please move it to where it best fits rcgroups.com*

I like big airplanes and I like to build airplanes. I wanted to build a large P51 and electrify it. I found plans for Nosen's 102" P-51 on eBay so, with a scratch build in mind, I bought a set.

To my dismay the plans included no templates for fuselage formers or wing ribs. After a lot of searching the only source I could find for plans AND templates was http://cmsmithplans.com/html/catalog.html
$110 for plans - ouch!!

I was about ready to buy these plans when I was approached about a kit for sale. Long story short - I bought a Bud Nosen P-51 Mustang kit. Seller told me this as Nosen kit and not an A&A kit. When the kit arrived it was not in the original box so I will give the benefit of the doubt that it is a Nosen kit.

Not sure when Nosen quit cutting kits (late 70's?) but I'm guessing this kit to be 30+ years old. Most the plywood parts are severely warped. To make matters worse, the plywood for the formers is 1/8" 3 ply birch, flimsy wood for such a large plane. Even the 1/4" ply firewall was so twisted as to make it unusable.

A couple other things I noticed about the kit;
While the die-cutting was crisp the symmetry of many of the parts was poor. For example, one side of some formers would have more curve than the other side. As I built I tried to true this up as best I could. Overall quality of the balsa is good. The crisp die cutting and quality balsa lend further credence to this being a Nosen kit. A&A kits were mostly die-crushed and some of their wood was poor.

So if this is indeed a Nosen kit and based on the non-symmetrical parts, I guess Nosen kits were not as high-quality as I thought they were.

My first posts about this kit are over in the Builder's Workshop forum as I was seeking advice on how to assemble a reasonably straight airframe from such warped formers.

Here is where this project started

I am not good at remembering to take pictures every step and do not intend this to be a detailed build log but I will post progress in this thread.

What you see here has taken me 6 weeks. Slowest progress I've ever had on a model. I am using TiteBond glue for assembly as it provides the working time and strength I need to work with these warped parts. The black tape on the nose is Gorilla Tape. I used this tape a lot while building this fuse, it adheres well enough that I have been able to use as a 'clamp' on the curved surfaces.

One edge, one piece, one swear word at a time and this is what you get...

PS: I traced all the parts so I now have templates to go with the plans I bought on eBay!
ezrydr is offline Find More Posts by ezrydr
Last edited by ezrydr; Jan 24, 2010 at 05:24 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 24, 2010, 01:11 PM
Find More Posts by maxxnut
Hoarding balsa is a sickness
smokey point, wash.
Joined Dec 2003
1,272 Posts
I sold a Nosen kit many years ago, but I dont remember if the parts were as you described or not...sure was a lot of wood in the kit.

Neil
maxxnut is online now Find More Posts by maxxnut
Old Oct 14, 2010, 01:22 PM
Find More Posts by ALL American
It's Not Too Windy...Man Up
USA, CT, Wallingford
Joined Oct 2009
1,458 Posts
Ezrydr,

Any Updates on your Nosen P51 Build?

Regards,

Anthony
ALL American is offline Find More Posts by ALL American
Old Nov 02, 2010, 02:34 PM
Find More Posts by heistheman
Joined Feb 2010
19 Posts
I have a Bud Nosen 102" Mustang Kit. A big box of wood! Anyone interested?
heistheman is offline Find More Posts by heistheman
Old Nov 02, 2010, 03:39 PM
Find More Posts by turbonut
Pro Hoarder
upland CA
Joined Dec 2004
8,303 Posts
How much?..send me a PM
turbonut is offline Find More Posts by turbonut
Old Nov 02, 2010, 07:01 PM
Joined Feb 2010
19 Posts
I sold a Pica 1/5th scale P51 for $400; Looking for a fair price, this kit has a lot less die cut parts. I will upload pics and post a link here when done. Do not want to sound dumb, but what's a PM private message? If so how do I do that?
Old Nov 02, 2010, 07:22 PM
Joined Feb 2010
19 Posts
Link to Nosen 102" P51 kit pictures.

http://picasaweb.google.com/heisthem...eat=directlink
Old Mar 05, 2011, 09:18 AM
Find More Posts by donnyman
Brooklynite In Texas
Manor, TX. USA,
Joined Jul 2008
611 Posts
P51

EZRYDR

I feel better after seeing your thread!

I have the Nosen kit. bought it way back in yesteryear, my progress has been diverted so many times it is a shame. but it is on my work bench and being built up, with mod's.

I hope you haven't stopped your build, it is interesting. maybe we could stay in touch for inspiration.

Click my avatar name and look in on my blog.

meanwhile so don't stop now.....................Donny
donnyman is offline Find More Posts by donnyman
Old Mar 05, 2011, 09:30 AM
Find More Posts by ezrydr
what goes up...
Alton Iowa
Joined Aug 2006
423 Posts
Hi Donnyman
my Nosen Mustang build is sidelined for now. Hope to get back to it later this year.
The Nosen Mustang is one of those builds that will wear a guy out. At least it did me. I burned out on it and had to put it aside.
Maybe its my ADHD!

I am in no hurry with it as my flying skills are not yet to the point where I feel I could fly it anyway.

I will resume the build but I honestly don't see it being completed for at least another year (or two)

Steve
ezrydr is offline Find More Posts by ezrydr
Old Mar 05, 2011, 07:10 PM
Brooklynite In Texas
Manor, TX. USA,
Joined Jul 2008
611 Posts
I fully understand! my 40 year old son was in his mid twenties when I started mine so................Though I've built others while the p51 hung from the ceiling

I am a great starter but a poor finisher. oh well!

stay in touch! and look in on me every now and then.

Donny
Old Mar 05, 2011, 09:06 PM
Pro Hoarder
upland CA
Joined Dec 2004
8,303 Posts
Hi guys...I also have a nosen hanging in the garage...its about 80% done. I have owned it for about 10 years...got it second hand and only the wing ribs and spar were built..now it looks like a plane with some skin left to do..I did make a C model out of it with the razor back..also has a gas 62 in it...some day it will fly..
Old Mar 06, 2011, 07:31 AM
Brooklynite In Texas
Manor, TX. USA,
Joined Jul 2008
611 Posts
Turbonut

Glad you dropped in. I could use drawings for the formers to convert a second fuse. I have to the razor back version. sure would save me some time.

Seeing as we are both running gas engines you may want to switch to my blog. this thread is for electric birds. just click on my name in the upper "left" hand corner. THANKS.........DONNY
Last edited by donnyman; Mar 13, 2011 at 05:42 AM. Reason: correction
Old Mar 12, 2011, 06:19 PM
Find More Posts by eric_stevens
Joined Mar 2011
2 Posts
Kit for Sale

I have an unbuilt kit that I traded for to maybe build and well just looking at the parts realized it is beyond my skills. I have the original box and all parts ( never even removed from box by me.) i also have a copy of the plans and can get more. email me sorry to jump onto this threadm but I have no real idea where else to post for RC.
eric_stevens is offline Find More Posts by eric_stevens
Old Mar 13, 2011, 12:20 AM
Pro Hoarder
upland CA
Joined Dec 2004
8,303 Posts
Hi Donny...I will jump in when I get back in town next month...I really need to move on with the project.
Eric howmuch do you want for the kit?
Old Mar 13, 2011, 05:45 AM
Brooklynite In Texas
Manor, TX. USA,
Joined Jul 2008
611 Posts
Looking forward to it!