SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 21, 2015, 03:34 PM
Find More Posts by AlexanderB
Scratch Builder
Braunschweig, Germany
Joined Sep 2006
1,410 Posts
Well no they don't. Mine is a DC-6A. And from what I saw some windows were even covered for some reason. So it seems not to depend on the general model DC-6, DC-6A, DC-6B etc. but to the very special s/n.

I looked at different pictures to find mine including the emergency exits. I posted a couple of pics to show that.

BTW on the picture here you can see that the windows are between main STA.

Cheers Alexander
AlexanderB is offline Find More Posts by AlexanderB
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 21, 2015, 04:38 PM
Find More Posts by JPC guy
Just Plane Crazy
NW Suburbs of Chicago
Joined Feb 2010
107 Posts
The doorway on the red bull seems to be about half again as large as the other one. That could have been a customer spec. when ordered.
Or could be the difference of A to B.
JPC guy is offline Find More Posts by JPC guy
Old Jul 22, 2015, 01:17 AM
Scratch Builder
Braunschweig, Germany
Joined Sep 2006
1,410 Posts
It is indeed a difference between DC-6A (G-APSA) and DC-6B (Red Bull). The DC-6B was the passenger version and did not have the huge cargo doors. The DC-6A was merely a cargo plane when Douglas started it but soon they started using it for both passenger and cargo.

Mine is the DC-6A

Cheers Alexander
Old Jul 25, 2015, 10:47 AM
Scratch Builder
Braunschweig, Germany
Joined Sep 2006
1,410 Posts
I did three things today on my DC-6 (since we have more than 50km/h wind gusts):

1) I finished the V-Stab. The Beacon on top of it was still not mounted and the covers for the Tab actuating servo weren't in place.

2) I then built the fairing for the cables of the Trim Tab. I used 0.2mm Aluminum and prepared a little rig to do the shape. Took a dowel and sanded it a bit conical and then forced the material between two wooden pieces. First they were parallel but that did not work out. Plus I applied too much power and destroyed the thin material. But already the second approach worked out. Smooth and nicely the fairings were brought to shape. Extremely satisfied.

3) I marked the position of the red stripe using my Bosch cross line laser. Now Covering can start.

Cheers Alexander
Old Jul 26, 2015, 05:08 AM
Scratch Builder
Braunschweig, Germany
Joined Sep 2006
1,410 Posts
Next is the preparation of plating, i.e. covering.

I am lucky to have the original plating diagram which is of some help. When I started the project I had the idea to do the covering exactly the way the plating was done. But I have to realize that this will need much more work and effort. I am committed to bring her in the air. So I need come compromise here. But I still will look at the main lines so that the overall appearance resembles the original plating quite a bit.

The origin of my measures are the dividing line of the fuselage.

I prepared a sheet of paper in 1:10 scale in regards to the model to get measures from the paper and apply it directly to my covering. We will see later how this will look.

Most important is: get her done!

Cheers Alexander
Last edited by AlexanderB; Jul 26, 2015 at 06:39 AM.
Old Jul 26, 2015, 06:23 AM
Find More Posts by DH106
North UK
Joined Jun 2005
140 Posts
It so great to see you active again on the DC-6, Alexander. :-)
DH106 is offline Find More Posts by DH106