Team Twisted!
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Jun 2011
2,274 Posts
New Product
Twisted Hobbys/RcFactory F-22 Raptor / EPP Park Jet

Available Now!
cdee is offline Find More Posts by cdee
Last edited by cdee; Jun 02, 2015 at 11:21 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 02, 2015, 10:57 PM
Find More Posts by cdee
Team Twisted!
Joined Jun 2011
2,274 Posts
Introduction

Twisted Hobbys all-new 29” EPP F-22 Raptor from RcFactory! Setting new grounds for capable combat is ready for fast-paced aerobatics, fun combat or just spur of the moment flying with minimal investment. Roll rate is insane and certain maneuvers can't even be emulated by traditional airplanes. Mid fuselage mounted motor/propeller also with fully EPP design makes the Raptor almost indestructible. Like all of Twisted Hobbys foamies, the low weight and durable full EPP construction make this airplane perform great while remaining incredibly durable, all without breaking the bank. The F-22 Raptor boasts a wide speed range and quick construction, making it an ideal sport Jet for the park or just a bunch of no-frills fun for pilots of any skill level.

Model Spec’s:
  • 29” (730mm) Wing Span
  • 39" (990mm) Lenght
  • 3 channel control
  • 250g AUW

Required Components:
  • (1) 24-26g 1300-1500kv Motor
  • (1) 10-12A ESC
  • (2) 9-12g Servos
  • (1) 8x4 GWS Prop
  • (1) Micro Receiver
  • (1) 3s 750-850mah

Recommended setup:

3s 750-850mah 8x4 DD GWS Prop
Last edited by cdee; Jun 03, 2015 at 08:15 AM.
Old Jun 02, 2015, 10:58 PM
Find More Posts by cdee
Team Twisted!
Joined Jun 2011
2,274 Posts
Kit Preview

So here it is.... an EPP Pusher Jet from Twisted Hobbys and RcFactory. Have not started the build yet, but wanted to get the thread started for all those to have a look. Cracked (no pun intended) open the Box today to take some pictures to share with every one. This thing looks huge... going to need a bigger work table at some point. Anyway, it is as HOT as the pictures suggest, can not wait to get this one in the air.
cdee
Last edited by cdee; Jun 12, 2015 at 09:51 AM.
Old Jun 02, 2015, 11:01 PM
Find More Posts by cdee
Team Twisted!
Joined Jun 2011
2,274 Posts
Building the Raptor

Building the Raptor is pretty straight forward. If following the RCF Assembly manual that is currently posted on the Twisted Hobbys' website, all the same sequence of steps apply, but Welder's is recommend in place of CA in all areas of this build with the exception of the snap links.

A Twisted Hobbys Manual showing the use of Welders is in the works, but still a week or two out. In the mean time you can also post any questions here or send me a PM
cdee
Last edited by cdee; Jun 12, 2015 at 09:57 AM.
Old Jun 02, 2015, 11:36 PM
Find More Posts by cdee
Team Twisted!
Joined Jun 2011
2,274 Posts
Reserved 4
Old Jun 03, 2015, 07:57 AM
Find More Posts by Twisted Realm
United States, FL
Joined Aug 2008
4,302 Posts
Looks great Chris, looking forward in your build pics and flight report!
Twisted Realm is online now Find More Posts by Twisted Realm
Site Sponsor
Old Jun 03, 2015, 08:36 AM
Find More Posts by Ohio AV8TOR
On loan to Texas
United States, TX, Benbrook
Joined Oct 2005
5,665 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Realm View Post
Looks great Chris, looking forward in your build pics and flight report!
Yes same here.
Ohio AV8TOR is online now Find More Posts by Ohio AV8TOR
Old Jun 03, 2015, 05:25 PM
Find More Posts by Kooshball
Joined Jan 2014
178 Posts
Video?
Kooshball is offline Find More Posts by Kooshball
Old Jun 03, 2015, 05:58 PM
Find More Posts by RC4x4
Fly Low or you'll never know!
Thornton, Colorado
Joined Jul 2002
3,886 Posts
This looks interesting. May have to try one for something different.

Cory
RC4x4 is offline Find More Posts by RC4x4
Old Jun 06, 2015, 05:11 AM
Find More Posts by muidaq
Mike
USA, OH, Westerville
Joined Aug 2007
338 Posts
I absolutely loved my old blue foam version of this from days of yore, but the crashability factor was about 3 of 10. That blue stuff would just crumble on any impact. This should be a hoot.
muidaq is offline Find More Posts by muidaq
Old Jun 06, 2015, 08:48 PM
Find More Posts by cdee
Team Twisted!
Joined Jun 2011
2,274 Posts
First Day Out

Maiden:
Had a chance to take the Raptor out on a couple strafing runs this afternoon. Once the CG and trimming was all figured out, the full throttle passes were rock solid and on the deck.

Center of Gravity:
Ended with the CG right at 18.75 inches back from the tip of the nose. I expected it to be a little further back so I did some experimenting on the initial flights.

Batteries and Location:
In order to hit the CG and for the batteries to be located directly under the center of the canopy area, you can run packs that are around 90g, which will give you nice long flight time. 3s Packs in this weight rage will probably be 850 to 1000mAh.

Flight Performance:
With the TH Power Combo vertical performance was not unlimited, but still very respectable. Full power dives and passes were not ballistic, but probably about as fast as you would want to safely fly at the neighborhood park. Tight maneuvers are a breeze with no bad tendencies. EP 0804 prop was used for all the flights today.

Appearance:
On the ground and in the air this thing has a lot of presence. The color scheme is great for visibility and orientation while flying. The couple flights I did today were against a unsettled and thunderous sky, it looked great, my only regret is that the guy that usually takes the pictures and videos for me was unavailable.

Comments:
You will need an extension to put the battery far enough forward to hit the desired CG point. I have the bigger 3s packs, but what I will probably do since an extension is needed anyway, is to run two 450/3s sized packs in a saddle configuration. With 850mAh or so of capacity you can expect to get a pretty solid 5 minutes of heavy throttle use.
cdee
Last edited by cdee; Jun 06, 2015 at 08:56 PM.
Old Jun 07, 2015, 07:18 PM
Find More Posts by muidaq
Mike
USA, OH, Westerville
Joined Aug 2007
338 Posts
Am I seeing this right? Single servo on each side that controls two surfaces? I wonder what kind of funky mixing you could do with four servos?
muidaq is offline Find More Posts by muidaq
Old Jun 07, 2015, 07:31 PM
Find More Posts by cdee
Team Twisted!
Joined Jun 2011
2,274 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by muidaq View Post
Am I seeing this right? Single servo on each side that controls two surfaces? I wonder what kind of funky mixing you could do with four servos?
Yes to your first question.... kind of a standard configuration for the park jets, gives lots of authority and helps in the high alpha and slow flight maneuvers.
Have not ever tried a 4 servo set up.... but I agree that could be interesting
cdee
Old Jun 07, 2015, 09:01 PM
Find More Posts by Kooshball
Joined Jan 2014
178 Posts
Limited vertical...sounds underpowered...do you think a 1750kv would solve that or does it need more prop?
Kooshball is offline Find More Posts by Kooshball
Old Jun 08, 2015, 04:54 AM
Find More Posts by GoAround
Can't fly 3D for toffee ...
United Kingdom, Taunton
Joined Dec 2012
1,610 Posts
My CTB with an 850 3S and the same motor/prop as your F22 has an unlimited vertical and that is a fair old chunk of EPP with massive wheels hanging in the breeze. I am wondering why the F22 doesn't have the same?

Also, I have an idea for if I get one - can you please measure the vertical 'intake' gap height for me?
GoAround is offline Find More Posts by GoAround