New Products Flash Sale
Old May 13, 2015, 10:46 AM
Find More Posts by bufordbob
United States, AZ, Goodyear
Joined Nov 2011
105 Posts
Help!
Lipo summer storage question

Using my PL6 have charged all my batteries to storage charge setting,Can I leave them in my hot garage(Arizona) without too much degradation? Would be for approx 5 months. Don't want them inside the house or in my refrigerator. They are stored in fire proof boxes from Walmart.

Questions,comments??

BTW temps are in the triple digit range,just like regular freight and storage warehouses .

Bob
bufordbob is offline Find More Posts by bufordbob
to remove ads between posts
Old May 13, 2015, 01:09 PM
Find More Posts by traxx de maxx
uk
Joined Nov 2010
446 Posts
personally i'd sell them or give them to a local club. Then in 5 months buy some more. That way you have fresh batteries and nothing to worry about in that 5 months.
traxx de maxx is offline Find More Posts by traxx de maxx
Old May 13, 2015, 05:22 PM
Find More Posts by JohnWilliamson
Joined May 2010
373 Posts
Mine are discharged to 40 to 45 percent and go in an old fridge in the garage set to about 5C whenever I am not using them. Some are years old.

Leave one fully charged overnight and you will likely see it swell slightly...
JohnWilliamson is offline Find More Posts by JohnWilliamson
Old May 13, 2015, 10:27 PM
Find More Posts by Gregor99
Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
2,438 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bufordbob View Post
UCan I leave them in my hot garage(Arizona) without too much degradation?
Not likely. Even at storage voltage it can get quite hot in the Az. That's not good for the batteries. What temperature does your garage get to?
Gregor99 is online now Find More Posts by Gregor99
Old May 13, 2015, 10:57 PM
Find More Posts by rocketsled666
If it flies, I can crash it.
Joined May 2012
813 Posts
A battery makes electricity via a chemical reaction. It self-discharges for the same reason. In almost every chemical reaction, heat accelerates the speed of the reaction. There's an equation for this, discovered by a guy named Arrhenius, named after him. It's exponential. A battery will self-discharge much faster at 100F than it would at 40F. The question is "how much faster"? We'd need some specific details to calculate this, and I don't have them. But many electronic devices behave similarly. Assuming a LiPo falls in to this category, you probably lose half the shelf life for every 10F. Meaning, if the battery would have lasted 2 years at a starting voltage of 3.8V, ending at 3.0V, it might only last 1/64th that, or about 9 months at 100F.

So if you're only talking 2 or 3 months of storage, you should be fine. If you're looking at 6 or more months, though, you should probably reconsider where/how you store these batteries.
rocketsled666 is online now Find More Posts by rocketsled666
Old May 14, 2015, 04:48 AM
Find More Posts by ggcrandall1
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Aug 2005
7,060 Posts
Put your fireproof boxes into a styrofoam cooler and once a week you put in a cold pack from your freezer. That should keep the temps down to a reasonable level.

Glen
ggcrandall1 is offline Find More Posts by ggcrandall1