HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 13, 2012, 10:20 PM
Joined Jul 2009
63 Posts
MatCat, why not just use the DSM2/DSMX receiver with satellite?
You can get the raw data in the satellite serial data line without
measuring PWM.

About the IO port on Devo8, why not just modify the firmware and
you don't need any extra arduino. The ARM chip in Devo8 is much
better than arduino atmega 8bit any way. You have better integrated
UI.
printk is offline Find More Posts by printk
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 13, 2012, 10:21 PM
Joined Jan 2012
682 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalMatCat View Post
Actually even better then all this guessing, I will just experiment and report back.

And a side note, is there any easily accessable IO method on the Devo 8 hardware? An unused UART, or SPI or I2C bus? Anything I could connect an external arduino to and have 2 way communication to the radio?
the USART (trainer port) can be used for IO. I eventually plan to allow using it as an input in this way in Deviation, but that code is not there today.
The SPI bus (there are 2 in use) can be expanded to additional devices without much difficulty.

But honestly, for what you want to do, wouldn't it be better to just buy 2 Devo8s upgrade modules, and use one in the Tx and one in the Rx? each hooked to an arduino? Deviation has several protocols implemented, so you could choose whichever you like. The protocol code should be pretty easy to port to run on arduino, so you don't need to roll your own, and the module speaks SPI.
PhracturedBlue is offline Find More Posts by PhracturedBlue
Old Nov 13, 2012, 10:26 PM
Better then Sliced Bread!
United States, CA, Arcata
Joined Oct 2011
2,649 Posts
Well ultimately I am designing and working on my own 433mhz link, so the actual Devo hardware isn't much concern to me other then being a 'controller' with a usable GUI . But it's going to be a month or more before I have that finished, so until then I will just hack the radio firmware to do the more advancd things I want and have arduino on plane decoding it, once I have my 433 up and running the onboard arduino will just be connected to it instead and still do it's thing.

It's good to know the trainer port is a full UART, that will come in handy once I have my 433 radio finished and allow me to really use the screen for good potential rofl.

Any code work I do will be on my GIT repo, I need to update it to the current codebase yet hehe.
NorCalMatCat is offline Find More Posts by NorCalMatCat
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Let'sFPV UBEC 1 WEEK SALE
Old Nov 15, 2012, 07:27 AM
Joined Sep 2012
21 Posts
deviationtx website down?

Can't reach the pages ?!
m8ychris is offline Find More Posts by m8ychris
Old Nov 15, 2012, 07:40 AM
Joined Jan 2012
682 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by m8ychris View Post
Can't reach the pages ?!
Yeah. My hosting provider shut down deviationtx because they screwed up my payment (no fault of my own). I'm working on getting it resolved.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 08:31 AM
...muy bien...
Germany, BW, Pforzheim
Joined Jul 2012
186 Posts
X-ing fingers :thumbup:
rcgchris is offline Find More Posts by rcgchris
Old Nov 15, 2012, 10:18 AM
Joined Nov 2012
26 Posts
at least its slightly better than when statefarm randomly decided to cancel my friends insurance for no reason. They had even taken out his autodraft payment the next day and didn't tell him and couldn't tell him why
quikster is offline Find More Posts by quikster
Old Nov 15, 2012, 12:06 PM
Joined Jan 2012
682 Posts
So, I've been thinking about what to do with my Devo7. It is really too limited to be worth a Deviation port, so I was thinking of upgrading the screen. It turns out that finding a screen with a backlight that will fit in the chassis isn't so easy, however, I have one of these:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/STM32F103RBT...-/170782669105
The screen can be detached from the back and fits quite well (though I'm not sure if I can make it touch-enabled because the devo7 has a plastic shield over the display window)

So now I'm considering a total-conversion.

Take a devo7, rip out the main board, replace it with the above, and build a harness to connect the controls to the board. I think I have enough I/O to do so, and it would result in a color Devo7 with USB, SD-card, and (maybe) touch.

Is there any interest in a project like this? for ~$25 and a bit of soldering, you'd have a pretty nice system. It would (of course) run Deviation. The Devo7 chassis is the same as the Devo10, and can handle 2 more toggles and 2 more pots as well.

(Note that the above board is more limited than a Devo8 with less RAM and ROM, so it would likely be more limited in capability than Deviation is, but hopefully not by too much).
Old Nov 15, 2012, 12:16 PM
flying beam
through the Looking Glass
Joined Apr 2008
1,658 Posts
This would be a great addition to the project.

Even more that the WK-2403 and 2603 share " almost the same case", and could maybe be used to that end.

If I'm not mistaken they use an almost identical cyrf module without telemetry.

I have a 2603 and it would be cool to use deviation on it after a board conversion.

I was thinking about converting my 2603 to er9x using this :

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-ATMEL-AT...efaultDomain_0

But the lcd being a serial one and me being no programer it was a no go.
blackmoon is offline Find More Posts by blackmoon
Last edited by blackmoon; Nov 15, 2012 at 12:24 PM.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 12:26 PM
Joined Nov 2012
26 Posts
That would be really cool. Then I wouldn't necessarily have to dump my devo 7
Old Nov 15, 2012, 12:36 PM
Joined Jan 2012
682 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmoon View Post
This would be a great addition to the project.

Even more that the WK-2403 and 2603 share " almost the same case", and could maybe be used to that end.
I'm not sure that those radios have an SPI Tx module, so you may also need the $13 Devo8s module. But I've never seen inside one, so I can't really say. I also am not sure how the controls are wired up. At some point what you have is a general Tx platform that can interface with any Tx. I'd prefer to use a development board with slightly more resources if I was going that routem, but this is the one I happen to have on hand.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 01:03 PM
Joined Jan 2012
682 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhracturedBlue View Post
Yeah. My hosting provider shut down deviationtx because they screwed up my payment (no fault of my own). I'm working on getting it resolved.
Well, now I'm severely pissed. Apparently they wiped my entire account.
I have a backup from Monday of the website (phew), but it appears I need to reinstall and reconfigure everything all over again. May be a little while before everything is up and going again.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 01:25 PM
Joined Nov 2012
26 Posts
Quote:
I have a backup from Monday of the website (phew), but it appears I need to reinstall and reconfigure everything all over again. May be a little while before everything is up and going again.
Wow they'd better be giving you some free time or something
Old Nov 15, 2012, 01:48 PM
Joined May 2011
655 Posts
Quote:
I have a yesterday morning backup at work, which I can upload to you tomorrow...
FDR_ is offline Find More Posts by FDR_
Old Nov 15, 2012, 02:38 PM
United States, MI, East Tawas
Joined Aug 2011
120 Posts
Quote:
Wow. Did you ask them to see if they could restore? Any respectable hosting provider would be able to do this. If not, I would question whether or not I would utilize them again.

Also, what about going to something that supports Tapatalk?
j35u5fr34k is offline Find More Posts by j35u5fr34k