Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
View Poll Results: How much foam do you consume?
1 bundle or less per year 83 33.88%
1-2 bundles per year 98 40.00%
2-6 bundles per year 42 17.14%
1-2 bundles per month 7 2.86%
2-4 bundles per month 4 1.63%
4 or more bundles per month 11 4.49%
Voters: 245. You may not vote on this poll

Old Nov 20, 2011, 05:26 PM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,386 Posts
RJKIRK,
You have done some homework here, and you have presented a solid marketing case, but what do I know. Just that you have me sold already. It makes good sense as you say for Adams, as they are not foriegn to boxing there product. Also you have eloquently presented a solution to broadening the marketablilty into the craft segment.

I expect to hear from Adam some time this week.

Kudos to you,
Ken
dz1sfb is online now Find More Posts by dz1sfb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mini H Quad Project
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 20, 2011, 06:01 PM
Columbus Ohio.
Joined Aug 2006
151 Posts
I forgot to add schools...there lots of websites that handle primary and secondary school art supplies...paper, glues, paints, crayons etc.
Also the college bookstores...art...architecture...etc. etc.
RJKIRK is offline Find More Posts by RJKIRK
Old Nov 20, 2011, 06:28 PM
ɹǝsn pǝɹǝʇsıƃǝɹ - inverted!
USA, SC, Greer
Joined Jul 2008
3,243 Posts
I've been buying two bundles a year. I have others asking where they can buy as well.
DaDesign is offline Find More Posts by DaDesign
Old Nov 20, 2011, 07:09 PM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,386 Posts
Just based on the poll respondants at this time, it looks to be around 1057 bundles per year. That is 2 semi loads. Not a tremendous amount, but nothing to sneeze at considering this is just one thread on one forum. I believe this is a very small sampling of the potential.

Ken
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 21, 2011, 11:08 AM
Flying Models for 51 Years!
Georgia, United States
Joined Oct 2002
781 Posts
I think that if Adams made a Foam Board product that suites the needs of the RC Modeling community, they would sell a lot more than the Poll shows. Back when I could easily get original FFF with paper on both sides I went through a bundle in a few months. Now I have to conserve my Foam supply. So, if I had the Foam and didn't have to conserve I would build a lot more. I might even buy a Phlatprinter

Bobby
Sixter is offline Find More Posts by Sixter
Old Nov 21, 2011, 12:12 PM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,386 Posts
I had contact with R L Adams today. They are looking at this thread and passed along a response that they will see if they can come up with a plan.

Ken
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 21, 2011, 03:28 PM
Re-Kitting Expert :o
Bullhead City, Arizona
Joined Jan 2005
1,666 Posts
As a retailer, I would be willing to take 10 - 12 bundles and be able to offer it to those who live in the south west. Maybe being able to offer a discount to those willing to take a minimum of 10 or 12, would help get the quantities up to the point that the company might be more interested..
GorillaBob is offline Find More Posts by GorillaBob
Old Nov 22, 2011, 08:21 PM
Canada, AB, Olds
Joined Apr 2011
94 Posts
@RJ Kirk --- Tremendous bit of research and a great explanation of it sir! I have subscribed to this thread and will be watching it with interest.
Rob Mackenzie is offline Find More Posts by Rob Mackenzie
Old Nov 23, 2011, 09:46 AM
Cobra Driver
Roxboro, NC
Joined Dec 2005
266 Posts
Personally I don't mind the folded sheets. It's the waves and perforations I'd like to get rid of. I use the folds as the leading edges of wings that have an airfoil or KFm type wing. Saves a lot of time when it's already pre folded for me.

But I'm interested in at least a bundle or two whether it's in individual sheets or folded.
RedTwilight is offline Find More Posts by RedTwilight
Old Nov 24, 2011, 09:57 AM
Flying Models for 51 Years!
Georgia, United States
Joined Oct 2002
781 Posts
The majority of the Molders seem to want a Foam Board that is basically the same as the Fan Fold but without the print, waves and perforations. So, what about the paper on the foam. Myself, I prefer paper on both sides. It makes the foam stiffer so there is little to no need for carbon support and it makes a good finish. If you don't like the paper it can be peeled off! Also, I think white would be a good neutral color. Comments welcome
Sixter is offline Find More Posts by Sixter
Old Nov 27, 2011, 10:39 AM
Cleveland, Ohio
Joined Sep 2006
640 Posts
hope to see something come of this I currently buy at least 6 cases of 3mm depron from RC Foam a year. I would love to find a foam of this nature for proto typing and potential kit making, good luck on your attempt!
xtremeRCpilot is offline Find More Posts by xtremeRCpilot
Old Nov 27, 2011, 11:43 AM
electron fly'r
United States, AZ, Green Valley
Joined Jul 2010
59 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixter View Post
The majority of the Molders seem to want a Foam Board that is basically the same as the Fan Fold but without the print, waves and perforations. So, what about the paper on the foam. Myself, I prefer paper on both sides. It makes the foam stiffer so there is little to no need for carbon support and it makes a good finish. If you don't like the paper it can be peeled off! Also, I think white would be a good neutral color. Comments welcome
I presently use Dow fan fold tissue coated both sides for all the same above reasons. ie;ditto above.
keithflyer_az is offline Find More Posts by keithflyer_az
Old Nov 27, 2011, 11:46 AM
electron fly'r
United States, AZ, Green Valley
Joined Jul 2010
59 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GorillaBob View Post
As a retailer, I would be willing to take 10 - 12 bundles and be able to offer it to those who live in the south west. Maybe being able to offer a discount to those willing to take a minimum of 10 or 12, would help get the quantities up to the point that the company might be more interested..
Bob; that would be great if we here in SW had a good supplier. I know several guys here in the PHX area would send you an order tomorrow.
keithflyer_az is offline Find More Posts by keithflyer_az
Old Nov 27, 2011, 11:56 AM
RMS
Westport, MA
Joined Oct 2004
872 Posts
My xmas wish.............make it happen!!!!
RMS is offline Find More Posts by RMS
Old Nov 27, 2011, 02:41 PM
The world in foam & tissue
United States, NY, Rochester
Joined May 2010
615 Posts
Amen to it being white! I do the printed tissue thing but I hate painting foam white to do it! I'd actually buy more foam and probably kits from those who used it! I think once it was out the demand would grow even more so as builds were logged and blogged here on RCG.
Rasterize is offline Find More Posts by Rasterize