HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 02, 2011, 12:12 PM
Joined Aug 2010
359 Posts
Discussion
raster to vector converter

I am looking for a free raster to vector converter that I think I saw somewhere on here. Used for enlarging plans without loss of detail.
tlar633 is offline Find More Posts by tlar633
to remove ads between posts
Old May 02, 2011, 12:21 PM
Dr John
Lake Placid, Florida
Joined Dec 2001
2,712 Posts
Search for WinTopo
pmpjohn is offline Find More Posts by pmpjohn
Old May 02, 2011, 04:48 PM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,415 Posts
You will usually get a lot of loss/error when you convert a raster drawing to vector. If the original raster drawing is especially clear and high resolution the conversion might be reasonably good (but if so it would blow up fine anyway). Older plans, especially those originally hand drawn don't vectorise very well at all. Invariably I've found that it's easier just to re-draw them in a vector program.

You best bet is simply to blow up the original raster drawing.. If the quality of the original drawing means that the larger version is lacking some 'crispness' then it would never have vectorised very well anyway.

Steve
JetPlaneFlyer is offline Find More Posts by JetPlaneFlyer
Old May 02, 2011, 09:43 PM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,553 Posts
Steve's right, I tried wintopo on a threeview of an Otter. I finally gave up and imported the image into Sketchup then traced over it to get a clean vector image to work up templates.
springer is online now Find More Posts by springer
RCG Plus Member
Old May 03, 2011, 06:42 AM
Dr John
Lake Placid, Florida
Joined Dec 2001
2,712 Posts
I find it much easier to trace over a vector image than a raster picture. "Snap to" commands work with a vector image and not with a raster pic. Snap to a point at each end of a line and you have a solid line. Snap to several points along a curve and you have the curve. A raster pic has no points to snap to.

John
Old May 03, 2011, 07:30 AM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,415 Posts
John,
That's a good point.. The ability to 'snap' makes re-drawing in CAD easier but the big issue i would have if the vector you are tracing over was generated from a raster conversion then the points you are snapping to wont be placed accurately. You will end up with lines that arenít orthographic or parallel to one another (but should be), ribs and formers etc that are different thicknesses, etc etc.. Basically the final drawing won't be dimensionally precise, you will just end up duplicating the combined inaccuracy of the original drawing, scanning distortion, and vector conversion.

I'd rather just use the raster as a guide, generally tracing over it but placing my new lines accurately.

Steve
JetPlaneFlyer is offline Find More Posts by JetPlaneFlyer
Old May 03, 2011, 08:10 AM
Dr John
Lake Placid, Florida
Joined Dec 2001
2,712 Posts
There are many ways to skin a cat. Usually it is a combination of methods that works best. I draw to go to the Laser. The OP asked for a Raster to Vector converter ( free ). I sent him to WinTopo as I have used it with varying degrees of success depending on the quality of the original image. I made no statement as to the suitability of the software in regards to his specific needs. It is one of many tools in my bag that has come in handy for certain projects.

John
drjohnslaser.com
Old May 03, 2011, 02:05 PM
Registered FFF Addict
Grand Junction, Colorado
Joined Dec 2007
2,930 Posts
Ya tracing the raster plan in SU or Corel Draw is the way I do it. Even Corel's trace program does a terrible job of vectorizing and it is not free be any means.
larryross is offline Find More Posts by larryross