HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 28, 2011, 10:21 PM
United States, MI, Marquette
Joined Dec 2010
208 Posts
Discussion
GP Fundango brushless mount

Hi all.

I really want to build a plane from a kit, and i am thinking the Fundango looks like a good first build as there are fewer parts than most others. My question is on the motor mounting. When using a brushless motor like some others have do you still need to use the gearbox from Great Planes or is it fashioned on some other way.

I have been flying foamies for for about 4 months now and really want to get into building as it was my main reason for starting this hobby.

thanks
Taget is offline Find More Posts by Taget
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: CNC Machine update.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 28, 2011, 10:45 PM
Joined Aug 2006
143 Posts
It doesn't look to be too hard, just by looking at the manual you have a few different options. You could one just use a firewall mount motor with the stock mount providing it fits, or use it as a template and cut your own larger mount from lite ply. Though if it were me I would also make a gusset running from the back of the mount to the stick.

The easier might be to just use a standard stick mount and adapt it to fit the round stick fuselage, all it would take is some simple shimming to get it to fit right. Though I am unsure of the diameter of the fuse stick to see if the stick mount would fit.
mpotter187 is offline Find More Posts by mpotter187
Old Jan 29, 2011, 12:14 AM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
United States, AK, Fairbanks
Joined Aug 2009
12,389 Posts
If GP provides a gearbox, you could probably also just take the spur gear off and bolt an outrunner right to the gearbox itself but run the prop direct-drive. I'd have to see it to know what I'm talking about for sure....

Or you could just get an inrunner and run it with the gearbox instead of the stock brushed motor, I guess...
C₄H₁₀ is offline Find More Posts by C₄H₁₀
Old Jan 29, 2011, 07:47 AM
United States, MI, Marquette
Joined Dec 2010
208 Posts
Thanks for the input. Think I will try the
Gearbox without the gearing.
Taget is offline Find More Posts by Taget
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: CNC Machine update.