Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Sep 09, 2013, 08:24 PM
Sunnyvale
Joined Feb 2009
4,996 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcalldaylong View Post
Cool! Thank You.

I'm running 1000mah 4S 30C Turnigy, and it comes down HOT, so I'm going to try the 5.25x4.5. I suspect it's going to be too small on 3s though; and, i definitely need something to warm up before hitting the 4S.
It is very close to the stock size so it may not be bad on 3s at all... try it out and see.
gooniac33 is online now Find More Posts by gooniac33
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 10, 2013, 01:28 AM
SF Bay Area
Joined Jan 2013
232 Posts
Quote:
Cool! Thank You.

I'm running 1000mah 4S 30C Turnigy, and it comes down HOT, so I'm going to try the 5.25x4.5. I suspect it's going to be too small on 3s though; and, i definitely need something to warm up before hitting the 4S.
I melted the engine out of my plane running the stock setup on 4s...can't imagine what 6x4 would do.

It's pulling the same 20amps, but seems slower than when I had the stock ESC on it. Running an F-30 now for overhead...maybe I need to check timing. The only other change was the stock spinner got crushed, so it has a metal collet.

Got this video right before the engine started to come unglued.

Funfighter Aft View 4s Vertical (2 min 18 sec)
gsking is offline Find More Posts by gsking
Old Sep 10, 2013, 02:05 AM
Dude, I do fly all day long!
San Jose, California
Joined Dec 2007
5,828 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsking View Post
I melted the engine out of my plane running the stock setup on 4s...can't imagine what 6x4 would do.

It's pulling the same 20amps, but seems slower than when I had the stock ESC on it. Running an F-30 now for overhead...maybe I need to check timing. The only other change was the stock spinner got crushed, so it has a metal collet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFWqpbGO-G4

hmmmm....weird that it got that hot at 20amps. What was the outside temp?

On 6x4, WOT is roughly 30amps and settles to 25amps after the first 30secs or so. And believe me, I WOT a lot. I average about 2mins 30 secs on the 1000mah 4s. And get this, the Lipo comes down hotter than the motor . But both aren't really all that hot. I can put my finger on either motor or Lipo and just hold it there indefinitely...so that'll give you an idea on heat.

On 3S, it's doing about 23amps. comes down warm to the touch.

I'm flying mine in the morning and temps are ~65 or so.

Never radar mine, but I'd say with 6x4, it's gotta be in the high 90, if not low 100's. And going vertical, blink and it's gone.
rcalldaylong is offline Find More Posts by rcalldaylong
Old Sep 10, 2013, 11:04 AM
Vienna, Austria
Joined Apr 2007
1,902 Posts
motor running hot - might be the bearings...

I've had motors running hot: the EMAX 2805 in a Microjet, and the 2812 in a Funjet. Turned out that, being run as pushers, the bearings got tightened too much, and the grub screws were holding the bell in the squeezed position.
Solution: Loosen the grub screw on the bell, give a bit of freeplay (and lube the bearings), and tighten again. They both run completely cool now.
I suspect that the crash squeezed the bearings. Gotta loosen things up, and it will be fine. My Spitfire Funfighter motor stays completely cool (on 3s, WOT), it surely wouldn't really get overly hot on 4s either...
mopetista is offline Find More Posts by mopetista
Old Sep 10, 2013, 01:39 PM
Sunnyvale
Joined Feb 2009
4,996 Posts
Quote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFWqpbGO-G4
I love it when the cams are mounted facing rearward! You can see much more that way. Great job!

I have gotten over 60amps out of the stock motor and never once melted anything... Not saying that they don't fry but mine never have and I have had 5 motors total. Timing and cooling have a lot to do with it too of course. Keep them cool and you can get away with a lot...
Old Sep 10, 2013, 02:00 PM
Dude, I do fly all day long!
San Jose, California
Joined Dec 2007
5,828 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gooniac33 View Post
I love it when the cams are mounted facing rearward! You can see much more that way. Great job!

I have gotten over 60amps out of the stock motor and never once melted anything... Not saying that they don't fry but mine never have and I have had 5 motors total. Timing and cooling have a lot to do with it too of course. Keep them cool and you can get away with a lot...
60amps

what's that setup? I might try it.
rcalldaylong is offline Find More Posts by rcalldaylong
Old Sep 10, 2013, 02:05 PM
United Kingdom, England, Bisley
Joined Oct 2010
87 Posts
My pc-21 arrived today! Box crushed, fuselage had a small dent on its belly and wing root trailing edge is a little scuffed on one side.
But on the whole the gamble of getting an rc plane delivered to the UK from China paid off. I am well chuffed with the look of this aircraft.
Just got to flatten the tailplane/elevator as it has the standard droop.
ledzep76 is offline Find More Posts by ledzep76
Old Sep 10, 2013, 06:35 PM
That will simply buff out
Australia, NSW, Kareela
Joined Jul 2001
285 Posts
Maiden of my PC21 last week

With the issues with the elevator the first flight saw the plane hit the ground (too much down elevator with the droopy tail feathers) and get up into the sky

Seemed serious down on performance and did not sound correct

Finally landed it and saw that 1/2 of one side of the APC prop was missing, and also the motor mount was loose Not a good start

Replaced the prop, adjusted the elevators and re-glued the mount and off we go again. Hand launch no drama and off she goes

Look great in the air, and looks like it may have the potential to be pretty quick. Need to give it more elevator travel and a bit more aileron as well as the loops were pretty big and rolls need to be faster.

Please please Sky Angel and Hobbyb fix the issue with the elevator either by stopping the paint from warping the part, or not painting the part, or providing an un-painted kit as there is for some of the 50mm EDFs like the Screamer
Boofhead is online now Find More Posts by Boofhead
Old Sep 11, 2013, 08:35 AM
SF Bay Area
Joined Jan 2013
232 Posts
Quote:
hmmmm....weird that it got that hot at 20amps. What was the outside temp?

On 6x4, WOT is roughly 30amps and settles to 25amps after the first 30secs or so. And believe me, I WOT a lot. I average about 2mins 30 secs on the 1000mah 4s. And get this, the Lipo comes down hotter than the motor . But both aren't really all that hot. I can put my finger on either motor or Lipo and just hold it there indefinitely...so that'll give you an idea on heat.

On 3S, it's doing about 23amps. comes down warm to the touch.

I'm flying mine in the morning and temps are ~65 or so.

Never radar mine, but I'd say with 6x4, it's gotta be in the high 90, if not low 100's. And going vertical, blink and it's gone.
Well, maybe it didn't melt out. The motor wasn't that hot...but the hotglue bonds failed. Maybe it was a different plane I read about that had the heat of the motor cause a glue failure.

But in any case, the bonds came loose. The foam wasn't really melted. I CA'd one side after it started to come off. Then after the last hot flight, all three had come loose, causing the motor to move. The thrust line change made me lose trim, so I noticed something was going wrong. As I came in for an emergency landing, the prop started rubbing on the cowling and almost chewed through it. So it could have been a lot worse.

But if I'm only pulling 12 watts on 3S and 20 watts on 4s, I should be UNDERstressing that mount (thermally and physically). I flew 6x4 once I think on 3S, but didn't dare try it on 4S on the stock ESC. Guess I need to give it a run.

I use the 6x4 with MUCH better results than the stock prop on my stock Radjet which uses a similar motor. Even 6x5.5 works well and still pulls less than 20amps...although, on that plane I'm pretty sure my ESC isn't maximizing RPM or it would be over 20amps.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 09:20 AM
Just thumbing through...
United States, SC, Simpsonville
Joined Feb 2009
4,374 Posts
The motor mount glue is not very reliable. I had one go wobbly after a few flights. I removed it, scraped off all the soft glue. Drilled a few small holes in the mount arms, and punched a few indentations in the foam for better keying of glue, used 5min epoxy. No problem at over 30amps (not watts!)
victapilot is online now Find More Posts by victapilot
Old Sep 11, 2013, 03:14 PM
SF Bay Area
Joined Jan 2013
232 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by victapilot View Post
The motor mount glue is not very reliable. I had one go wobbly after a few flights. I removed it, scraped off all the soft glue. Drilled a few small holes in the mount arms, and punched a few indentations in the foam for better keying of glue, used 5min epoxy. No problem at over 30amps (not watts!)
Running 6x4 as well on the stock motor?
Old Sep 11, 2013, 04:15 PM
Sunnyvale
Joined Feb 2009
4,996 Posts
Quote:
60amps

what's that setup? I might try it.
I was trying out different props on 3s and I got that reading with a 7X6 prop on 4s.... yep this is one hell of a motor!! But I wouldn't recommend flying it in that config.

Quote:
Good idea with the motor mount!! And if all else fails get the replacement from Morgan Mills. that is damn near bulletproof!!
Old Sep 11, 2013, 04:18 PM
Just thumbing through...
Joined Feb 2009
4,374 Posts
Quote:
Running 6x4 as well on the stock motor?
No, I was thinking of my Rare Bear, with a 450 heli motor and a 4.7x4.5 carbon APC 400 speed prop it goes 37Amp on 3S. I just tested to confirm on a half charged battery. It does have the stock motor mount, but re-glued as I mentioned earlier. The 450 heli motors have screw mount locations that are identical to the stock motor, but I did have to reverse the shaft, and run with a collet adapter.

My bf109 has the stock motor with a 5.5x4.5 APC E prop. It pulls 15A on 3s, and 24A on 4s.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 08:48 AM
SF Bay Area
Joined Jan 2013
232 Posts
Quote:
No, I was thinking of my Rare Bear, with a 450 heli motor and a 4.7x4.5 carbon APC 400 speed prop it goes 37Amp on 3S. I just tested to confirm on a half charged battery. It does have the stock motor mount, but re-glued as I mentioned earlier. The 450 heli motors have screw mount locations that are identical to the stock motor, but I did have to reverse the shaft, and run with a collet adapter.

My bf109 has the stock motor with a 5.5x4.5 APC E prop. It pulls 15A on 3s, and 24A on 4s.
Zowie. I was wondering if I'd ever find a setup to use a spare 3500kv heli motor I have. Guess I could work on it. Maybe build up one of my radjet kits that way...zoom....

Hmm...still a bit higher power than mine pulls...wonder if that's just a better prop than stock.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 03:01 PM
Just thumbing through...
Joined Feb 2009
4,374 Posts
Quote:
Zowie. I was wondering if I'd ever find a setup to use a spare 3500kv heli motor I have. Guess I could work on it. Maybe build up one of my radjet kits that way...zoom....

Hmm...still a bit higher power than mine pulls...wonder if that's just a better prop than stock.
The APC props are stiffer and better balanced, in my experience. The carbon ones are stiff and thin. There are many reasons for slight differences in result, battery, ESC, motor, receiver setting for wot, and variance in manufacture.