HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 21, 2003, 12:02 AM
Must cancel PayPal acct!
AZ
Joined Mar 2003
1,077 Posts
Need help with reconfiguring a Kokam 3s2p Pack Please (in AZ)

Hello All,

I purchased a 3s2p pack of Kokam 1020 cells configured into a single pack and now I'd like to break the pack apart and configured it as either three 2s1p packs or two 3s1p packs. I don't have much experience with soldering and I haven't put any packs together. Can someone help me with this. I'd even be willing to spend a few bucks if someone would be willing to make the change for me. I'd prefer someone with experience building lipoly packs.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Drivie

Here's a pic of the pack:
Drivie is offline Find More Posts by Drivie
Last edited by Drivie; May 21, 2003 at 08:50 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 21, 2003, 08:49 PM
Must cancel PayPal acct!
AZ
Joined Mar 2003
1,077 Posts
Nobody has any advice for me?

Please...

Drivie
Old May 22, 2003, 05:51 AM
Joined Jan 2002
6,587 Posts
Drivie,

We can't tell much from the photo you supplied.
Do the cells have circuit boards, or are the connections by means of wiring soldered directly to the tabs?
Would your supplier be willing to reconstruct them for you?
Generally speaking, soldering proficiency is a necessary skill if you are going to avoid a lot of frustration in eflight. There are several threads re pack construction here on ezone - a study of them and some practice soldering will be helpful and rewarding for you.

Good luck!

RD
RD Blakeslee is offline Find More Posts by RD Blakeslee
Old May 22, 2003, 07:44 AM
United States, NY, Spencerport
Joined Oct 2001
2,801 Posts
What other advice can we possibly give besides, "Learn to solder?" There's a lot of discussion on soldering LiPoly cells in this group to draw from.

You'll need to remove the shrinkwrap from the pack in order to see how the cells are soldered together. Hopefully they are newer cells with the PC boards attached. Soldering directly to the aluminum tabs is not easy. You need this "Solder-It" aluminum soldering paste that everyone seems to be talking about in other threads.

Also, decide on what you really want. Do you want two 3S1P packs, or three 2S1P packs? The 3S1P packs are easy to do: Simply separate the two parallel packs, and solder battery leads to each pack. The 2S1P packs are also fairly easy; you can make two of them by simply separating two series-connected cells from each 3S1P pack and soldering a battery lead to each. The third will require you to solder the remaining single cells together.

To separate packs, simply touch a hot soldering iron to the connection, and pull them apart. Be careful and avoid crossing wires or short-circuiting the cells.

If you have aluminum tabs, there might be enough solder on them to allow you to use normal solder to make connections in the new configurations.
mkirsch1 is offline Find More Posts by mkirsch1
Old May 22, 2003, 08:01 AM
Chandler Williams, Arizona, United States
Joined Nov 2002
1,239 Posts
Quote:
I purchased a 3s2p pack of Kokam 1020 cells configured into a single pack and now I'd like to break the pack apart and configured it as either three 2s1p packs or two 3s1p packs. I don't have much experience with soldering and I haven't put any packs together.
Drivie. If you really dont want to do it, call d&d and ask denise. Due to my lack of experience with lipos, she offered to expand a pack for me, I'm sure she'll be more than happy to help.

Hope that helps.

Kenny
Rip-N-Burn is offline Find More Posts by Rip-N-Burn
Old May 22, 2003, 09:04 AM
Must cancel PayPal acct!
AZ
Joined Mar 2003
1,077 Posts
Thanks for the replies guys,

I have soldered some but I don't consider myself to be very good at it. I had no problems adding connectors to my packs and ESC but I was under the impression that Lipo packs were a little more challenging to solder and since these are already together as a pack, I figured that would probably make things even more difficult so that's why I'm asking.

Thanks for the advice Kenny. I may do that.

Drivie