Old Aug 19, 2009, 08:32 PM
Speed cost money.
United States, FL, Marathon
Joined Dec 2002
3,044 Posts
Discussion
Flight report from Holland PA 8/19

Hi all,

Back in 2000 I bought a kit (Electra) Basically a E powered version of a gentle lady.

Well I built the first half about 6 years ago. I finished it up this spring and it has been waiting to see the sky for several months. Now I should add I really did not do a great job building it although I did ok on the Monocoat.

Well I ditched the Brushed 600 that came with the kit (It had a on/off switch for the motor LOL)

I put in a cheap Chinese outrunner KA 36-16M and a 10" folding prop, that along with a 2500MAH 10C lipo is the power train. With all of that it came out much lighter then the stock motor/battery. I think it's CG is about 1" back of where it should be. But being that it is a clunker so to speak I said oh well and went for a flight anyways.

It was about 90 degrees and sunny/humid today.

With almost no wind I push the throttle to about 25% and gave her a toss. Got my hands on the sticks and as she was just kind waffling around. Push the throttle forward to about 75% and wow, She picked up speed in a hurry and started to nose up. I had to feed in quite a bit of down elevator to keep the climb path proper. Turned out about 10 seconds of run time with a 70 degree climb angle had her to height.

Now I start trimmer her out. Oh wait she really did not need any, she just glided nice and level. First turn I learned that the I had to much rudder, So I let her glide for a few minutes and had a nice smooth landing.

Setup some DR on the Rudder, I put it on a 3 position switch. 100%,75%,50%. Turns out that 50% works real nice for soaring. but 75% is a little better for landing. My field is not all that big.

A few more flights later I have mixed in some throttle/ Down elevator. Turned out 25% was about right and now she only noses up a little at partial throttle and not at all at full throttle.

Did a loop and then landed for a fresh battey pack. (There was no thermals and the ESC that I put in does not have LVC for Lipo.)

Next pack I made several 10 second climbs. Flew for about 25 Min, before I was just to hot to continue. Packed everything up and came home. Put the pack on the charger to see how much I had used.

800MAH for the 25 min flight. I did not find any thermals. There was some spotty lift, but I probably found as much spotty sink.

All in all, for a plane that I just slapped togeather I was quite happy. It flies slow, Will go almost vertical on 3/4 throttle. On a day without any wind I should be about to get about 1 hr flights before I should to swap packs.

I might set this one up as a trainer as it flies very slow and smooth.

Highflier

I wish that the designers on these E-gliders would put a longer nose on the plane. I could do with 1/2 the motor and 1/2 the battery that I have in this plane. That would really help it float a little lighter.
highflier is offline Find More Posts by highflier
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 20, 2009, 06:39 AM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
You forgot to post a picture. Nice report.

The short nose is due to the fact that when this kit was designed, you needed about a pound of NiCd in the nose to have enough power to fly. Now we can put in the same amount of power in a 2oz LiPo, and can use a much smaller motor, the models end up being tail heavy..
..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old Aug 20, 2009, 05:23 PM
The Lone Blue Plaid Flyer
Seattle
Joined Jan 2003
7,585 Posts
Hi HF,

WOW what a great report. Andy's right, how about a nice photo of you and the plane. First flights are always fun, and nerve racking. Glad your's went so well. Congratulations.

Bob in Seattle
Bob Cook is offline Find More Posts by Bob Cook
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 20, 2009, 09:14 PM
Speed cost money.
Joined Dec 2002
3,044 Posts
Well I was alone, But I felt bad about the no pic, so I flew it again tonight. The camera was acting up, Had a hard time getting it out of movie mode. the switch is going bad. If the pic is worth anything at all I will post it. I was flying with one hand trying to snap a pic with the other :/

Highflier
Old Aug 20, 2009, 10:31 PM
Good, fast or cheap, pick two
Napa, California
Joined Jul 2006
2,600 Posts
Don't worry Highflyer... just tell us that it was awesome, and, well, like all good fish stories, we'll make up the visual details!!

I bet it was fun!!

Rob
The pics will be well worth the wait, I'm sure.
robh is offline Find More Posts by robh
Old Aug 21, 2009, 07:50 AM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
Didn't mean you had to risk your model for a photo! On the ground is fine too!
..a
Old Aug 22, 2009, 04:20 PM
Speed cost money.
Joined Dec 2002
3,044 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by robh
Don't worry Highflyer... just tell us that it was awesome, and, well, like all good fish stories, we'll make up the visual details!!

I bet it was fun!!

Rob
The pics will be well worth the wait, I'm sure.

LOL the pics are not that great

The one in the air is the electra. Looked much closer in lower in real life. I was focusing on flying not on the camera as you will see,

The other 2 are of my next day of flying, you will see a variety of planes
1 72" electric Telemaster (This will be my tug plane)
2) 72" Spectra converted to brushless and rebuilt from a tree attack
3) Little Cchristian Eagle. This is my small plane that handles a breeze quite well. MY other small stuff has to wait for calmer air. I am always supprised how this plane does in wind.
4) Combat wing. 20+ kills and still flying well, It will fly when weather has grounded everything else.
Old Aug 23, 2009, 07:14 AM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
Pics! Yeah..

Nice chair for thermalling!
..a
Old Aug 25, 2009, 11:04 AM
Speed cost money.
Joined Dec 2002
3,044 Posts
Here is a link to another flight report that has a picture of the electra and me.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...5#post12957689

Highflier