Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jul 31, 2005, 02:13 PM
Woodland Park, CO
Joined Jul 2000
828 Posts
Gallery
New Liftworx Swyft replaces Seeker

A week ago I ordered a Seeker from Scobie at Liftworx. He sent me this in reply to a question I had e-mailed him.

NEWS
You're catching Liftworx at a very interesting and exciting time. I'm making a transition to a new aircraft, called the Swyft, that will be replacing the Seeker here at the end of the month. The Seeker has truly launched Liftworx and has been an amazing kit for many builders and flyers all over the world, but I haven't been sitting still here at Liftworx. We've spent real time looking for improvements to make, and over time, we've found them. The new Swyft kit is $89 and incorporates so many changes and improvements that we decided it really is it's own model and should have a new name and identity.

I just got another message that the new kit will be shipping probably next Friday. I don't know much about the original Seeker except for what I've read here, but I'm looking forward to the new version. Will keep you all posted.
Tim K is offline Find More Posts by Tim K
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 31, 2005, 06:35 PM
Southern Rockies
Joined Jan 2002
328 Posts
Hmm, sounds interesting. Nothing on the Liftworx website yet.

Leverick
leverick is offline Find More Posts by leverick
Old Jul 31, 2005, 10:20 PM
Oregon, United States
Joined Jul 2004
1,123 Posts
OK Scobie, cats out of the bag!

Now lets see some pics and specs!

My seeker order is on hold pending this NEW development.

I can't stand the suspense!
Tony
Tshires is offline Find More Posts by Tshires
Old Aug 05, 2005, 02:42 PM
Seattle Washinton
Joined Sep 2003
69 Posts
Hey, guys,
I'm thrilled to be getting close to Swyft release!
I am so engaged in finishing the manual, and creating new video, and working the new website, and managing a virtual workshop for prototype builders, and creating the first production runs, that I have NO time to lurk on RC Groups, and catch these threads so if you need info, bug me at:

scobie@liftworx.com

at least long enough to let me know I should comment on a thread here at RCGroups.

However.....try to keep your questions concise. The more time I spend answering emails, the later the product comes out.... :-). (I can't handle the little emoticons provided on the RC group menu, so I go retro)

As you all know, I have taken great pains through the growth of liftworx, to keep order turnaround down to a day or two for 99 percent of my transactions, but there is an amount of demand for the Swyft that may simply not make this possible in the first couple of production runs.

I do expect to be shipping several waves of the new kits during the next two weeks, and not every slot is taken yet. First come first served.

A paid order will secure you a place in the shipping queue. You can now shop online or be in touch with me by email.

Thanks SO much for your support.

Lift,
Scobie at Liftworx
www.liftworx.com

PS: I'm attaching a simple brochure in pdf, so you can get the basic comparison points to the Seeker.
Scobie is offline Find More Posts by Scobie
Old Aug 05, 2005, 03:16 PM
United States, CA, Fremont
Joined Nov 2003
1,973 Posts
Scobie,

I am a very happy owner of Seeker and love to hear that you have a even better one.
The most part that ineterests me is the "finished kit goes from flat box to launch in 30
seconds… with no tools!"

-Kai
Kai@UCSB is offline Find More Posts by Kai@UCSB
Old Aug 05, 2005, 03:36 PM
Seattle Washinton
Joined Sep 2003
69 Posts
flat to flight in under a minute...

is the new tag line for this feature. We tried to shoot a video that had it in under 30 seconds, but it was a bit insane. Honestly, I think I COULD do it in under 30 with some practice, but it took me more like 40 seconds when I wasn't being totally frantic about it, so it seems cooler to just say under a minute, and beat that by a LOT.

This quick assembly feature rocks. The servos now stay with the aircraft, the radio gear is totally organized into a folding mylar channel, the wings clip onto a stub spar using a separate joiner on each side, and the elevator snaps in place using a really cool little snap clip that comes as a laser cut plastic part. No more screw axle in the elevator mount: the axle is carbon now, and permanent.

Being able to pack the Swyft down and re-assemble it so quickly makes it so much fun to do, that there is just no hesitation about doing it. This means the plane takes less hangar rash (car door rash, whatever... I know you know what I'm talking about), and you really are motivated to take it along anywhere... just in case a flying opportunity comes up.

The tailboom is fully SIX INCHES longer, but the Swyft still breaks down into a box that's as short as one wing.

I can't emphasize enough how totally differently constructed the whole center section is in order to make all this possible... it doesn't show up in a photo of the plane itself, but the whole thing is pretty neato, and has some very clever micro-plywood parts in it... even a little building jig that is cut into the plywood part sheet. You build the jig, then use it to build the stub spar... it's pretty fun.

Oh, man, I could get sucked into this thread... I gotta go work.

Thanks again to everyone for sharing the joy of this kind of flight. It's my aim to make both building and flying more fun than ever.

Lift,
Scobie
Old Aug 05, 2005, 04:04 PM
Throw Caution to the Wind
Grand Junction, Colorado
Joined Feb 2004
2,651 Posts
Okay, okay! I want one!

I'll have to wait a bit to get one, but I DO Want One!
Lavawing is offline Find More Posts by Lavawing
Old Aug 05, 2005, 06:58 PM
Lindenwold, NJ, USA
Joined Dec 2000
3,147 Posts
Does it have the same wingspan and airfoil?

Sorry, checked the website and and it is the same wingspan.
John Gallagher is offline Find More Posts by John Gallagher
Last edited by John Gallagher; Aug 05, 2005 at 07:12 PM.
Old Aug 05, 2005, 07:07 PM
Seattle Washinton
Joined Sep 2003
69 Posts
answers

The wingspan is the same, but the longer tail has a strange visual effect: everyone who sees it SWEARS up and down that the wingspan is longer... but it isn't. There are only very minor tweaks to the airfoil, but there is an interesting change in CG. We're using the foil at a further aft CG, which is having some very nice effects.

-Scobie.
Old Aug 05, 2005, 07:41 PM
Woodland Park, CO
Joined Jul 2000
828 Posts
Scobie,

Back to work! How are you going to ship my plane if you're spending all your time with us?!

Kidding aside, I'm sure looking forward to receiving it. I'm planning to build a travel box for it that will also hold the TX, charger, and a few tools. I've tried to travel with planes packed in suitcases before with pretty poor success. I haven't decided on a material for the box yet, but I'm leaning towards baltic birch plywood. Any thoughts or experience?

Tim
Old Aug 06, 2005, 01:46 AM
Oregon, United States
Joined Jul 2004
1,123 Posts
Scobie is saying NO TOOLS so what are you thinking?

Just wondering if he is serious. I have a date in Central Park in three weeks. Hmm...I wonder..Could it be done? I think the first thing that got me interested in this plane was seeing it flown there?

The Seeker that is. Now for something better...
Tshires is offline Find More Posts by Tshires
Last edited by Tshires; Aug 06, 2005 at 02:21 AM.
Old Aug 10, 2005, 08:11 PM
Woodland Park, CO
Joined Jul 2000
828 Posts
Just got notice that the Swyft shipped today.
Old Aug 10, 2005, 08:23 PM
United States, CA, Fremont
Joined Nov 2003
1,973 Posts
i am really looking forward for the quick-field-assembly video

-Kai
Kai@UCSB is offline Find More Posts by Kai@UCSB
Old Aug 10, 2005, 10:25 PM
Seattle Washinton
Joined Sep 2003
69 Posts
Hey everyone, Scobie at Liftworx here.
A VERY FEW Swyft kits shipped today to those earliest on the list. Still, it means the manual is done, and more shipping is imminent. For a plane that I tried to essentially keep secret, there sure are a lot of orders.

You may begin to hear from folks in my virtual workshop. I sent out prototype kits to a select few, who built the kit in installments from instructions sent in segments over the web. Some of them are almost finished. We've had a great time communicating back and forth and solving little glitches

I'd finish a few steps, and send them out. These guys have been awesome in giving me feedback, and I think the manual is a much much better thing because of all of them. And they are brave builders. Imagine not being able to read ahead... because there IS NO ahead to read... :-). Every step taken on faith, essentially.

So, the manual finished out at around two hundred annotated photos and illustrations, and lots of very detailed text with techniques, etc., plus the whole section on balancing, test flying, and even learning more advanced flight. I'm a tired pup, but it was FUN, and I sure am excited to be getting it out in larger numbers....

when I get back.

That's right, I leave tonight for a wedding in Virginia that's been on my calendar for months, I'll be back to work on Monday. I'm reachable some of the time on my cell phone, which you get the number for by calling the main line on the contact page of the website.

So, if new folks come onto this thread, and haven't read this email, let 'em know that I'll be out of touch for four days, and then back full time again on Monday.

Thanks for the enthusiasm. It was a part of the help I needed to keep me taking pictures and typing late into the night.

Lift,
Scobie at Liftworx.
www.liftworx.com
Old Aug 16, 2005, 07:45 AM
Woodland Park, CO
Joined Jul 2000
828 Posts
The Swyft has landed!

The box arrived at the PO on Saturday. Someone asked me offline if I was going to do a build thread, and I said I thought so. Now, having seen the incredibly detailed instructions, I'm wondering if it's worth the time. I didn't count the pages, but it is without doubt the most complete manual I've yet seen.

Are you guys interested in a build thread anyway? If so, I'll post a few pics as I go along but not a ton of detail.

I'm working out of town all this week, so all I can do is study the manual. Grrrr.

Oh yeah, the kit contents looked great. I didn't unpack the box much as I was running low on time, but at first glance everything looked first rate.