Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Mar 23, 2013, 05:12 PM
Joined Jul 2012
14 Posts
Discussion
Santisima Trinidad

Well...Here I go.

First off, I will clarify that most of what I build will be based on what Lucc did. I consider that his thread is a good guide. I have never built a boat in my life, and the San Juan I have started doesnt count, its a Kit.

With that said, I shall explain what I have done so far:

To start of with, I have invaded my fathers Workshop in the garage (always a dangerous thing) and taken over some of his tools (Very dangerous business! )

With a healthy sized plan on a scale 1:50 as my friend, and several hours hard work, I managed to draw the frames and keel on the 1cm thick plywood I was going to use.
After that, we begin to cut. I'm missing a few frames that I wanted to double check before anything else, as I wasnt entirely sure they were OK.

Things to do:

I noticed the grooves are missing. Dot know how that happened...so, I'll see if I can have them done tonight and ready by tomorrow morning, and glue them in place before midday.
Issus38 is offline Find More Posts by Issus38
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 23, 2013, 05:54 PM
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Aug 2012
415 Posts
Hi Issues38

Excellent! Will be watching with much interest. I can't think of a better example then Lucc's for this one. : )

Kind regards
Tim
TBowman is offline Find More Posts by TBowman
Old Mar 24, 2013, 04:01 PM
Joined Jul 2012
14 Posts
Right, grooving took a while longer than I tought it would. Worst of all, I still dont understand how I've done it.

I have made a critical error while making the frames. I cut the inside of the frame levelling at W.L1 The idea was to use it as an alignmet point. I miscalculated...should have levelled at W.L 3. Oh well, its not too bad, as I have 2 other alignment points in the frames and keel.

So, tomorrow, when I'm done with my chores, I'll make sure all the frames are aligned, and glue them in place!

If anyone has a suggestion, or beleives something I'm doing is wrong, please do tell, as I'm learning as I go (best way to do it, always keeping in mind "measure twice, cut once")
Last edited by Issus38; Mar 24, 2013 at 04:11 PM.
Old Mar 28, 2013, 12:46 PM
belgium,limburg
Joined Sep 2009
380 Posts
Quote:
always keeping in mind "measure twice, cut once")
If you do that, there is no problem. the plans are very good

Don't use the waterpump like me, use a motor and prop on the rudder like danl and meatbomber and all the rest , it's better.
lucc is offline Find More Posts by lucc
Old Mar 29, 2013, 10:38 AM
Square-rigger
Klatovy, Czech Republic
Joined Mar 2004
3,338 Posts
Pffftt lucc i don't use any engine on my sailships. It encourages bad sailing habits if you do!
Besides it takes away the enjoyment of mastering the pond
meatbomber is online now Find More Posts by meatbomber
Old Apr 01, 2013, 10:20 AM
Joined Jul 2012
14 Posts
Somethings cropped up, and I'm afraid that the project is on hold for the time being.

However, I do hope that by next weekend, everything will be sorted out and I can continue the build.

Thank you for your patiencie
Old Jun 17, 2013, 06:41 PM
Joined Jul 2012
14 Posts
Ok, so things haven't settled down just yet, but now that I'm finished with my exams, and I finished moving all my stuff into a larger working space (Now I have all my geology models in the same place, yay!!), I believe I can continue working with the ST.

First thing is getting some light Wood, balsa would be the best choice, but I'll go with whats around. Maybe something a bit heavier would be better in the long run, as the damm where I plan to sail can have strong winds in summer, and I dont want the ship to be tipping over all the time.

It is fortunate that I never got round to gluing the frames to the keel. This way I can draw the shape staright from the frames. I'm wondering weather I should glue the frames to the balsa and then glue the whole thing to the keel, or glue the frames into position and then everything else.

I feel that everything must be prefectly aligned, to offer the best stability and speed when sailing...of course, if all goes wrong, I could always sand the thing into shape (artie laughs)

Also, I've been looking around to see the best way to fit the lead shot to the keel of the boat. So far, I'm still uncertain. I've been wondering about the posibility of putting in 3 lead shots, 2 light ones at the stern and bow, and a heavier one in the middle. Though I'm not sure what would happen, or if it does anything...

And finnally, I'm happy to announce that I've succesfully made a salvaging operation on my brothers old RC boat!! I found it in the garage in a terrible state, but I fixed it! Well almost, I thing there's something wrong with the reciver unit, and it's missing a sheet clamp, which I'm going to have to make myself, since in this country, all the RC dealers are grouchy men who dont take you seriously because you look like a 16 year old....honestly, its very frustrating.

I'll post a picture tomorrow. It's a robbe "Dolphin".
Old Jun 19, 2013, 01:37 AM
Damp and Dizzy member
Bozeman, Montana, United States
Joined Aug 2003
3,386 Posts
1. Any weight you install inside the hull should be removable. Inevitably, you will want to reduce the weight at some point in time, and if it's glued in, it may be impossible to remove. Been there done that.

2. I'd put the weight outside the hull, at the bottom of your fin keel. You will need a finkeel if you want to work to windward. Scale effects require more keel area than a model hull provides, and a finkeel not only provides the area, but also gives your weight a longer lever arm...so you can get by with less lead. My finkeels are all removeable, making transport to and from the pond easier (and also making storage of the ship at home easier).
Brooks is offline Find More Posts by Brooks
Old Jun 19, 2013, 02:28 AM
belgium,limburg
Joined Sep 2009
380 Posts
All the weight under the keel ,or you get into trouble later.
In the schip a little weight to get here Nice on here waterline.
Old Jun 19, 2013, 11:31 AM
Joined Jul 2012
14 Posts
Check, all weight detatchable. I found and incredible hobby store today, by chance. There I was walking to college, and I spotted it in a Little Street.

It's more for air modeling tan anything else, but it still had a great balsa Wood supply, and plenty of other goodies I might check up on later on.

There were short on 20mm and 30mm balsa, but they said thell have more in tomorrow, so for the time being, I'm still cleaning out the Dolphin

She was a mess when I dug her out of the garage. The mast was glued to the hull with superglue. the rudder was in pieces, and the sails were tangled up.

Had to completly strip her down, and start fresh with her. No hull damage, and she floated, so cleaned out the hull with water and a little soap. Next I fixed the mast in place, and then rigged her up. She's missing an piece and the R/C doesnt work. The servers are fine, and the battery is new, so I'm guessing its the on/off switch. I cant get it out, because its glued, so...

Anyway, heres a pic!
Old Jan 14, 2014, 03:52 AM
Joined Jul 2012
14 Posts
Im not dead, if anyone was wondering. Neither is the boat. A lot of stuff has happened in the last 12 months, and I had toput everything aside.

But, bad times come and go, and I know have a wee bit of time to get back to messing about, and a new room for it too. It's not quite finished yet. I still need to hang a few shelves and I'm looking into hanging an extra table from the ceiling (It's a heavy thing, so I'm kinda scared it'll fall on my head)

As for the boat, I did get round to gluing the frames to the keel, using string to align, and I'm trying to build a platform of sorts that will allow me to pull out the batteries if the need arises. The balsa is cut to messure and ready for glueing, but still need to figure out the pump system Lucc had.

Hopefully, nothing else will happen and I'll be able to make some progress on this
Old Jan 18, 2014, 10:17 AM
belgium,limburg
Joined Sep 2009
380 Posts
don't use the pump system, it's not strong enough.

Use DANL system with a prop on the rudder.
Old Apr 13, 2014, 02:57 PM
Joined Jul 2012
14 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucc View Post
don't use the pump system, it's not strong enough.

Use DANL system with a prop on the rudder.
If you don't mind, where can I find it?

Also, progress is again!! stuck...I can't catch a break to sit down and do some actual work...